PDA

View Full Version : cash for clunkers

lostforawhile
06-28-2009, 10:20 AM
well so far it looks like our cars are safe from the cash for clunkers program, they have to be 1984 or newer,and they have to get 18 mpg or less fuel economy epa rating, also they have to be registered to the same owner for at least a year, and they have to be in running and driving condition. I think we won on the fuel economy, and all the 2 g's and 1 g's will be safe from this program. THANK YOU SEMA!! they got the provisions in that saved our cars.

the epa mileage for the 86 accord is 24 city 27 highway, thats changed to the modern standard the listed standard with the old standard is much higher. so they are safe, also they have really good emissions according to the chart,right near the best end of the chart, i'm sure the mileage goes up towards 89

the rules standards are straight off of the SEMA site,they wanted to protect older cars from being junked.

Civic Accord Honda
06-28-2009, 11:49 AM
over here its for any car that fails smog when you go to register your car you can ether turn it over and get $1000 or get them to pay up to $500 to a mechanic to fix it lol.. but i think arnold canceled that program

Tomisimo
06-28-2009, 01:05 PM
this is good news. Here they crash all older cars, state even suggested to pay well over 1000USD up to 3000USD for old cars. Basically you drive your old car to scrappy and they pay you up to 3k for it. even if list price is lats say 500bucks for that car. They wont to do this to clear all junk that are on the roads today. and they force to press or crush older cars so guys like us dont get parts.. Sad really.

paul
06-28-2009, 02:04 PM
"Safe" from the program? I was under the impression it was voluntary...

turabaka
06-28-2009, 02:09 PM
"Safe" from the program? I was under the impression it was voluntary...

yeah "safe". The idea was to keep the 3geez that people didn't want from being crushed instead of just sent to the junkyard. If they're crushed then eventually we'll run out of parts for our cars.

paul
06-28-2009, 03:08 PM
Parts can still be taken off the cars & sold to junkyards before the crush...

2drSE-i
06-28-2009, 03:18 PM
Parts can still be taken off the cars & sold to junkyards before the crush...

The idea was that the cars would be crushed so junkyard parts wouldnt be available.

lostforawhile
06-28-2009, 03:47 PM
Parts can still be taken off the cars & sold to junkyards before the crush...no parts can be removed they have to be destroyed,which makes no sense.

lostforawhile
06-28-2009, 03:51 PM
well our cars get too good of a mileage to qualify, plus the ones that have been sitting unregistered can't be junked unless you register the car for a year first. so people can't just turn in un running cars to be crushed. I don't think there's a honda made that gets less then 18 miles to the gallon, looks like a lot of gas guzzling american junk from the eighties will get crushed, most of it gets crushed anyway because people hate those cars. they are a black eye on american car companies, think Chrysler lebarons

87accordlxi
06-29-2009, 06:18 AM
Good to know. Stuff like this is good info for the newsletter.

lostforawhile
06-29-2009, 12:55 PM
here's the link, the fuel mileage rating of our cars makes them not qualify for the program, anything before 84 doesn't qualify period. so we are safe for the moment, but i urge everyone to join SEMA, they will send you updates on new laws trying to be passed, and keep you informed, they let our voice be heard, http://www.sema.org/sema-enews/2009/26/cash-clunkers-legislation-signed-law

Civic Accord Honda
06-29-2009, 02:23 PM
well our cars get too good of a mileage to qualify, plus the ones that have been sitting unregistered can't be junked unless you register the car for a year first. so people can't just turn in un running cars to be crushed. I don't think there's a honda made that gets less then 18 miles to the gallon, looks like a lot of gas guzzling american junk from the eighties will get crushed, most of it gets crushed anyway because people hate those cars. they are a black eye on american car companies, think Chrysler lebarons

the G2 legend coupe qualifys saw something about it on acuralegend.org the G1 probley does as well :(

lostforawhile
06-29-2009, 03:11 PM
the G2 legend coupe qualifys saw something about it on acuralegend.org the G1 probley does as well :(i checked the epa registered mileage and it gets too good of a fuel mileage

snoopyloopy
06-29-2009, 04:55 PM
yeah and the epa mileage also doesn't know about my mileage. epa estimate for my car is 25 combined i think. my observed is 29 combined and is routinely in the low-mid 30s. if they try to junk my car, they're a damn fool. no way i'm really able to get something with $3000 that's much better than the 3g. but i'd gladly use the $3000 on a down payment of something that is less efficient (i.e. wrx, tl, etc.).

