PDA

View Full Version : wind resistance

89lxisedan
06-23-2009, 09:12 AM
btw i figured general was the best spot for this but move it if necessary

ok so i have a problem with my 89 lxi sedan and wind reisitance. whent he headlights are up at night it breaks the wind and lowers my top speed down to 105 and yet during the day with the head lights down i can get up to 120 and also have a quicker acceleration now i was wondering if i could swap out a civic ef front end and eliminate this problem or even if i could swap in a 4g front end.

86AccordLxi
06-23-2009, 09:13 AM
Don't drive that fast.

I think that's the takeaway.

2ndGenGuy
06-23-2009, 09:14 AM
You should solve the problem by adding more power. It would be a lot less work, and your car will retain it's good looks.

89lxisedan
06-23-2009, 09:19 AM
Don't drive that fast.

I think that's the takeaway.

i only drive that fast when racing down the highway

You should solve the problem by adding more power. It would be a lot less work, and your car will retain it's good looks.

ya that's true i'll have to look into ways to add power to the a20a3 or what motors i could get my hands on inexpensively to swap in that has motor options

86AccordLxi
06-23-2009, 09:25 AM
Freeway racing a 3g??? :facepalm:

It ain't no supra.

89lxisedan
06-23-2009, 09:39 AM
ya i know i just have a little bit of an issue with a lead foot and the fact that i can beat tc's and c230's and also gave a mustang shelby supersnake a run for tis money and ahve no prolem running with some 90's jettas

2ndGenGuy
06-23-2009, 09:44 AM

It ain't no supra.

Pshuha!! It's practically a Supra!

86AccordLxi
06-23-2009, 09:46 AM
ya i know i just have a little bit of an issue with a lead foot and the fact that i can beat tc's and c230's and also gave a mustang shelby supersnake a run for tis money and ahve no prolem running with some 90's jettas

lol wut.

2ndGenGuy
06-23-2009, 09:47 AM
In the Togue, I think he means. :lol:

89lxisedan
06-23-2009, 09:53 AM
lol actually i was having no trouble keeping up with the mustang while racing down the freeway

2ndGenGuy
06-23-2009, 09:56 AM
He was fucking with you, man.

russ_512
06-23-2009, 10:00 AM
the only time i ever kept of with a gt was going down some curvy hightway and then on the straight-a-way he flippin took off

86AccordLxi
06-23-2009, 10:24 AM
In the Togue, I think he means. :lol:

Oh right, the 'touge' (... bro).

LX-incredible
06-23-2009, 10:40 AM
I nominate this for retarded thread of the week.

2ndGenGuy
06-23-2009, 10:49 AM
Oh right, the 'touge' (... bro).

Right, however you spell it. My JDM is a bit slow this week.

86AccordLxi
06-23-2009, 11:01 AM
I'm well versed in fanboi ;)

2drSE-i
06-23-2009, 11:02 AM
Psh the 700HP Supersnake is nothing, when i launch of the line against formula one cars, i have them by 9 car lengths at the end of the quarter mile. GGKTHX

gp02a0083
06-23-2009, 01:09 PM

It ain't no supra.

:uh:

like i said before , GO TO THE TRACK !! if you want to go fast

gp02a0083
06-23-2009, 01:11 PM
i nominate this for retarded thread of the week.

x2

Joay
06-23-2009, 02:01 PM
Responsible driving wisdom notwithstanding, get a set (or two, aimed differently) of foglights and mount them a couple inches behind your lower grille. Old street racing trick.

2oodoor
06-23-2009, 03:00 PM
I nominate this for retarded thread of the week.

second the motion all in favor say aye

it aint the headlights, wax on wax off wax off wax off

A18A
06-23-2009, 03:03 PM
aye

Ichiban
06-23-2009, 03:14 PM
Don't hold in your farts. Really reduces wind resistance.

:rice:

Civic Accord Honda
06-23-2009, 07:55 PM
if you install a civic front end on your accord 3geezus will come down from 3gheaven and smack the shit out of you and kill your car with fire.

now is your car an carb or efi? sounds like u need more power mine had no difference weather the lights were up or down (i just left them up since the motors were screwed) and it would still hit 125...

though i do not recommend it at all... your driving a car with 20 year old suspension here and its not a good idea to be going over 80 (that might even be pushing it) until you get all your ball joints ,tie rods , bushings , and struts replaced... don't want to be going 105 now and having your wheel slam back in to the inner fender now do we?

