PDA

View Full Version : Pop!!!

TsubohachiLX-i
06-16-2009, 01:38 PM
Hello 3GEEZ!

For a week now, I've been hearing a sudden "pop" sound that comes from the front end of my LX-i. It only happens when I REVERSE, and turn the steering wheel all-the-way to the right or left. The pop is so powerful that I can "feel" it in the floorboard, as if something broke. I'm thinking that it may be my DRIVER SIDE CV Joint, because it wasn't making those sounds before I replaced it...

Maybe the mechanic didn't put it on correctly, or forgot to lubricate...

What do you think...?

carotman
06-16-2009, 03:53 PM
Could be the radius rod too.

Bass Man
06-16-2009, 04:18 PM
That adjustable rod in the front of the lower arm? That would be a good call. I can see it popping if the nut was loose, or even the bolts that hold it to the Arm.

If it's a continuing pop, it could be the CV, but if it's an initial pop, than I would check every bolt in the front suspension.

ArokASE88LXi
06-17-2009, 05:14 PM
Ball joint??

itzdave
06-17-2009, 07:49 PM
is it one pop or multiple, does it do it while the car is in motion or just when you shift it into park?
i would guess that if it does it repeatedly per shift, then it could be the cv joint maybe not installed correctly.
or if it just does it once i could see it being a ball joint or or maybe the radius rod, could have gotten damaged during the installation of the new cv...

TsubohachiLX-i
06-18-2009, 03:12 PM
ITS ONE POP SOUND ONLY WHEN I REVERSE, WHILE TURNING THE STEERING WHEEL TO THE LEFT OR RIGHT. There's no popping when driving normally, nor when I shift to another gear. JUST WHEN I REVERSE......

Bass Man
06-18-2009, 03:55 PM
Raise and support the car in the front, take the key out to lock the steering wheel pretty close to straight, then have someone hold the brake while you jiggle both tires and wheels. Look for up and down and side to side play, and if you don't feel any, get violent with it! Kick the side of the front of the tire, then the rear of the tire... Just listen for the same pop.
If you don't find anything, grab the axle and try to go forward and backwards with it.

Another thing is, those axles sometimes don't go all the way in, so check the transaxle for a gap between the CV axle and the transmission it slides into. There shouldn't be more than 1/8" gap.