PDA

View Full Version : HID bulbs

HondaBoy
06-22-2009, 11:32 PM
my bimmer came with hids so all i've had to do is change the bulbs out to give it a little facelift. so since i'm getting ready to do some work on my 3gee i'm probably going to get an hid kit for the headlights i want to put on it. i have some projectors from a mitsubish 3000gt. so it will use some 9006 based bulbs.

i've ordered the bulbs from ijdmtoy.com, they seem to be pretty good for the price. anyways the kits are like $120 shipped, so i can handle that. i've gotten so used to hids that i think it will be a good idea to put them on the 3gee. i also had hids put on my '05 subaru that i used to have.

for the bimmer i ordered bulbs in 6000k. looks good, so i ordered some in 8000k and 12000k to see if i like those. they should be here friday.

here's some comparative pix, going from 4300k to 6000k.they are actually more blueish white than in the pix but you can definately see the difference.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/HondaBoySi87/Car%20Stuff/DSC07815.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/HondaBoySi87/Car%20Stuff/DSC07805.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/HondaBoySi87/Car%20Stuff/DSC07819.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/HondaBoySi87/Car%20Stuff/DSC07814.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/HondaBoySi87/Car%20Stuff/DSC07816.jpg

carotman
06-23-2009, 03:59 AM
Just don't, please.

Civic Accord Honda
06-23-2009, 04:35 AM
did we not just have a thread talking about how bad the hids are on the 3gee?

well we all know if alex sees this thread theres going to be some ass kickin up in here! haha

jk

but yeah please stick to hella h4s so you wont be blinding everyone else on the road due to not having a proper cut off.

HondaBoy
06-24-2009, 12:38 AM
maybe you didnt read it but i'm using projectors, not reusing the H4 housings. i'll have two separate high and low beams on each side. i wouldnt use the H4 housings unless i had an expensive properly fitted kit with the upper shield and hi/lo motor. thats too expensive though.

anyways, check out these LED headlight bulb replacements. i want to see what these look like so i'm going to go ahead and order some. if i like them i might use them in the fog lights. i dont think these are to be used to really see with, but more to be visually appealing.
http://store.ijdmtoy.com/Hyper-Flux-LED-Bulbs-Fog-High-Beam-Driving-Lights-p/led_flux.htm

carotman
06-24-2009, 05:44 AM
HID projectors will be wuite nice then (not 9006 projectors).

Don't go above 6000k if you want the maximum of light output (lumen)

86ccord
06-24-2009, 05:51 AM
the higher the number, the more color gets put into the light, which means the less brighter the light would be. so get the most whitest light you can w/o the blue tint that would be the brightest

w261w261
06-24-2009, 06:27 AM
You have to be careful with HID bulbs as straight replacements, because if their light patterns are different then you'll be blinding/irritating everyone coming at you (the blinding part is potentially much worse of course). A bike mag did a piece on replacement HID bulbs and rated them as too dangerous because of that.

Tommy AC89 Thailand
06-24-2009, 08:22 AM
I use HID Blue colour 12,000 K
http://rcw.ms/forums/picture.php?albumid=408&pictureid=4049

ZackieDarko
06-24-2009, 09:11 AM
you need to cut the h4 housings apart and retrofit some HID projectors in there if you want to do it right

google h4 HID conversion there is a jeep forum where a guy did it and has a write up

Tommy AC89 Thailand
06-24-2009, 06:44 PM
I use H4 HID bulbs.

HondaBoy
06-28-2009, 11:27 PM
i will be fitting the projectors in place of the pop ups, not using the existing set up. i'll make a new lens the same shape as the lid on the pop up. i've used 6000k bulbs, but am satisfied using 8000k instead. i already have fog lights on the car so its all good. i've already thought about other options, but this is what is going to work best for me.

the bulbs i've ordered for my bimmer were in 6000k, 8000k, and 12000k. the 12000k arent good for anything other than show use, imo. i'm sticking with the 8000k. thats also what i had on my subaru legacy.

believe me it will look amazing once i've put these projectors on. i've seen these projectors with HID bulbs, they dont glare much at all when properly aimed.

charliekuney
06-29-2009, 11:34 AM
Just go with Silvania Silverstars, or whatever; I have them in my 3g. They're pretty white/light blue-ish, and bright as hell. Plus, you don't have to improvise: they screw in like normal headlights...

LX-incredible
06-29-2009, 12:27 PM
Just go with Silvania Silverstars, or whatever; I have them in my 3g. They're pretty white/light blue-ish, and bright as hell. Plus, you don't have to improvise: they screw in like normal headlights...

And burn out 3X faster... At least that's what happened with 3 of mine.

I plan on using HIDs if I can find a way to do it without blinding the fuck out of everyone. They have quite a few bulb designs out there, some with reflectors to direct light downward and moving bulbs to keep the high beams. I wonder what the best bulb design/housing combo is.

Lil Mike
06-30-2009, 12:52 PM

+1 these bulbs are good, mine have been almost a year and still bright as hell.

