PDA

View Full Version : Never never do this to your seat belts!!

lostforawhile
06-24-2009, 11:55 PM
I don't know why they haven't deleted this post yet,but this is a good example of how NOT to dye your seat belts. this damages the nylon, and when this guy gets in a wreck maby he will be a bit suprised. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=374139

A18A
06-25-2009, 12:00 AM
damn, i would have tried that otherwise

Civic Accord Honda
06-25-2009, 12:33 AM
meh i would dye mine mainly cause i don't even were them there just there to throw on when i see a cop lol

Nafs Asdf
06-25-2009, 12:50 AM
Might not be a good idea to do it on seat belts, but I guess it might work fine on other fabrics?

Hauntd ca3
06-25-2009, 01:42 AM
OMG! i've seen some shit in my time, but thats right near teh top of the list.
i think he'll win a darwin award sometime soon eh

A18A
06-25-2009, 02:09 AM
meh i would dye mine mainly cause i don't even were them there just there to throw on when i see a cop lol

you wouldn't wanna be a passenger in my car then :P i purposely slam on the brakes unexpectedly when my passengers don't put their belts on :)

nvm

labeledsk8r
06-25-2009, 02:37 AM
lol my buddy has died his belts like 3 times and getting ready for a 4th .... my i can hulk my ass out of his car one day while straped in, probably scare the shit outa him

Joay
06-25-2009, 05:59 AM
Too bad it works so well.

Dr_Snooz
06-25-2009, 06:13 AM
I'm surprised you don't end up with a bowl full of bubbling goopy sludge pouring lacquer thinner on your belts like that.

markmdz89hatch
06-25-2009, 07:27 AM
I agree that it's not such a bright idea, but just for arguments sake, instead of just taking it for granted that it's greatly weakened the webbing, I'd like to see two identical belts pulled from the same car endure a snap test to determine how much tension is needed to break it. ...except one belt be left completely alone, and the other to be dyed with this method. I'm just curious how much it does weaken it. ...then I propose the perform the same test after 1 yr of the belt being in the car to determine if there are any more longer term affects of having soaked it in thinner.

markmdz89hatch
06-25-2009, 07:30 AM

Hey ass-hat, put your damn seatbelt on from now on. We need to keep you here as our resident member to flame. Wearing your belt will just help to ensure that happens. I've lost at least two people to car accidents where their death was directly linked to the lack of a seatbelt. What's the benefit in not wearing it? C'mon now Blake.

...ok sorry for my tangent there, I don't want this thread to turn into an "Aways wear your seatbelt" thread, I just needed to say my peace on that.

Rendon LX-i
06-25-2009, 07:53 AM
I just do it the easy way and use RIT dye from the supermarket or hardware store in a pan of boiling water - no solvents.

Thats what i would of done.

Tomisimo
06-25-2009, 10:11 AM
I agree with Mark, they dont choke you.
here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=km3I6nAGSH8 and this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYoiAJqXA1I
this film made from story of that guy thats in this clip.

w261w261
06-25-2009, 10:18 AM
I agree that it's not such a bright idea, but just for arguments sake, instead of just taking it for granted that it's greatly weakened the webbing, I'd like to see two identical belts pulled from the same car endure a snap test to determine how much tension is needed to break it. ...except one belt be left completely alone, and the other to be dyed with this method. I'm just curious how much it does weaken it. ...then I propose the perform the same test after 1 yr of the belt being in the car to determine if there are any more longer term affects of having soaked it in thinner.

JOB OPENING: CONSUMER REPORTS, OLD CAR SECTION
Evaluate effects of solvents on 20 year seat belts. Must be skilled at improvisation and technical analysis. Benefits: free subscription to CR and as many old seatbelts as you can stand.

markmdz89hatch
06-25-2009, 12:40 PM
JOB OPENING: CONSUMER REPORTS, OLD CAR SECTION
Evaluate effects of solvents on 20 year seat belts. Must be skilled at improvisation and technical analysis. Benefits: free subscription to CR and as many old seatbelts as you can stand.

Hal, you literally just made me laugh out loud at my desk here at work. I'd gladly take that job offering if it paid me enough. What the hell, why not right.

Tom, that second youtube vid gave me the creeps. Almost the exact story of 3 friends of mine in high school. 2 made it, one didn't.

accordion89
06-25-2009, 03:37 PM
seatbelts? who wears those?

lostforawhile
06-25-2009, 04:27 PM
I agree that it's not such a bright idea, but just for arguments sake, instead of just taking it for granted that it's greatly weakened the webbing, I'd like to see two identical belts pulled from the same car endure a snap test to determine how much tension is needed to break it. ...except one belt be left completely alone, and the other to be dyed with this method. I'm just curious how much it does weaken it. ...then I propose the perform the same test after 1 yr of the belt being in the car to determine if there are any more longer term affects of having soaked it in thinner.nylon webbing and laquer don't mix well. if you look at the tags on a belt it usually even warns you to avoid solvents.

Civic Accord Honda
06-25-2009, 04:48 PM
Hey ass-hat, put your damn seatbelt on from now on. We need to keep you here as our resident member to flame. Wearing your belt will just help to ensure that happens. I've lost at least two people to car accidents where their death was directly linked to the lack of a seatbelt. What's the benefit in not wearing it? C'mon now Blake.

...ok sorry for my tangent there, I don't want this thread to turn into an "Aways wear your seatbelt" thread, I just needed to say my peace on that.

haha dont worry i do were them was just being an ass lol i gotta put my APC seat belt pads to use now dont i? ;)

Dr_Snooz
06-25-2009, 07:38 PM

Damn Mr. Cranky Smurf. You're just firing up on everyone tonight aintcha? Rowr!

;)

GraniteLXI
06-26-2009, 03:50 AM
Wow, that dye technique has really good results but it aint safe, Doh! Ive never personally seen anyone or in fact even heard of anyone Dyeing seat belts until now... I mean don't you usually just replace them for not much of a cost???

Its weard, I wear seat belts all the time in every car i own or almost every car I ride in... but say when I ride as a passenger in my boss's work truck (F350 Triton V10....monster fuckin truck) I dont feel the need at all for a seat belt. Same thing when I ride in other trucks that my family owns- anytime I drive one of the trucks I always put a belt on just out of pure habit.

MessyHonda
06-26-2009, 08:34 AM
how about if you bleach them?

Ayeobe
07-06-2009, 04:27 PM
Hah we should post that at the mythbusters page.. Wether or not solvants weaken seatbelts. They will likely do a full scale test where cars meet walls, and see if anyone DIES.

We just gotta specify NO HONDAS. *that includes Acura*