Vanilla Sky
06-29-2009, 05:04 PM
The idea is to get the old poorly running crap cars off of the road. Our 1992 Camaro qualifies. It gets 18MPG according to the EPA, but in reality gets closer to 15MPG. The cars that have made our short list get 28MPG or more, so we'll be getting $4500 for our poorly running POS when we turn it in.

The version of the law that passed only requires emissions equipment and powertrains to be junked. Other parts can still be salvaged if the junkyard decides to. This will still keep some of these cars in yards for other parts.

A lot of the cars going into the program are going to be older American cars. We'll see a few trucks go that way, but I see a lot of mid to late 80's American V8 cars seeing the furnace sometime soon.

lostforawhile
06-29-2009, 05:46 PM
yeah and the epa mileage also doesn't know about my mileage. epa estimate for my car is 25 combined i think. my observed is 29 combined and is routinely in the low-mid 30s. if they try to junk my car, they're a damn fool. no way i'm really able to get something with $3000 that's much better than the 3g. but i'd gladly use the $3000 on a down payment of something that is less efficient (i.e. wrx, tl, etc.).is has to be UNDER 18 epa estimated new mileage. if the original estimated mileage is greater then that,it doesn't qualify.

lostforawhile
06-29-2009, 05:48 PM
The idea is to get the old poorly running crap cars off of the road. Our 1992 Camaro qualifies. It gets 18MPG according to the EPA, but in reality gets closer to 15MPG. The cars that have made our short list get 28MPG or more, so we'll be getting $4500 for our poorly running POS when we turn it in.

The version of the law that passed only requires emissions equipment and powertrains to be junked. Other parts can still be salvaged if the junkyard decides to. This will still keep some of these cars in yards for other parts.

A lot of the cars going into the program are going to be older American cars. We'll see a few trucks go that way, but I see a lot of mid to late 80's American V8 cars seeing the furnace sometime soon.a lot of eighties v8's were so full of emissions gear and so weak,no one wants them anyway, remember the vette that had 120 horsepower?

Vanilla Sky
06-29-2009, 06:06 PM
Yup, and remember the year when the Camaro was faster in every way? We're in a time when we need to get crap off of the roads again. Safety checks help tons, but a lot of states have gotten rid of them. I know I'll be glad to see fewer 80's Caprices on the road. $200 cars with $800 paint jobs and $5,000 rims.

ChaseR
06-29-2009, 06:26 PM
Shit I hope something like this never affects us, I would like to be driving my 89 Accord in 20 years.

Vanilla Sky
06-29-2009, 06:29 PM
You don't have to trade your car, it's only an option.

lostforawhile
06-29-2009, 06:58 PM
You don't have to trade your car, it's only an option.
yea but if they destroy a bunch of cars it makes it hard to find used parts

Vanilla Sky
06-29-2009, 07:00 PM
Used parts for 1986 Caprices?

Civic Accord Honda
06-29-2009, 09:37 PM
me loves 80s caprices there so gangsta !

SZfiftyfour
06-30-2009, 06:20 AM
I hope they re-instate this next year. I'm not in a position to take advantage of it right now, but i want to trade my Rodeo[16/18mpg] in for a Fit or something.

I know I'll be glad to see fewer 80's Caprices on the road. $200 cars with $800 paint jobs and $5,000 rims.
:lol: amen

PortugalFocus
07-01-2009, 05:35 AM
This is a horrid idea.

Say good-bye you your junk yards....

We buy cars off the street to put in the yard and sell parts. If we can't get cars, there are no new cars to put into rotation. If we don't have cars for rotation, the cars that are there already get more picked apart, which means you get sick of seeing the same old cars here, so you don't find what you need and you don't spend money here. If you and everyone else that enters here continually more and more people do this, we get no revenue therefor we close. Now we are a huge yard, my company is the world's largest automotive recycler, but support your local "mom and pop" yard.

How many times have we all posted a thread with "AWESOME JY Finds Today!!!!" or "Look What I Found!". There will be no more of these posts. So now if you can't find it used, you have to buy it one ebay or from another user on a message board, or buy a donor car. That all ends up costing us more money.

Sorry for the rant, but this is just a miserable idea. In the short term we lose, but also in the long term, WE the people end up paying for this, our tax dollars.

Boo for cash for clunkers.

2drSE-i
07-01-2009, 07:29 AM
This is a horrid idea.

