PDA

View Full Version : engine turns over, stalls immediately

jonny_warkentin
06-21-2009, 06:46 PM
The past few weeks I've had idle troubles - while in gear (automatic), the idle drops from 800rpm to about 200RPM, and goes back up when in neutral or park (although it sounds like its having a hard time running)

Today when I started my car, it turns over, the rpm's rise to normal, then it immediately stalls out. The carb on the car is a "re manufactured" deal, and its only like 3 months old, as I had problems with the original Honda carb on the car (couldn't adjust the choke, so the mechanic told me to buy a new carb)

Anybody have any idea what the problem is? I'm really starting to miss fuel injection :banghead:

Bass Man
06-21-2009, 06:49 PM
Do you have emissions testing?

jonny_warkentin
06-21-2009, 06:55 PM
Do you have emissions testing?

Yeah it passed aircare before...I haven't gone with this other carb though (and it was installed/tuned by a shop, so I don't believe its running lean/rich)

Bass Man
06-21-2009, 07:58 PM
Fuel pump or filter been changed lately? I was asking about the emissions because you can solve almost every problem by removing all that emission garbage.

jonny_warkentin
06-22-2009, 10:45 AM
Fuel pump hasn't been changed, no - but fuel filter has (one of them I think?)

Car has 148,000km's - is there a way to diagnose a fuel pump failure? Would the fact that I'm only getting 279 miles to a tank (13.21 gallons or 50 liters) have anything to do with that?

jonny_warkentin
06-22-2009, 08:28 PM
Started the car up this morning - started GREAT. Left it running for about 5 minutes...car sounded like the fuel wasn't getting to the carb as well as it should, RPM's were at about 1500 (usually they're at 2000 with the choke).

I pushed the pedal down to disengage the choke, and the car stalled instantly. Car wouldn't start unless I pumped the gas pedal, and even then it immediately stalled.

You guys think its the fuel pump?

Bass Man
06-22-2009, 08:52 PM
Either that or an accelorator pump. Swap out with a Weber and get rid of that mess of problems.

jonny_warkentin
06-23-2009, 11:52 AM
Either that or an accelorator pump. Swap out with a Weber and get rid of that mess of problems.

I'd love to swap out to a Weber (even though I just replaced the carb with a non-stock remanufactored model) but lack the funds for the upgrade. Don't I have to buy an adapter plate for it as well?

The shop quoted me $250 for the fuel pump and labor - if the carb is the issue, than I'll end up saving for the 38/38 (saw a new one on ebay)

headbanger
06-23-2009, 11:58 AM
I'd love to swap out to a Weber (even though I just replaced the carb with a non-stock remanufactored model) but lack the funds for the upgrade. Don't I have to buy an adapter plate for it as well?

The shop quoted me $250 for the fuel pump and labor - if the carb is the issue, than I'll end up saving for the 38/38 (saw a new one on ebay)

thats way to much on fuel pump you can get 1 for cheap an do it yourself in less than 45 minutes.

jonny_warkentin
06-23-2009, 02:38 PM
thats way to much on fuel pump you can get 1 for cheap an do it yourself in less than 45 minutes.

If there's anything electrical in my house, I do it myself (because I'm an electrician). If there's anything mechanical outside of oil changes and spark plugs, I get a mechanic to do it - I fuck EVERYTHING up. And I mean everything :rocket:

jasonrebellion
06-23-2009, 02:45 PM
Fuel pump hasn't been changed, no - but fuel filter has (one of them I think?)

Car has 148,000km's - is there a way to diagnose a fuel pump failure? Would the fact that I'm only getting 279 miles to a tank (13.21 gallons or 50 liters) have anything to do with that?

I didn't know that 3 gee's had different size gas tanks on them...mine holds 15.9 gallons according to the owner's manual

2oodoor
06-23-2009, 02:53 PM
that is low mileage
I would say you had a thermovalve problem or vaccum hose leaking some where. There are so many things outside the carb that control the idle servos on the blasted POS. Stalling that quick sound like a nice size vac leak.

Ichiban
06-23-2009, 03:00 PM
Check that stupid idle mixture solenoid. It's the only other wire going to the carb besides the choke.

jonny_warkentin
06-23-2009, 04:40 PM
I didn't know that 3 gee's had different size gas tanks on them...mine holds 15.9 gallons according to the owner's manual

Mine's an LX from Canada - so it has a 50L tank. I got better mileage out of my '86 carbed Civic...it was only a 40L tank and it got 500km's vs 450km on the Accord (with a way bigger tank!)

Bass Man
06-23-2009, 06:36 PM
Cuz something is messed up.

How far away from Oregon are you?

headbanger
06-23-2009, 07:27 PM
Check that stupid idle mixture solenoid. It's the only other wire going to the carb besides the choke.

idle mixture solenoid (indeed lol)

Civic Accord Honda
06-23-2009, 07:44 PM
there is 2 fuel filters.. one behind the rear drivers wheel which gets clogged alot and one in the ebay

88Accord-DX
06-23-2009, 08:07 PM
Yeah, replace all your vacuum lines, mixture solenoid & thermovalve... Then get back to us on how that B.S. goes......

Keep you eye on that WEBER on ebay & don't look back...........

jonny_warkentin
06-23-2009, 09:40 PM
Cuz something is messed up.

How far away from Oregon are you?

Heh well I *wish* I was alot closer to Oregon than I am (about 10 hours away in Vancouver, BC Canada)

I love that State...a couple years ago I went on a road trip up to North Bend and drove back down along the coast, camping. It was amazing :)

Bass Man
06-24-2009, 08:44 PM
Expencive to live here, though...