PDA

View Full Version : 89 LXi Suspension Problems

89hondaaccordlxi
06-24-2009, 09:14 AM
Alright, I have an 89 honda accord lxi with pretty low miles (108K) but the suspension isn't holding up and I need some help to keep it on the road for another year or so. I took it to a Honda dealer to replace a seatbelt and they of course were looking for other stuff to fix. They said the front lower right ball joint needed to be replaced and upper and lower arms back left arms need to be replaced. They said over $2000 for all that. In my experience you can't trust dealerships so I just said "no" and didn't think much of it. However, there's definitely some problems and they're getting worse...

When I make turns at a certain angle you can hear the right front tire wobble. It's a scary noise as if the the wheels is just going to fall off. It has gotten worse where I hear it wobble when I go over bumps. I'm assuming that's the ball joint coming loose. I've looked around and it looks like if I let it go sooner or later the ball joint with come loose and the tire will go sideways and I'll pay more in the long run (especially if it causes an accident).

Also the back left suspension constantly makes this kind of popping noise as if you were popping a dent of out a piece of sheet metal as I go over little bumps in the road. Doesn't seem like a major problem, just gets annoying.

So... is there an easy fix to this? Maybe a little grease here and there or something or do I need to start shopping for prices to replace the ball joint and back right suspension? I'm assuming this isn't an easy DIY replacement so if I need to start shopping what kind of price range should I be looking at to get the job done?

What do you guys think?

2drSE-i
06-24-2009, 10:01 AM
2000 bucks is incredibly steep, but it sounds like they do need to be replaced. You can get the upper rear arms, complete with balljoints and bushings for around 40 a piece, if you can do it yourself that would be great. If not, id expect to pay around 500-800 for the work you need done, including parts.

jasonrebellion
06-24-2009, 10:13 AM
i've got worn out struts and if i go over train tracks to fast both sides on the front sound like its shaking...my ball joints are fine...could just be your struts

LX-incredible
06-24-2009, 10:43 AM
i've got worn out struts and if i go over train tracks to fast both sides on the front sound like its shaking...my ball joints are fine...could just be your struts

That sounds more like brake pad/worn caliper pin rattle. Use some thick brake lube for the the pins and some "disc brake quiet" between the caliper bracket and wear plates.

His problem isn't with the struts.

The ball joints aren't too bad. You'll need a ball joint puller and axle nut socket, of course. All uppers are replaced with the arm. Lowers can be pressed out and in with a vice or big C-clamp and a couple short pipe nipples. Check the front wheel bearings for play before removing the spindle... Those will need to be pressed at a shop.