We buy cars off the street to put in the yard and sell parts. If we can't get cars, there are no new cars to put into rotation. If we don't have cars for rotation, the cars that are there already get more picked apart, which means you get sick of seeing the same old cars here, so you don't find what you need and you don't spend money here. If you and everyone else that enters here continually more and more people do this, we get no revenue therefor we close. Now we are a huge yard, my company is the world's largest automotive recycler, but support your local "mom and pop" yard.

How many times have we all posted a thread with "AWESOME JY Finds Today!!!!" or "Look What I Found!". There will be no more of these posts. So now if you can't find it used, you have to buy it one ebay or from another user on a message board, or buy a donor car. That all ends up costing us more money.

Sorry for the rant, but this is just a miserable idea. In the short term we lose, but also in the long term, WE the people end up paying for this, our tax dollars.

Boo for cash for clunkers.

Gotta totally agree with you. Either the JY's roll over and go out of business, or they have to match or beat the governments price, which would cause them to go WAY up on their prices. Im pretty sure the pull-a-part gets most of their cars either for free from the side of the road, or they pay 1000 for them from the owner. Cash for clunkers pays 3000, which would cause a 2000dollar deficit. They would start charging WAY more for parts.

PortugalFocus
07-01-2009, 09:13 AM
Trust me, we do not get cars for free. Those days are well gone. We pay $250+ on cars and that's on the base end, most of my cars are $400+.

Vanilla Sky
07-01-2009, 10:17 AM
The thing with this program is the qualification process. You have to have owned, registered, and insured the car for at least a year before a car is elligible. I think that pretty much keeps the cars cycling to the junkyards. I have 2 3geez for sale, $100 each. You'll still find prices like that because the cars don't meet the qualifications of this program.

Civic Accord Honda
07-01-2009, 10:42 AM
i saw that $100 coupe on another forum ^ if i were closer i woulda bought it by now lol

2drSE-i
07-01-2009, 12:56 PM
Trust me, we do not get cars for free. Those days are well gone. We pay $250+ on cars and that's on the base end, most of my cars are $400+.

I'm pretty sure our junkyard pays $1000 for the cars around here. Hell, they get that back when they crush it into a cube and recycle it i would imagine.

Civic Accord Honda
07-01-2009, 02:11 PM
they dont pay more thne like $350 over here... hell they only offerd to give shane $26 for my old 3gee...

lostforawhile
07-01-2009, 06:24 PM
This is a horrid idea.

Boo for cash for clunkers.there are a lot of cars that don't qualify for this program, it's mostly 80's and up gas guzzlers, also the cars have to be running and driving and registered and insured to the owner constantly for a year. most of the cars yards get aren't running,or are wrecks,or non insured.no registration, and all that,this will have no affect on those cars.

labeledsk8r
07-01-2009, 06:48 PM
they dont pay more thne like $350 over here... hell they only offerd to give shane $26 for my old 3gee...

yeah here in florida a normal payout is 100-200 for a RUNNING car F-that

lostforawhile
07-01-2009, 07:17 PM
In this economy i don't think many people who are driving these older cars are going to be trading up to new cars anyway, most people who own these cars that qualify are just glad to have something that runs, you don't just drive the car in and they give you money, that money comes off a NEW car you buy or lease. if you are driving a mid eighties gas guzzling POS, chances are you can't afford a new car,incentive or not.

ecogabriel
07-01-2009, 07:37 PM
3G Accords will not be part of this program; I checked out when the bill was first proposed

Besides, the owner of the old car has to buy a new one in order to get the $$$. Even assuming that one has the old-clunker-guzzler that qualifies under the program, he has to take the risk of buying a new car in this economic climate.... who's gonna pay for the new car if unemployment hits?

So, we'll keep on seeing old Honda cars around; they last, they are frugal, they do not pollute... and they are already paid off! (=no debt). The guy that did emissions on mine asked whether I wanted to sell it; he was looking for a car for his teenager son.... the car had passed emissions with absolute ease.

Vanilla Sky
07-01-2009, 10:07 PM
Like I said earlier in this thread, my wife and I are looking to trade in our Camaro through this program. the $4500 puts a car within our budget. Without that incentive, we would drive the Camaro completely into the ground, neglecting it more because we simply don't like the car, and the fact that it's worth practically nothing at all keep us from trading it or selling it through traditional channels.