2ndGenGuy
06-23-2009, 08:29 PM
^^^ Wise words from CAH. :eek:

86ccord
06-24-2009, 05:57 AM
lame.

2drSE-i
06-24-2009, 07:26 AM
So if its 3geezus and 3gheaven,would that make it Civatan?

89lxisedan
06-24-2009, 10:41 AM
its efi

Civic Accord Honda
06-24-2009, 10:52 AM
probably just needs a good tune up then but like i said i dont recommend going that fast in a car this old until the suspension has been rebuilt

SZfiftyfour
06-24-2009, 11:28 AM
So if its 3geezus and 3gheaven,would that make it Civatan?

Civucifer

Ichiban
06-24-2009, 03:28 PM
probably just needs a good tune up then but like i said i dont recommend going that fast in a car this old until the suspension has been rebuilt

Did you have a bad suspension experience when you were a child? Fuck, I drove my truck with a broken leaf spring out of the bush and 20 km down the highway with the axle about 20 degrees wrong to what it was supposed to be. Brakes became steering, and CAH probably would have cried. Made it home fine.

2oodoor
06-24-2009, 03:39 PM
heh dont matter really, a tire could go, a varmit could dart out in front of you, your power steering hose could bust and put you in your own oil slick, hell anything could happen at 101 mph and send you in to a barrel roll to your demise. Hopefully no innocent varmits get hurt.

Civic Accord Honda
06-24-2009, 06:30 PM
Did you have a bad suspension experience when you were a child? Fuck, I drove my truck with a broken leaf spring out of the bush and 20 km down the highway with the axle about 20 degrees wrong to what it was supposed to be. Brakes became steering, and CAH probably would have cried. Made it home fine.

lol no i just learned its not a good idea after owning my 3gee... took it 125 on stright roads and up to 90 on back curvy roads with tie rods and ball joints that would have poped out of i hit a speed bump... and oneday driving around town in the 3g the radious rod nut poped off and caused the tire to slam back in to the fender.. no damage done but if that would of happened on the free way id be dead :P

honesty i just dont think its a good idea to be hualin ass in a car thats 20 years+ old... especially since im sure 80% of 3gee owners dont even inspect there ball joints and shit

the 91 civic never even goes over 85 due to the shit suspension (ok so its hit 110 once but that was on straight on the freeway with no one else in the car... car cant even go that fast with anyone else in it:lol:) and the civic has new tie rods ... but there is an extremely bad shudder above 60 due to the broken axle (reminds me i gotta go to some shops tomorrow to get prices on that for my parents )
anyway
lets stop thread whoring now eh

89lxisedan
06-24-2009, 06:37 PM
ya i'm not worried about ball joints or anything because my dad inspects cars here in mass and he gave my car a full once over to make sure everything was ok and safe before he would even put a sticker on it and let me take it away

Civic Accord Honda
06-24-2009, 06:42 PM
ya i'm not worried about ball joints or anything because my dad inspects cars here in mass and he gave my car a full once over to make sure everything was ok and safe before he would even put a sticker on it and let me take it away

good stuff then :flash:

Ichiban
06-24-2009, 06:45 PM
lets stop thread whoring now eh

YOU have got to be fucking kidding me.:flash:

2ndGenGuy
06-24-2009, 06:49 PM

:bowrofl:

Civic Accord Honda
06-24-2009, 06:52 PM

:lol: :lol: i'm tired just got back from a 30 mile bike ride so don't feel like thread whoring all night

russiankid
06-24-2009, 07:17 PM
My LX can hit over 105 with the lights on, sounds like a driver issue.

Joay
06-24-2009, 07:19 PM
Yeah, but does your dad know you're going to be racing it on the other end of 100? :lol:

He probably made sure it's ok since you're his kid but it's still not entirely safe. I once drove an 86 Legend at like a buck-thirty in traffic, in the rain and the rear control arm was completely rusted out, but kids will do that...

