PDA

View Full Version : LX Sometimes Dies When Idling

PolyrhythmFX
06-17-2009, 05:48 PM
So I have an automatic 88 Accord LX Carb. The carb was supposedly rebuilt 1 1//2 yrs ago. Lately its been idling under 1000 rpms and at times randomly going up and down. Today the car died when I was traveling at about 35-40 mph. The oil pressure light and battery light came on and finally I got it going again. Later today, the car was acting like it was going to die on me again and the rpms would drop at or below 1000 while in 1st gear. At a stop light a minute later the car died again and I got it started then it dropped below 1000 rpms and died. I got it started again and kept it in neutral while reving the engine until the light turned green.

Any ideas?

itzdave
06-17-2009, 07:46 PM
check the fuel filters.
there are 2, one on the firewall in the engine bay, near the brake booster(little cylinder thing on the fuel line). the other is kinda in front of the fuel take under the car, its easily accessed by removing the rear drivers side wheel...

if that doesnt help, try checking for a vacuum leak maybe.

PolyrhythmFX
06-18-2009, 04:55 AM
Something I failed to explain properly is that when I was traveling 35-40 mph, it wasn't till I let off the gas entirely that it died.

I replaced the fuel filter last summer/fall so I will try replacing the other. Thanks