'A20A3'
07-03-2009, 08:25 AM
im sorry but the governmnet can go fuck themselves on this one.

the only way anyone is taking my Accord from me is when they pry the keys from my cold dead fingers. period.

lostforawhile
07-03-2009, 08:57 AM
im sorry but the governmnet can go fuck themselves on this one.

the only way anyone is taking my Accord from me is when they pry the keys from my cold dead fingers. period.
they aren't taking your accord, the program is voulentary and the three geez get too good of a gas mileage to even qualify, you can thank sema for the changes to the law that saved our cars, it's prett much 1984 and up gas guzzling cars that have been owned by the same person for a year, and have been registered and insured for the same year, have to be running and driveable to even qualify,and you have to be buying a brand new car to get the incentive. so it will be a lot of lousy american junk from the eighties and nineties that sucks anyway, and the yards are normally full of anyhow,

Civic Accord Honda
07-03-2009, 09:05 AM
i wish 91 civics would qualify :lol:

lostforawhile
07-03-2009, 08:09 PM
i wish 91 civics would qualify :lol:

I don't think any hondas will qualify,they have always been very fuel efficient. The government is wasting money with this crap anyway, most of the cars that qualify are falling apart and would be junked soon anyway. I don't think there will be a huge outcray in the loss of vets that made no horsepower, and were butt ugly,and rusted out camaros. all the classtic good looking american cars were mostly pre 80's anyway, and those cars don't qualify.

Vanilla Sky
07-04-2009, 08:59 AM
Honestly, if it weren't for this program, we'd be fixing the Camaro. Again, I'm also in the minority that has the money to afford a new car and has a car that qualifies for the program. If it weren't for this program, I'd get the Camaro fixed instead, because even though it needs a good deal of work, it's worth more than typical trade-in value on such a car. We didn't really stop maintaining the car until the bill was introduced, so we've been planning this out for quite some time.

SZfiftyfour
07-04-2009, 12:53 PM
Honestly, if it weren't for this program, we'd be fixing the Camaro. Again, I'm also in the minority that has the money to afford a new car and has a car that qualifies for the program. If it weren't for this program, I'd get the Camaro fixed instead, because even though it needs a good deal of work, it's worth more than typical trade-in value on such a car. We didn't really stop maintaining the car until the bill was introduced, so we've been planning this out for quite some time.
What were you thinking of getting?

I don't think any hondas will qualify,they have always been very fuel efficient.
Some will (all figures = combined cty/hwy): 01 odyssey 18mpg; all *Passport's 17-18mpg; all *Acura SLX 15mpg; '99 Acura 3.5RL 18mpg; '95 Acura Legend 18mpg. That was just a few yrs I looked at.
Then there's all the Accord v6's,CRV's, and S2000's, they hover around 19-21mpg, which doesn't qualify but I still wouldn't call it fuel efficient. The Ridgeline and Pilot both get 17mpg, which dont qualify either but only because they're built after '02.

[ *= not made by Honda, but still a Honda... technicality bitch:kekeke:]

Vanilla Sky
07-04-2009, 01:26 PM
Kia Soul.

SZfiftyfour
07-04-2009, 02:52 PM
^^:rly:
Can i has ur light up spkrs?

cubert
07-04-2009, 03:05 PM
Kia Soul.

How are those compared to the new Nissan Cubes? (I think thats what they are called)

Any idea?

Vanilla Sky
07-04-2009, 05:02 PM
Everyone that's reviewed them prefers the Soul. It's cheaper, and it drives better. It has more utility, and its interior space are better thab the Cube.

SZfiftyfour
07-04-2009, 06:42 PM
I like the Soul but the rear-end puts me off a little, still it looks a lot better than the cube IMO and Kia has the better warranty. Free sirius radio too. I have to say I thought you were joking at first ha

Civic Accord Honda
07-06-2009, 03:30 AM
i honesty dont like any of the new funky little cars coming out.. but pretty much every new car is ugly lol

Civic Accord Honda
07-06-2009, 03:36 AM
http://www.greencarreports.com/blog/1020253_national-cash-for-clunkers-plans-move-ahead-but-californias-already-there

"
The California program is pretty simple. If you own a registered car built before 1988, you may get a letter with your renewal that goes something like this (received by a friend with a 1951 MG TD):

Since the registration on your model year 1951 vehicle is expiring soon, please consider an alternative to driving this vehicle. You can receive $650 for your 1987 or older car, van or pickup truck from the Bay Area Air Quality Management District and help reduce air pollution.

The District's Buy Back Program buys and then scraps 1987 and older vehicles. These older vehicles have less efficient emission control equipment and therefore produce much more air pollution than newer vehicles. This program is completely voluntary. If your car is a classic car or otherwise valuable to you, please disregard this letter.