Civic Accord Honda
06-24-2009, 07:33 PM
Yeah, but does your dad know you're going to be racing it on the other end of 100? :lol:

He probably made sure it's ok since you're his kid but it's still not entirely safe. I once drove an 86 Legend at like a buck-thirty in traffic, in the rain and the rear control arm was completely rusted out, but kids will do that...

mmm legend with bad suspension i remember that! :flash:

snoopyloopy
06-24-2009, 07:45 PM
lol jdm front end swap ftw?

accordion89
06-24-2009, 10:28 PM
lol, you should drive the speed limit, but thats coming from me, look at avatar

accordion89
06-24-2009, 10:33 PM
but really now, one good pothole or dip and your probally dead at 100mph

2ndGenGuy
06-25-2009, 08:42 AM
but really now, one good pothole or dip and your probally dead at 40mph

:dunno:

w261w261
06-25-2009, 09:25 AM
125 mph is on the lower edge of Very Serious Business speed-wise, in terms of control inputs and the general capabilities needed to be reasonably safe. Like anything else, experience is the best teacher, and unless you live on the desert and know the county mounties, or are able to get track time, how much experience does the typical 3G guy have at triple digit velocities? How able is he to cope with some unplanned event? IMO, almost none to both. When I read these posts I just hope I'm nowhere around when these guys do their thing. The average 3G just isn't ready (anymore) for that kind of speed, and the drivers who put themselves and probably others at risk with their old machinery.....dumb and dumber.

russiankid
06-25-2009, 11:41 AM
So I just read that you can take on so many powerful cars and they will have a run for their money. A stock 3rd Gen will never take on powerful cars. Hell my 3700lb BMW will take your 3gen any day. It will be much safer as the car weights more, has wider tires, has tires that are capable of handling 150mph, plus it has the stopping power that you do not.

LX-incredible
06-25-2009, 12:13 PM
So I just read that you can take on so many powerful cars and they will have a run for their money. A stock 3rd Gen will never take on powerful cars. Hell my 3700lb BMW will take your 3gen any day. It will be much safer as the car weights more, has wider tires, has tires that are capable of handling 150mph, plus it has the stopping power that you do not.

Naw man, one of these and some nozz will take your beamer any day...

http://noekiyu.com/honda/ricer2.jpg

lol.

w261w261
06-25-2009, 12:28 PM
I remember reading an article when the Bugatti Veyron first came out. In order to reach the 250mph top speed, you had to put a special key in somewhere, then the rear spoiler retracted to keep the aero drag down. This, of course, didn't help the stability, and the guy that drove it up to 250 said it was a dicey experience. Apparently, the directional was a little loose (at 250!). Yikes.

86AccordLxi
06-25-2009, 12:36 PM
Actually if you watch the Top Gear video where James May takes it to like 240mph or something, he reports is not as dicey as other cars and really isn't all *that* bad.

I mean, it's no 3g, but still.

2ndGenGuy
06-25-2009, 12:43 PM
James May took it to 253mph on that "secret" VW test course, and he thought it was pretty damn smooth. Even when hitting the brakes, he said it was very civilized. That video was fucking awesome. I mean Captian Fucking Slow going 253mph... Doesn't get much better than that.

markmdz89hatch
06-25-2009, 01:22 PM
btw i figured general was the best spot for this but move it if necessary

ok so i have a problem with my 89 lxi sedan and wind reisitance. whent he headlights are up at night it breaks the wind and lowers my top speed down to 105 and yet during the day with the head lights down i can get up to 120 and also have a quicker acceleration now i was wondering if i could swap out a civic ef front end and eliminate this problem or even if i could swap in a 4g front end.

...um, no. Can you swap in a 4G front end? Can you swap an EF front end? Yes to both, but you better be damn handy with a welder and have serious auto-body skills. Hell on that note, you can also swap on a '53 Caddy front end too, but how much work do you want to put on this.

i only drive that fast when racing down the highway

ya that's true i'll have to look into ways to add power to the a20a3 or what motors i could get my hands on inexpensively to swap in that has motor options

Do me a favor please. PLEASE don't look into ways to add power to you car. Please take time and read the first part of this last quote you just said. ...ok, now read it again. ...ok, now again. If you can't figure out what's wrong with that statement, go hand your keys to you dad and tell him not to let you have them back.

