PDA

View Full Version : Comments On wickedaccord's B18C1 Swap

Site
10-01-2002, 11:23 AM
I am so stoked about wickedaccord's new engine - he's giving everyone he races the freak spanking of their lives! It's hilarious and satisfying to read about. I think he's easily gonna get $7,000 worth of enjoyment out of it.

wickedaccord - keep posting your stories, maybe it will inspire others to see that puttin $ into your car's performance is very worth it. Think about all the crap places we spend money, and then think about how much time we spend in/with our cars. Spending $ to enjoy your car more is an investment in life.

"i know i hurt my wallet, but hell, the need for speed. i cant wait to pull up to stangs and z28, look at them laughing at my lil 89 accord. green light and jus blow em away HAHAHAHA!!!"
-wickedaccord

Congrats, for real, man!

Read about his swap and his races:
http://3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6367
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6868

89AccordNate
10-01-2002, 12:12 PM
Kinda cool if your all about your image. But if I had 7 grand like that, I definitely wouldnt be dropping it into a motor. It would be going into an IRA fund or something so it could make more money :)......motors are a waste to me..mine works fine and I get there just as fast as the next dude who dropped 8 grand into his motor. Just I cant take off as fast.....woooooo!

Being 5 seconds faster to me in the 1/4 mile is nothing to me...but Im not a racer :). I could care less if people think im fast or not, if you dont race period, then how do they know?

They dont! Ill keep my happily thick wallet and have my slow car..

Nate.

Site
10-01-2002, 12:24 PM
88AccordNate wrote: "Kinda cool if your all about your image."

-Hey man, there's no reason to be critical about someone else's choice. People do things for different reasons. From your perspective and financial situation, to do an expensive engine swap is for image and is a bad use of money. From someone else's perspective, it could be a hobby done with discretionary funds. A person who does an expensive modification to a car may also have an extensive investment portfolio and is choosing to have fun with some extra money for enjoyment. Or that person could be making a choice from a variety of other acceptable and responsible motivations. I would be careful about applying your place in life to everyone else's place when evaluating people's decisions.

With that said, I think the engine is cool :D

88LXi68
10-01-2002, 03:00 PM
Here are my thoughts....

I think the swap kicks ass and he has been helping me with tips for when I do mine (LS/VTEC). As far as it being image I dont know. We all do things to our cars for certain reasons, like adding rims. lowering it etc etc. I think the engine is an investment. I can definitely see what Nate is saying, but everyone has their own preferences. My car is sentimental to me. My father always gave me a hard time whenever I did anything to it. Since he has passed away in August I am pretty determined to make this car a go/show car. I know I am going to be keeping my car forever or for as long as I can. It is my "tribute" to my dad. Also, my wallet isnt thick. I save up and save up and sell extra parts when I can. Otherwise, I am a poor college kid who knows he will be taking student loans next yr. OHH WELL thats life.

RobT5580
10-01-2002, 04:57 PM
I feel the same as Steve does and im poor because i spend all my money on my car. This summer alone my accord has changed from stock to halfway decent but i spend a few year on my other accord for someone to steal my hard earned money but now i am very cautious and enjoy my accord. I like seeing things like Wickedaccords swap because it shows potential for our cars and i have been planning a B-series swap for awhile. I am very determined to finish my car before i graduate college.

Stefi-blueLX
10-01-2002, 09:13 PM
So how many ponies is he running now? I'd love to do a swap someday... Stupid carb! :mad:

civteck
10-09-2002, 06:06 PM
sorry lxi68 i had a ls-vtec in my 88 dx, it was sick until i blew it up

Vega88lxi
10-10-2002, 05:05 AM
whats the advantage of puting a vtec head on a LS?

anchovies
10-10-2002, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Vega88lxi
whats the advantage of puting a vtec head on a LS?

vtec!!

88LXi68
10-10-2002, 12:41 PM
a little of both worlds...LS has more torque and vtec has a better highend. In essence its crazy. lol

Vega88lxi
10-10-2002, 03:35 PM
a little of both worlds...LS has more torque and vtec has a better highend. In essence its crazy. lol
OK I undrestand, but is it really that much of a diference?

I heard that non-vtec b18's are better for turbo, is this true?

88LXi68
10-10-2002, 08:07 PM
yea non- vtec b18s are better for turbo because they have less compression than vtec b18s. My setup that I will run is looking at 180-195hp to the wheels. so you be the judge if its worth it.

quagmire
10-10-2002, 08:56 PM
Another reason that the non-vtec motors are considered better for a turbo is that the 2nd(or 3rd?) cam after the vtec crossover has more valve overlap. Thats where the intake and exhaust valves are open simultaneously, so the exiting exhaust can create a better suction for pulling in the intake charge than vacuum alone. On a turbo motor this isnt needed because of the compressor, so with lots of overlap all you higher pressure air and fuel get blown out. Skunk 2 makes vtec cams that let you keep the more lift and duration without the overlap for a vtec, but they havent been released yet.

Vega88lxi
10-11-2002, 06:39 AM
OK Ive been looking into swap heads and blocks alittle and It would seem to me that a b20z(cr-v) block with a b18c(gs-r) head would be the best way to go. I mean the b20z has almost h22 torque and the gs-r head has the high end vtec power. But since I havent heard it mentioned alot I think theres something not Ideal with the swap. Somebody let me know whats up with it.

quagmire
10-11-2002, 07:28 AM
Actually, when going for the LS-Vtec hybrid, you only have a few choices for heads. The b16 Vtec, the GS-R head (B18C1), and the Type-R (C5). As far as the differences between them, I dont have that info, this guy :http://www.b20vtec.com/frontpage.html used a C5 head. I'm sure the C1 head is just fine. However the guy from b20vtec.com warns that the cylinder sleeves are weak on the b20z. You might be better off grabbing a b18a from a 90-93 integra from a junkyard and resleeving it like he describes.

Vega88lxi
10-11-2002, 08:22 AM
or how about boring out a LS block to about 2 liters? wouldnt that bump up the torque.

88LXi68
10-11-2002, 03:46 PM
CRvtec produces more Hp than LSvtec, but I got a WHOLE LS engine for free. So I am not complaining.