Tdurr
06-30-2009, 08:57 PM
And burn out 3X faster... At least that's what happened with 3 of mine.

I plan on using HIDs if I can find a way to do it without blinding the fuck out of everyone. They have quite a few bulb designs out there, some with reflectors to direct light downward and moving bulbs to keep the high beams. I wonder what the best bulb design/housing combo is.

high beams are just flaps that release light further upwards.

but best combo without breaking bank is a Good E-code housing and HID's with a casper shield(many have them built in)

LX-incredible
06-30-2009, 10:26 PM
high beams are just flaps that release light further upwards.

but best combo without breaking bank is a Good E-code housing and HID's with a casper shield(many have them built in)

I knew about the magnetic moving bulbs/flaps. I guess they also have some dual tube HID H4s now as well... Quality looks pretty poor on those. Do you know of a good high/low kit with the "casper shields"? I can't seem to find anything that isn't chinny. From what I understand the philips H4 kits are chinese knock-offs as well.

HondaBoy
07-01-2009, 12:49 PM
i sell Sylvainia Silver Stars. they do seems to burn out more quickly that other bulbs i've used in my H4 conversions. IMO, the best and longest lasting bulbs i've used so far are Piaa. bought them once, and have never had them go out. i believe this is due to the filament design and properties of the glass used. very high quality, but not cheap of course.

MessyHonda
07-02-2009, 12:42 AM
yeah i burned out 2 silverstars...they are nice but not worth it...i just got some autopals h4 and they are doing alright....i wish i had hid but most cops around here would just pull me over...

ZackieDarko
07-02-2009, 06:23 AM
yeah i burned out 2 silverstars...they are nice but not worth it...i just got some autopals h4 and they are doing alright....i wish i had hid but most cops around here would just pull me over...

cliffs: california

w261w261
07-02-2009, 06:39 AM
i sell Sylvainia Silver Stars. they do seems to burn out more quickly that other bulbs i've used in my H4 conversions. IMO, the best and longest lasting bulbs i've used so far are Piaa. bought them once, and have never had them go out. i believe this is due to the filament design and properties of the glass used. very high quality, but not cheap of course.

I've had PIAA's and Sylvania's for several years, usually buying the Sylvania's when I need a quick fix. I agree that they don't last as long, but they're not near as expensive also. On balance, considering that it's a small pain to put in the bulbs, and I think the PIAA's look better, I'd go with PIAA.

charliekuney
07-02-2009, 10:45 PM
I've had PIAA's and Sylvania's for several years, usually buying the Sylvania's when I need a quick fix. I agree that they don't last as long, but they're not near as expensive also. On balance, considering that it's a small pain to put in the bulbs, and I think the PIAA's look better, I'd go with PIAA.

Are they available at your local Schuck's (Checker/Kragen)?

Civic Accord Honda
07-03-2009, 12:45 PM
i just used the cool blues.. cheap and look good lol but i wanted to go with autopals just never got a chance lol,

Tdurr
07-05-2009, 03:26 PM
I knew about the magnetic moving bulbs/flaps. I guess they also have some dual tube HID H4s now as well... Quality looks pretty poor on those. Do you know of a good high/low kit with the "casper shields"? I can't seem to find anything that isn't chinny. From what I understand the philips H4 kits are chinese knock-offs as well.

late reply but,

http://www.importatlanta.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234219

the H4's have a decent casper shield on the slim ballets.

HondaBoy
07-07-2009, 03:08 AM
seems i've misplaced one of the projector assemblies. i may just set them up for now in the H4 housing opening. not all ghetto though. hopefully i will find the other side since this should be a pretty easy mounting. if not, might just get some from another vehicle. possibly an infinity since i know they use high/low single projector setup. in any event, i hope to have something done in the next few weeks when i can find time to do so.

as far as decent H4 style based setups, havent seen anything really that great. thats why i'm not sticking with them. i'd really like to go with a D2S based bulb since they are an industry standard piece thats used in many hid projector headlights.

LX-incredible
07-14-2009, 11:02 PM
late reply but,

http://www.importatlanta.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234219

the H4's have a decent casper shield on the slim ballets.

I wound up getting a $200 EFX set on ebay. What a difference compared to the $100 HID low/halogen high set I bought from another jackass. Light pattern is much better with a decently sharp cutoff and high beams are brighter than a foglight.

MessyHonda
07-15-2009, 10:21 AM
whats the link?

HondaBoy
07-26-2009, 05:36 PM
i think i'm going to order a better setup from hella. i can get a bixenon setup to have a singal high/low setup on each side. they are going to run my about $65 each from my vendor. i would mount these behind a new lens and inner housing. possibly with a driving light mounted beside it.

http://www.partstrain.com/images/product_images/thumbs/hella/008193027.jpg

Sh4d0w
12-26-2009, 08:27 AM
Pix? Progress? I'm looking at getting some better headlights too, and am seriously looking at some HID's.