Ok, a C230 will whoop a 3G's ass, and against the Shelby, you might as well not even start your car because that thing will own a 3G on the highway. Twisties with a VERY well setup suspension and lots of power (not stock) in a 3G might take that bear, but otherwise, NO. You're talking about bringing a dog to a horse race. Taking the TC off a launch or deep on the high speeds, maybe, but again, not the venue.

lol actually i was having no trouble keeping up with the mustang while racing down the freeway

^^see above^^

its efi

..btw, that means fuel injected.

...a full once over huh? Damn that thing must be perfect then. ...ok seriously CAH (aka. CivicAccordHonda) has been known to be a loose cannon int he past, but even he is acting as a serious voice of reason in this case. Please listen to him.

So the moral of the story? ...ok, first, welcome to the board. Second, now that you've gotten your nice welcome, here's a touch of reality. MANY of us here have been here for quite a while, and many have not. Most of us that have been here a while actually had their 3G as their first (or one of their first) cars and has gone through our stages of denial. Many of us (including myself. ...yeah, BIGtime) came on here thinking our shit don't stink and we were the best drivers known to man and started making absolutely retarded claims, and announced plans to do virtually impossibly things to our cars. Some of us have done insane things to our cars, and some beyond that are actually making reality the 'virtually impossible' claims (buy VERY VERY few) putting them way up there on the power scale and ultra handling capabilities. Hell, some of us CAN keep up with that Shelby (your car NOT included, mine either for that matter). We all are well aware of the capabilities of these cars, and the capabilities of these cars in capable hands of VERY experienced drivers. ...and as w261 just said, there's only a very small amount of guys on here that fall into the VERY experienced, VERY capable drivers category. (I'm not one of 'em either.)

Point is, you got yourself a good car, and I do trust that your dad looked it over quite well, and it's a decent representation of a 3G in good repair. ...but regardless of the 3G's capabilities alone, as soon as you factor in a young, inexperienced driver that thinks he's rocket-man, you have recipe for extreme disaster.

Tell you what. How far out of CT are you? I know you said you're in Mass, so you can't be that far out. Here's an open invitation to meet up with me at a local Autocross event here in CT so you can get your act together, learn how easy it is to lose complete control of your car, and get your fix for your "need for speed" in a controlled environment, when you're not putting other people's lives at risk because you're getting too much 'wind resistance' from your pop-up headlights. (There's usually 2 events per month on Sunday's).

I'm done now. I need a drink. PS> No I'm not an old fart telling 'sonny' to slow his ass down. I'm 27, and have a sickness for speed and sending cars sideways at any speed. ...but I learned real quick that public roads are NOT the venue for it. My license has (had) more ticks on it than a stressed out rabid turrets patient on meth.

89lxisedan
06-25-2009, 02:52 PM
i'm kinda at the new hampshire border of mass idk how far out o ct that is. and honestly i just picked up a little rc car to take out the need for speed on its not the same but its helping me from driving at high speeds

accordion89
06-25-2009, 03:15 PM
but really now, one good pothole or dip and your probally dead at 40mph

:dunno:

Oh, ok, when you put it like that lol
:rice:

accordion89
06-25-2009, 03:22 PM
i'm kinda at the new hampshire border of mass idk how far out o ct that is. and honestly i just picked up a little rc car to take out the need for speed on its not the same but its helping me from driving at high speeds

i think you have a problem

accordion89
06-25-2009, 03:32 PM
i think you have a problem

quote, i take that back, i have a problem, i read that wrong

RC cars are a good hobby, you should find a local hobby shob man!

you shouldn't speed, it sounds like you have a good car!

you will regret the wear on your car, and a ticket will jack your insurance up, or your parents insurance up, which i'm sure you know your parents will not be happy about, take it slow, save your money its getting expensive to drive!

w261w261
06-25-2009, 05:07 PM
<< a ticket will jack your insurance up, or your parents insurance up, which i'm sure you know your parents will not be happy about, take it slow, save your money its getting expensive to drive! >>

Just to give you an idea of the impact of a ticket, my son, when he was 16 and a new driver for about 9 mos, got nailed for 62 in a 40. Shortly afterwards, I was changing insurance carriers to Geico from Travelers, and they quoted me I think it was $2,600 for 6 months (we have a few cars). As the process got finalized, they revised it upward to $2,900 for 6 mos because of that one fucking ticket (my wife and I have perfect records). Not only that, but I couldn't get an umbrella policy from Geico, and the max amount of insurance they would write was 300,000/500,000 instead of the more common 500/500. Because of the lower limit, I couldn't get an umbrella policy at a reasonable price, so went without that for a couple of years. One stupid ticket.

