PDA

View Full Version : preheater hose (aka "hot air pipe")

bongbang
06-15-2009, 02:54 PM
I need a new preheater hose (http://www.bkhondaparts.com/billkay/jsp/prddisplay.jsp?catcgry1=ACCORD&catcgry2=1986&catcgry3=3DR+DX+NON-PASSIVE&catcgry4=KA4AT&catcgry5=EXHAUST+MANIFOLD+%281%29&ListAll=All&vinsrch=no&systemcomp=Engine&prdrefno=&quantity=0&act=&count=0&hidSwitch=Switch&hidIrno=%7C004) for my 86 DX. The generic hoses carried by online and offline stores are too big (1-1/2" or above, whereas the real McCoy is 1-1/4" at most). I don't want to spend $40 plus shipping for the OEM part. Any ideas? Thanks.

gtmst3
06-15-2009, 04:28 PM
junk yard?

w261w261
06-15-2009, 04:55 PM
Lots of heat-shrink tape? Maybe a marine dealer? I like the JY idea. If yours is totally shot, maybe you can pull one out of a wreck that's fixable.

conozo
06-15-2009, 06:33 PM
i might have mine laying around. Its in good shape if i still have it. Ill check tomorrow morning and let you know.

bongbang
06-15-2009, 10:24 PM
Conozo:

I look forward to your finding. It would be great if you did have it.

gtmst3, w261:

The junk yard option occurred to me, too, but the one that bothered to reply to my car-part.com inquiry wasn't willing to sell it to me for some reason. I talked to a couple of local ones on the phone, and the impression I get from talking to them is that if they can't find a part in their database (and the pre-heater hose won't be listed), you'll have to do the scavenger hunt yourself. Is this the case with most junk yards (I've never bought from one before)? I hate the idea of wandering under the hot Texas sun with no guarantee of finding the right car, let alone the right part.

labeledsk8r
06-15-2009, 10:37 PM
^^ but thats half the fun!!

carotman
06-16-2009, 07:20 AM
labeledsk8r is right, there's no point in going to a junkyard if you're not scavenging anything :D

conozo
06-16-2009, 07:33 AM
sorry man, i cant find it. But you can definitely find one in the junk yard.

bongbang
06-16-2009, 08:18 AM
How much should it cost at the junk yard? $5 would be acceptable to me, but I've never bought from a junk yard before.

Also, I need a right-hand side mirror. Is $30 about the right price? Thanks.

conozo
06-16-2009, 08:36 AM
yea, those seem like average prices, i wouldnt go any higher on the mirror.

Im assuming you have a hatch with manual mirrors. If thats the case then you need to get a mirror either from another hatch, or a coupe, 4door mirrors wont work.

w261w261
06-16-2009, 02:16 PM
<< I hate the idea of wandering under the hot Texas sun with no guarantee of finding the right car, let alone the right part >>

Junkyards are fun, definitely one of the 1,000 places to go before you die.
Watch out for: JY Dogs, that are *usually* chained up, and don't go reaching into shady places where a snake might go to get out of that "hot Texas sun."

Dr_Snooz
06-16-2009, 07:43 PM
Junkyard FTW!!! It's better than Disneyland for 3g owners. Go there tomorrow!

danny nr crew
06-16-2009, 08:14 PM
shit junk yards are like car heaven for me ull never know wat u can find in one its always and adventure

headbanger
06-16-2009, 08:37 PM

lol. this is a fact I usually always leave with more than what I went for.
:kekeke:

mephi
06-17-2009, 12:05 AM
I have one I'll part with for $1 plus shipping. If you were local I would just drop it by. It's a little frayed at 1 end, but completely intact. If you want it, PM me.

MessyHonda
06-17-2009, 11:28 PM

yeah...i love junkyard runs...and try to find rare stuff

bongbang
06-18-2009, 01:14 PM
Gentlemen,
I visited four junkyards today (I've got pictures to prove it). While it was indeed interesting, I came home empty-handed. One yard falsely confirmed on the phone that they had the mirror (they told me to call back later, as if they were going into the yard to check) when in fact they didn't. Once I got down there and found only the hose, they wanted $10 for it, saying that it was the minimum sale. I refused to reward such sleaze and walked out.

The other three yards were more forthright, but two didn't have any 3Gs and one didn't have the mirror and wanted $10 for the silly hose, too.

Fortunately, Memphi has made a generous offer above, so I'll take him up on it. What a great forum. Thank you all very much.

ecogabriel
06-19-2009, 07:12 AM
Hello,

Take a look here,

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php

They seem to carry those (yours is a carb-Accord, right?)
My shopping experience with them has been positive.

I think you should check how those hoses are measured (either by inner diameter or outer dia.) to avoid getting the wrong part; besides, they are not cheap at all.

Good luck