PDA

View Full Version : this damn noise....

zigzag
06-17-2009, 09:56 AM
got my digital can today and popped the hood to record this 3 month ongoing noise.... would anyone know what this noise is? im leaning towards exhaust leak .... but it sounds like one of my bearings which would piss me off cause i just had all rod and main bearings replaced 4 months ago.... i really hope it isn't anything major >.< i can only hear the noise in low gears and when it downshifts after i give the car more gas to go. the car was in park this video.

i also have a video of underneath the car but you cant hear the noise. so i am thinking the noise may be coming from the top.. or the position of the camera sucked >.>

http://img190.imageshack.us/i/pict2188.mp4/

you don't have to listen to the whole thing if you dont want.. i wasn't expecting my camera to work this well :P if you guys need me to post the other video as well let me know.

thanks
-zigzag

LX-incredible
06-17-2009, 11:26 AM
Worn timing belt tensioner.

Civic Accord Honda
06-17-2009, 12:44 PM
sounds like its not running on all 4 cylinders correctly , check your plugs cap rotor wireset for starters

thegreatdane
06-17-2009, 02:50 PM
Bearings.

greentee76
06-17-2009, 05:47 PM
worn timing belt tensioner.

+1

zigzag
06-17-2009, 07:44 PM
here i will post up the second video from underneath the car.it takes a few seconds to get things set up so you might want to fast forward to 26 seconds.... was weary about setting my camera underneath my car while it was running, but im glad it survived :P

http://img190.imageshack.us/i/pict2187.mp4/

Bass Man
06-17-2009, 10:14 PM
It sounds exactly how mine sounded when my oil pump blew an o-ring and ran at 4psi idle. When my main bearings got a little worse than yours, I pulled it and put an A20A3 in to replace it. Good little swap. Only took me a weekend, but I kept the A1 manifold.

Rendon LX-i
06-17-2009, 10:17 PM
timing belt is wayyyy to tight...i did that and it worn out my tensior so either lossen it or replace it

LX-incredible
06-18-2009, 09:36 AM
here i will post up the second video from underneath the car.it takes a few seconds to get things set up so you might want to fast forward to 26 seconds.... was weary about setting my camera underneath my car while it was running, but im glad it survived :P

http://img190.imageshack.us/i/pict2187.mp4/

I'm going to say tensioner again. Did you replace it when you had the belt off for the bearings? Did you adjust tension correctly, or just pry it tight?

Bass Man
06-18-2009, 03:44 PM
And since you had the engine rebuilt 4 months ago, if it's not the tensioner, I'll say spun rod bearring.

zigzag
06-18-2009, 04:35 PM
i dont know my dad and a friend did it while i was a work that day.. was the last thing to do after we swapped out the entire head.... this was about 8 months ago i think....

then after the head was replaced i was going to the junk yard to get a new cruise control switch and when i used it it wouldnt turn off and my car was stuck at 7500 rpms and i had to repeatedly turn on and off the car each time dropping the rpms down 500 till it was normal again.... that threw a bearing.. while i was at it i might as well of replaced all rod and main bearings.. paid a good friend who is a mechanic to replace them. he didnt pull the engine out fot he bay.. he jacked up the car and took off the oil pan and did them from there.... after it was done he told me to drive it easy for a week, and i did.. and it was very quiet. then maybe 3 weeks later i noticed the noise coming back.. it never got as loud as it was before, and instead of hearing it through all the gears loudly.. i only quietly heard them through the first 3 gears.... unless i was next to a wall and heard the echo....

thats pretty much the extent of my story as to how all this happened.... sorry its a bit long, but maybe it might help clear some things up.

-zigzag

AccordEpicenter
06-18-2009, 07:02 PM
im gonna go with main bearings here. It is def a bearing issue of some sort. My guess is the number 3 main bearing.

zigzag
06-18-2009, 08:56 PM
well if the bearing is the case then i might have a while considering the noise level hasn't risen since i first heard it. and hopefully by that time ill have enough for an A20A2 engine.

Bass Man
06-18-2009, 09:50 PM
A2?! Where do you live?! I would go with an 88-89 A3 (or A4) and put the manifold on the A3/4 head. That's acually what I did, lol... It's cheaper to get a junkyard long block with 105k miles than it is to rebuild the whole engine and have your caps machined(would need to be).

I always tell my patients the keep it under 4000 RPM and under 3/4 throttle for 4-500 miles, not just a week. Just run that engine till either it won't run, or you get another engine, cuz it sounds like it's a toast block(or not worth the money to machine).

zigzag
06-19-2009, 08:23 AM
hmmm.... sounds good to me.. how long do you think i have?

would anyone happen to know where to find an A20A3/4 engine? i was looking in the junkyard a month ago and found nothing.... what kind of gas mileage am i looking at with an A20A3/4 engine, ported manifold, 38/38 carb, and new exhaust >.<.... out of curiosity lol.... if i keep my foot out of it....