PDA

View Full Version : Trans fill plug on a 89 LXi auto

Creator
06-24-2009, 12:06 PM
I can easily see where the drain plug is on the trans (after taking the pass wheel off of course). I'm not sure where or if there is a fill plug on it.

Should I just fill it where the dip stick is? Does anyone know how many quarts it takes?

Sorry I've only delt with D & B series manual tranny's never messed with an auto.

ecogabriel
06-24-2009, 02:15 PM
So you are looking wherethe filling plug of the transmission is, right?
(sorry if I am kinda dumb but I'm particularly slow today)
OK, pop the hood open. the plug is on the side of the transmission facing the front of the car; its sight is probably partially obstructed by the radiator hoses so if you locate the lower radiator hose and look closely at the transmission in the near vicinity you'll find it.
It looks like a motorcycle engine plug and it may have a slot marked with yellow paint
(well, our cars are quite old at this time so maybe the paint color either faded or just disappeared)
The AT dipstick is attached to that plug; to check the level you would need the engine running, unscrew the plug, clean the dipstick attached to it and then gently put it on top of the filling hole BUT DO NOT SCREW IT IN! Take it out and you'll see the level.

How much ATF it takes? About 3 or 4 quarts if I remember correctly.
As for fluid type, although many here use HONDA ATF fluid -and it is fine- you may use Dexron III as well. The user manual may specify either Dexron or Dexron II depending on model/year; both were superseded by Dexron III. Either one is fine; Dexron III is cheaper of course but you may notice that shifts would be a little more noticeable (at least it has been that way in my case)

The dipstick you see in the engine bay close to the power steering pump is the ENGINE OIL dipstick. It has nothing to do with the transmission.

Creator
06-24-2009, 04:53 PM
kewl. I'm not an iddiot but the info is appreceated.

2drSE-i
06-24-2009, 05:00 PM
The drain plug Creator was referring to is on the underside of the motor. He wasn't necessarily looking for the dipstick, but was wondering where to fill the oil at.

ecogabriel
06-24-2009, 05:19 PM
I got it; you found the drain plug but not the filling one. So I answered about that one right?

Sorry for the L O N G answer; the first time I looked for the dipstick on a Honda with auto tranny I could not find it (I expected the diptstick...)

Rendon LX-i
06-24-2009, 05:21 PM
should be the same as a manual right on top of the R axle.

ecogabriel
06-24-2009, 05:28 PM
kewl. I'm not an iddiot but the info is appreceated.

I never implied that; simply, if one is unfamiliar with older Hondas some things are not the way one may expect them to be. I added the ATF stuff because unless you have the service manual (or the user manual) you may be in doubt of what fluid to use.

should be the same as a manual right on top of the R axle.

Actually, the filling plug (for automatics) is in the side of the transmission facing the radiator...

Bluntman
06-24-2009, 05:49 PM
So you are looking wherethe filling plug of the transmission is, right?
(sorry if I am kinda dumb but I'm particularly slow today)
OK, pop the hood open. the plug is on the side of the transmission facing the front of the car; its sight is probably partially obstructed by the radiator hoses so if you locate the lower radiator hose and look closely at the transmission in the near vicinity you'll find it.
It looks like a motorcycle engine plug and it may have a slot marked with yellow paint
(well, our cars are quite old at this time so maybe the paint color either faded or just disappeared)
The AT dipstick is attached to that plug; to check the level you would need the engine running, unscrew the plug, clean the dipstick attached to it and then gently put it on top of the filling hole BUT DO NOT SCREW IT IN! Take it out and you'll see the level.

How much ATF it takes? About 3 or 4 quarts if I remember correctly.
As for fluid type, although many here use HONDA ATF fluid -and it is fine- you may use Dexron III as well. The user manual may specify either Dexron or Dexron II depending on model/year; both were superseded by Dexron III. Either one is fine; Dexron III is cheaper of course but you may notice that shifts would be a little more noticeable (at least it has been that way in my case)

The dipstick you see in the engine bay close to the power steering pump is the ENGINE OIL dipstick. It has nothing to do with the transmission.

I these cars you check the ATF fluid level with the engine "off". Not like on the american cars so that the hydraulic pump is filled and running.