PDA

View Full Version : engine questions

amcinstaller
06-19-2009, 08:02 PM
hey guys, looks like a great forum goin here. seems to be a huge wealth of information here as well!

so anyway, ive got a 1989 honda accord exi (canadian model), and its just passed the 400,000 kms mark (250000 miles). awesome little car, despite fallin apart around me lol. its developed quite a brutal knock, im pretty sure its a rod bearing. it started only at high rpm (3500+ rpm) but now it starts at about 1500 rpm. on the other hand, im so embarrased of the noise i keep my foot off the skinny pedal more now so my fuel mileage has increased!

so far i did a compression test and found 145 psi in cylinders 1-3, and 135 psi in the 4th. havent had the chance to do a leak down test or pull the pan off.valve lash is great still, .006 on intake and .011 on exhaust. fuel mileage is good, about 20-24 mpg.

my local stealership told me 1000 bucks cdn for new bearings, rings, seals and gaskets. this would mean reusing my old pistons (let the flaming begin?)

i also have transmission shifting issues and i need a new rack. the power steering i can live with, its just a shudder when turning right, when hot.

so is my best bet going to be to rebuild this engine and transmission or try to fit another one in? if i go with a junkyard drivetrain, i might spend less but i wont know how long itll run for. im tryin to keep this cheap and kind of quick as this is my daily driver.

ArokASE88LXi
06-19-2009, 08:20 PM
if it only knocks at higher rpm than idle i'd guess there's not much damage i'd try pullin the pan and just replacing the bearings. it's a quick cheap fix and may last quite awhile in the mean time you can sock a little bit away to fix it completely. that's great compression especially for 250k (i'm american can't understand metric ha ha) i'd suspect the pistons and rods are just fine (assuming the bearing hasn't scored the rod but that's highly unlikely) i had the same thing happen to my 88, replaced the bearings and knock went away. i used some lucas additive and babied it until i could afford to buy some better rebuild parts (until i bought the 86 and the 88 became my parts car ha ha). shudder when turning sounds like it could be just low but you seem pretty knowledgeabe so i'm assuming you checked that already lol

ArokASE88LXi
06-19-2009, 08:22 PM
:welcome: Oh and Btw Welcome to the forum!! and your right there's a ton of knowledge on this site i know i learn somethin everytime i logon :cheers:

amcinstaller
06-19-2009, 08:55 PM
thanks! so i was reading in the "this damn noise" thread, and i was wondering, is it possible to do bearings in frame?? i had a look underneath and it didnt look like it to me.

ArokASE88LXi
06-19-2009, 09:25 PM
please elaborate on "bearing in the frame" i may just be having a brain fart lol

ArokASE88LXi
06-19-2009, 09:32 PM
:rofl:oh oh oh now i feel stupid you mean is it possible to replace the bearings with the engine still in the car. sometimes i space out lol :nuts:

ya it's totally possible you just remove the oil pan and the baffle, remove the rod caps, push the pistons gently up to the top. I use rubber hose on the rod studs so they don't hit the crank. once the piston is up and the rod journal is all the way down replace the bearing on the rod, pull it down on top of the journal, replace the bearing on the cap and torque it back on. it's really simple once you get the pan off. i had to do this to my 3000GT VR4 then i traded it in just in case

amcinstaller
06-20-2009, 10:57 AM
yea, i meant rod and main bearing with the engine in the car still, lol. i looked under and it looked to me alot like id have to remove the crossmember and exhaust to do this.

ecogabriel
06-20-2009, 11:04 AM
:
ya it's totally possible you just remove the oil pan and the baffle, remove the rod caps, push the pistons gently up to the top. I use rubber hose on the rod studs so they don't hit the crank. once the piston is up and the rod journal is all the way down replace the bearing on the rod, pull it down on top of the journal, replace the bearing on the cap and torque it back on. it's really simple once you get the pan off.

Right on!
I would add a few bits in case you do not have a service manual (download-able from here somewhere anyway)
ONe:DO NOT touch the bearings' side facing the journal with your fingers (don't know why though; maybe fingers' grease would affect bearings' finish).
Two: you may want to apply "assembly lube" in the bearing/journal surface. It comes in a tube like toothpaste (at least mine came that way) and its consistency will keep it in the journal surface thus providing critical lubrication when you crank the engine for the first time. You may skip it and use regular engine lube instead
Three: keep the area F...ing clean; the last thing you need is dirt getting into the engine at that time; make sure the garage floor is clean. You may also take the car to the wash and use a pressure hose to clean the underside as thoroughly as possible before disassembling (just remove the low plastic cover to have more room to insert the hose). Besides a clean working are it would give you the chance to catch on whatever oil leak may be in there

Good luck!

carotman
06-20-2009, 11:31 AM
Where are you from? It might just be cheaper to buy a lower miles engine and slam it in.

amcinstaller
06-20-2009, 03:55 PM
im in red deer, alberta canada. ive had a look around but the only decent yard close by is a total robbery. ill probly grab the bearings and try that. i have access to a shop that stays clean. thanks guys!

Ichiban
06-20-2009, 06:42 PM
im in red deer, alberta canada. ive had a look around but the only decent yard close by is a total robbery. ill probly grab the bearings and try that. i have access to a shop that stays clean. thanks guys!

Seriously??? You're in Red Deer??

Gimme a shout via PM and I can figure your shit out! I live at the corner of 67th street and 59th ave. Also have rebuilt 10+ engines!

Edit: I've also got 3 ish complete running engines for your car, but they're down in the Kootenay's, BC. Sounds like road trip time!

Edit edit: I'm also looking for a reason to book off extra days for Canada day long weekend. Road trip!!!

Edit etc....: I'm also a machinist.

Dr_Snooz
06-20-2009, 07:07 PM
I was gonna weigh in here, but if Guy's on the case, you're in good hands. You don't need anything from me. Welcome to the site!

carotman
06-21-2009, 07:24 AM
Seriously??? You're in Red Deer??

Gimme a shout via PM and I can figure your shit out! I live at the corner of 67th street and 59th ave. Also have rebuilt 10+ engines!

Edit: I've also got 3 ish complete running engines for your car, but they're down in the Kootenay's, BC. Sounds like road trip time!

Edit edit: I'm also looking for a reason to book off extra days for Canada day long weekend. Road trip!!!

Edit etc....: I'm also a machinist.

See :D

I knew someone in Canada would be able to help you :D