PDA

View Full Version : I just picked up a BRAND NEW engine! Did the BT come in the Prelude too?

deevergote
06-26-2009, 05:11 PM
Ok, third time's a charm...

About a year and a half ago, I bought LiTtLe xOx BitT's engine that he had built for his turbo project. It was mostly together, just needed a few more things to be complete. Well... I never got around to it. I still have it, but...

The other day, a friend of mine found a brand new BT... engine and transmission. I contacted the seller, asked my F150-driving friend to lend me a hand, and I'm now the proud owner of a brand new engine!

Apparently, this engine was a display model. It has never been started. Still has the factory oil filter with Japanese writing on it.

The code is BT, same as the one in my 86 LXi. It's fuel injected.
However, the guy wasn't sure if it came from a Prelude or an Accord.

So, my questions are: did the BT come in the Prelude as well as the Accord? If so, are they interchangeable, or are they like the JDM Accord B20 and the Prelude B20, where they mount differently?

I just got home, and it's dark... so I can't really look under my hood until tomorrow. I'm a 4th gen guy, so I don't know much about anything older than 1990 (sad, I know... I've had my 3G since 2004!) I'm hoping you guys can help! I'm also hoping I didn't just waste money on something I can't use!

ghettogeddy
06-26-2009, 05:16 PM
the a20 came in the prelude and they should be the same

deevergote
06-26-2009, 05:25 PM
Ok, cool. That was my only fear!

I got the mounts too.. if it's a Prelude motor, they may not be right... which sucks, since my mounts are shot... but whatever. I can always get new mounts!

ghettogeddy
06-26-2009, 05:54 PM
if its an a20 it should all be the same no matter what

deevergote
06-26-2009, 05:59 PM
Well, it's a BT... technically the same, but I wasn't sure if there were any differences early on. I know the early models can be screwy sometimes.

ghettogeddy
06-26-2009, 06:28 PM
no a20 is a a20 as far as i know

A18A
06-26-2009, 07:11 PM
i hope its gonna continue to be a display model for many more years to come :O

deevergote
06-26-2009, 07:17 PM
I initially got this car back in 2004 as a cheap turbo project... Then I kinda gave up, sold it, and it ended up coming back to me... so I was going to put more money and work into making it more of a serious project. Then I got busy with work, and realized that my 4th gen has MUCH more done to it already, and would be a better platform to work with (especially since that's where I belong... lol)

So, this time around, it's getting a restoration. It may never be a rocket, but it's going to be like brand new, only with a mild drop on Progress springs :) It's in really good shape, overall... Rough around the edges, but nothing I can't bring back to life. Now that it'll be mechanically brand new, I can work on the cosmetics... and it'll be a nice little car!

Civic Accord Honda
06-26-2009, 08:11 PM
sweetness!!! new engine for the winrar !

Dr_Snooz
06-26-2009, 08:39 PM
Dang man. That's right living right there. Super huge congrats on the NEW motor!

danny nr crew
06-26-2009, 10:27 PM
u luck son of a bitch lol i want one hahaha
u should totally take pictures of the motor i wanna see how clean it is

deevergote
06-26-2009, 10:49 PM
:lol: I'm amazed that I actually found it! (well, my friend found it for me... but still...)

Here's the pic from the seller... I took some myself, but they're not uploaded to my server yet (the sun was going down anyway...)

http://images.craigslist.org/3k23m73pbZZZZZZZZZ96o119622477d3d16ad.jpg

Since the engine is so clean and new, I'm probably going to spend some time cleaning out the engine bay... I don't want to put a nice new engine into a dirty bay!

Rendon LX-i
06-26-2009, 11:02 PM
damn...i have a BT boosted ...which is a a20a3. comes out of a 86lxi. everything fits fine...any a20 fits fine in a 3gee guy

danny nr crew
06-26-2009, 11:17 PM
yea man once u clean that engine bay that things gonna be a beauty and also wat u should think about doin is repainting the valve cover to make it more black

deevergote
06-27-2009, 06:08 AM
yea man once u clean that engine bay that things gonna be a beauty and also wat u should think about doin is repainting the valve cover to make it more black

Yeah, I may do that. the only thing this engine is missing is a valve cover nut...

Here's a pic (again from the seller) of the trans. The guy I bought it all from owns a transmission shop. He took the case off to check it, replaced all the seals with brand new Honda seals, and put it back together. He actually charged me more for the transmission alone than he did for everything else (motor, accessories, radiator, etc...)
http://images.craigslist.org/3nf3m33oeZZZZZZZZZ96o01e98c4a2b0c1a11.jpg

Now I just need to finish putting my H22 back together so I can get to work on the 3g! For the first time... I think ever... I'm actually more excited about my 3g than I am my CB7! The CB7 is just in the way at the moment!

knifemind
06-27-2009, 06:19 AM
So, my questions are: did the BT come in the Prelude as well as the Accord? If so, are they interchangeable, or are they like the JDM Accord B20 and the Prelude B20, where they mount differently?

Yes, they came in both models, and Yes, they are totally interchangeable, but you will need Accord mounts (if the ones you have came from a lude). I believe at least one or two of the mounts are different.

deevergote
06-27-2009, 07:08 AM
Yes, they came in both models, and Yes, they are totally interchangeable, but you will need Accord mounts (if the ones you have came from a lude). I believe at least one or two of the mounts are different.

Awesome, thanks. Judging by the two cars you have listed there, I guess you would know!

ecogabriel
06-27-2009, 01:42 PM
Congrats!!! A brand-new engine!!! Looks awesome!!!

The engine on my 86 LXI is "BT" too. Yours should be a bolt-on (give or take the motor mounts maybe)

It would be great to get a clean, shiny engine bay for a brand-new engine.

Again, congrats!

ghettogeddy
06-27-2009, 02:41 PM
looking at the pic he posted looks like some one swapped the 3rd and 4th plug wires lol i would

deevergote
06-27-2009, 04:42 PM
The only thing not new is the distributor, and the wires are clearly used... and missing one. lol

Man, I spent the whole day under the CB7 (my XTD clutch/flywheel/pressure plate ate itself). Finally got the transmission back on. The stupid thing is twice the size of a 3g tranny. I can't wait until I have to handle that little thing!

Tomorrow, I'll get the CB7 back on the road, build my carport, and push my poor disabled hatch into it... The cops are threatening to lock me up for 10 days thanks to my "non running vehicle" on my own property (that I pay $4400 a year in property taxes for!) That's what prompted the purchase of the new engine!

I was going to rush fixing the hatch, but I think I'll just make sure it's under cover... and do it right. Clean the bay, replace everything that needs to be replaced, and make it a car to be proud of.

MessyHonda
06-28-2009, 08:32 PM
get a new timing belt...as the old one will fail...and you dont want to snap a belt and leave you on the side of the road