Then there's my 27 year old, that 2 years ago got a DUI. His insurance is pretty high, but when he sold his car in January, eventually Geico got wind of it (he lives at home) and jacked my insurance up by $3,500 per year. Not to $3,500, UP $3,500. He did have a couple of other tickets too, but it was the DUI that did it for him. I had to give him one of my other cars just to get the cost down to something reasonable.

If you get caught on one of your little 100+ thrill rides, you can expect possibly a reckless driving charge. And if they write you up for street racing at the same time, your license and you will separate for a long time, and your insurance will follow a moon rocket trajectory.

Moral of the story, don't fuck up your life before you grow into it.

cubert
06-25-2009, 05:42 PM
The NH/Mass boarder, eh?

Me too..and I promise if I ever see a 3gee doing 125 down the highway I will do my best to pull my 102345 pound car in front of you, to hopefully teach you a lesson and get myself a nice fat insurance check.

The bad by far outweighs the good here...my buddy got arrested for doing 153 in a 55...this was a year ago and he is still dealing with the bullshit that it brought with it.

Besides..why would you want to go this fast on the shitty roads of Mass and NH?

markmdz89hatch
06-25-2009, 06:04 PM
ok ok, I think he gets it. I honestly have to admit that I'm real impressed with the fact that he didn't even once come back and defend the actions, or get all "you're all just stupid" on us. Shows a good character. Kudos to you 89lxisedan, you truly took your noob roasting standing up and took it right on the chin. I just hope you can really take our advice and slow down and realize there's just nothing but bad news to come of it.

So check out the let's meet section and sign yourself up for the East Coast "Flipped" Meet in August. Oh and please take pics of your car and post them up. Cell phone pics welcomed, we won't bust your balls about shitty quality pics (ok, maybe we will, but it's all in good fun if we do).

accordion89
06-25-2009, 06:10 PM
yes add link to your signature, so we can see your car!

89lxisedan
06-25-2009, 06:31 PM
all set with the link. i have yet to take interior shots of my car but here's the exterior and motor http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69336

accordion89
06-25-2009, 06:44 PM
cool, clean car, it looks like you have a good place to upkeep your car

89lxisedan
06-25-2009, 06:46 PM
ya i do, and you know the car was only $300 and needed a taillight and drivers window motor

accordion89
06-25-2009, 06:47 PM
thats 1,700 cheeper than i paid! sweet

89lxisedan
06-25-2009, 06:52 PM
ya i was pleased. lol to be honest this is my fifth car. i had a 1992 eclipse gs with the 4g63 (over heated and seazed block) then a 1994 eclipse with a 1.8 (which flipped in the winter), a 1991 olds cutlass (threw a piston rod through the block at 330000 miles), and a 1998 taurus (which had a transmission blow)

89lxisedan
06-25-2009, 07:00 PM
ok ok, I think he gets it. I honestly have to admit that I'm real impressed with the fact that he didn't even once come back and defend the actions, or get all "you're all just stupid" on us. Shows a good character. Kudos to you 89lxisedan, you truly took your noob roasting standing up and took it right on the chin. I just hope you can really take our advice and slow down and realize there's just nothing but bad news to come of it.

So check out the let's meet section and sign yourself up for the East Coast "Flipped" Meet in August. Oh and please take pics of your car and post them up. Cell phone pics welcomed, we won't bust your balls about shitty quality pics (ok, maybe we will, but it's all in good fun if we do).
lol as i would expect from anywhere if i took cellphone pics unless i had a 5 megapixel or better camera in my phone

accordion89
06-25-2009, 07:16 PM
i like my cell phone, 8 megapixels!

89lxisedan
06-25-2009, 07:28 PM
by any chance would you be using the samsung memoir from t-mobile?

