PDA

View Full Version : Please help me troubleshoot a high idle...

OptimusPrimeSr
06-16-2009, 11:50 AM
87 lx accord (5spd) -- 175kmi

Problem: The car starts fine. The idle immediately jumps up to 2k-2.4k rpms and then shortly drops down to 800-900rpms after the engine is warm (or I give the gas pedal a tap).

The problem starts after ~15-20 minutes of driving. I'll come to a stop and the idle creeps up to 2k-2.5k and sits there. I've tried tapping on the gas pedal, but that has no affect on the idle. Turning on the AC will only drop the idle about 200-300rpms, but then it immediately goes back up (sometimes higher) after turning it off.

Actions: From searching around, I'm going to check the following...

1. PCV for suction
2. throttle cable / gas pedal return sticking
3. thermostat (need to read through the haynes on how to check this)

By the way, this just started happening when the weather got HOT...no issues in previous years or in winter/cooler seasons.

OptimusPrimeSr
06-18-2009, 10:02 AM
was able to reproduce the issue yesterday and tried the pulling back on the gas pedal which quickly brought the idle back down to 800rpms.

codyJDM
06-18-2009, 10:46 AM
Your throttle cable is not in its brackets. Happened to my old car a long time ago. Make sure it isnt binding and then adjust accordingly.

LX-incredible
06-18-2009, 12:22 PM
Cable might have broke at the firewall. There should be an adjustment screw on the choke linkage to drop the cold idle, if that's even part of your problem...