Civic Accord Honda
06-25-2009, 07:29 PM
i just drove the civic 110 mph! =O

in a very safe inviroment too!

in my garage sitting on jackstands with no tyers on it that is :D :lol:

89lxisedan
06-25-2009, 07:32 PM

lol is that even possible?

accordion89
06-25-2009, 07:34 PM
yep, samsung memoir,

driving 110 with your car lifted? w h a t t h e f u c k ? ? ?

accordion89
06-25-2009, 07:35 PM
i hope you opened you garage, carbon monoxide isnt very good for you

89lxisedan
06-25-2009, 07:35 PM
you know what hearing that makes me want to join the 200 mph club while my car is lifted lol

Civic Accord Honda
06-25-2009, 07:51 PM
lol is that even possible?
yes sir

i hope you opened you garage, carbon monoxide isnt very good for you
yep had the back of the car sticking out of the garage since its only a 1 car garage

you know what hearing that makes me want to join the 200 mph club while my car is lifted lol

ahaha i put like 5 miles on it in the air XD wasnt doing it for fun really though just trying to do some testing to the axle

russiankid
06-25-2009, 08:06 PM
Must be the intake that gives you the extra powa!

89lxisedan
06-25-2009, 08:18 PM
yes sir

yep had the back of the car sticking out of the garage since its only a 1 car garage

ahaha i put like 5 miles on it in the air XD wasnt doing it for fun really though just trying to do some testing to the axle

lol oh ok thats a safe way to test an axle rather than drive on it and hope for the best

Civic Accord Honda
06-25-2009, 09:58 PM
Must be the intake that gives you the extra powa!
stock intake ;)

lol oh ok thats a safe way to test an axle rather than drive on it and hope for the best

nah i didnt put a new axle in i was just checking to see if it was the axle or trans broken.. its the axle so it should be fine a couple more weeks :D ( she vibrates around 60-80 mph and when i set it on jack stands makes loud grinding like sounds unless i jack the lca up then it sounds as smooth as butter)

Bass Man
06-25-2009, 10:40 PM
don't want to be going 105 now and having your wheel slam back in to the inner fender now do we?
That's never good. 35 was bad enough!

markmdz89hatch
06-26-2009, 04:21 AM
That's never good. 35 was bad enough!

haha, me too. I think I was at about 30, and as soon as all the weight transferred to the front, the ass lifted and when she came back down, she went all the way down. I was like WTF is that rubbing sound and wtf is going on. Fight with it to get it pulled over and sure enough it looked like my rear wheel was pretending it was landing gear trying to retract. Needless to say that made for an expensive tow home.

Juan (one of our members/mods from way back) totaled his minty fresh car courtesy of a failed upper rear control arm on the highway.

Please don't do that unless you want your 3G to meet the same fate as your dsm's.

89lxisedan
06-26-2009, 10:11 AM
no i'm not gonna i was just joking:)

w261w261
06-26-2009, 04:37 PM
I remember how I blew out the top of the right rear shock tower on my '73 BMW 3.0 CS, after hitting a relatively small pothole at about 35. I had been scrupulous about the maintenance, and had no problems going arount 90 mph sweepers on the local parkway. I shudder to think what would have happened to me if it had failed at speed.

The autopsy determined that my HD Bilsteins and cut down springs put too much strain on the towers. I had big heavy caps welded in, and they were fine after that, but......

I sold my '73 Pantera to a guy in '78, who also had a shock tower fail shortly after the sale. But this time it was rust. You couldn't see it from the outside, but inside it was rotting away. He got out without a major wreck also.

Tomisimo
06-28-2009, 01:16 AM
I never had my 3Gee more than 100mph, it started to swim over that speed and I'm not stupid to test limits and risk my life, but on the other hand I drove other newer cars at much higher speeds, like my bodys BMW 330Ci at 145-150mph and it felt safe.
If you want to go fast, get something German, those cars are build to cruise autobahns... w no speed limits.

'A20A3'
06-29-2009, 07:53 AM
wow..this thread is still alive?

2oodoor
06-29-2009, 08:38 AM
wow..this thread is still alive?

:stupid:

:D

snoopyloopy
07-06-2009, 08:57 PM

amateur. i buried the speedo on my old 3g on jackstands. with tires too.