Note, first, the second-to-last sentence: This program is completely voluntary. Despite hysteria among some collectors that old-car-crushing programs will become mandatory, we simply don't believe that will happen. Ever.

Second, you can't just drag a junkyard hulk to the station and get paid. The car must have been registered for the last two years, and be driven to the junkyard under its own power.

Third, the form to be filled out is here. It takes more time than signing your name, but one owner who traded in his 1980s Chevrolet Celebrity said it took him about 10 minutes. He mailed it to the DMV and got the necessary form in a couple of weeks. He took the form and the car to the local junkyard, which took an hour to inspect the car and verify that it had been continuously registered. Once that came through, they handed him a check for $1,000. End of story."

preface 3gees do qualify in cali

Abom
07-19-2009, 07:53 AM
Has to be less then 25 years old, the program is voluntary, registered/insured/for at least a year, the dealership really gets stuck with all the work on this one, they have to find a company (mostly junk yard or tow company) that will take the old cars off the lot and destroy the engine and transmission & file the paperwork with the government that the car has been sent off to be destroyed and confirm with the company that destroys the engine and trans. The rest of the car can be sold for parts, basically they make the money, thats why in most cases they will be doing it for free with the reward ~$300 scrap and/or possibly good parts they can turn a profit on. The program is expected to run out of money VERY VERY fast!

lostforawhile
07-19-2009, 08:00 AM
Has to be less then 25 years old, the program is voluntary, registered/insured/for at least a year, the dealership really gets stuck with all the work on this one, they have to find a company (mostly junk yard or tow company) that will take the old cars off the lot and destroy the engine and transmission & file the paperwork with the government that the car has been sent off to be destroyed and confirm with the company that destroys the engine and trans. The rest of the car can be sold for parts, basically they make the money, thats why in most cases they will be doing it for free with the reward ~$300 scrap and/or possibly good parts they can turn a profit on. The program is expected to run out of money VERY VERY fast!it also has to get less then 16 mpg fuel economy as listed by the epa, most 4 cyl hondas are exempt

Vanilla Sky
07-19-2009, 09:59 AM
18 MPG, not 16 MPG.

BTW, I'll be getting a Saturn Astra through this program. I'll be getting $3500 for the Camaro, which is aboout $3000 more than the car is worth. This program will help very few people in the end, due to the fuel economy and the requirement of purchasing a brand new car. I know they're going to run out of money quickly, because it's only going to provide vouchers for 250,000 people. At the dealership yesterday, 3 people came in while I was there asking about the program. This is at a small Saturn dealership during a heavy rain storm. Right now, I'm just hoping no one buys the Astra that I want between now and next Monday.

Abom
07-19-2009, 05:23 PM
^ Lol, If anyone is in or around Charleston SC some to me and ill give you a deal...I work at Hendrick Honda...PM me for details.

<end plug>

Vanilla Sky
07-19-2009, 06:53 PM
Can you get me a Fit Sport with a manual and NAV for $15,000? That's the ONLY thing Honda I'd buy over the Astra right now.

Abom
07-19-2009, 08:00 PM
PM, but I just realized that your looking for a Sport + navi, my numbers go for a standard Fit w/ Auto.

bullard123
07-25-2009, 05:48 PM
http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/SavingandDebt/SaveonaCar/could-your-clunker-bring-you-4500-dollars.aspx

lostforawhile
07-25-2009, 08:24 PM
i'm suprised so many late model domestic cars have such lousy fuel mileage and low trade in value. I figured the acura would qualify, it really sucks a lot of gas for not much power. most of these cars are already sitting in junkyards as of now. the aztek not only gets lousy mileage, it's but ass ugly. i

Vanilla Sky
07-26-2009, 08:08 AM
I want an Aztek. I'm one of about 4 people that really like them.

ShyBoyCA6
11-04-2009, 11:49 PM
screw the clunker man if you have a 1989 accord coupe or a 1992 accord dont clunk it ill buy it ill give it a nice home and amazing sick tuning and im serious

Vanilla Sky
11-05-2009, 12:56 PM
You really don't read the full threads, do you. Nor do you seem to keep up with the news.

Cash for Clunkers is long gone. Our cars didn't qualify for Cash for Clunkers. Neither did 4th gen Accords.

Now, I'm getting ready to scrap what's otherwise a usable 3gee if you want it so bad. I'm in Florida and the scrap man will give me $150 for it. Come and get it.

lostforawhile
11-05-2009, 03:49 PM
the news today showed that the majority of turned in cars were worn out trucks that were traded for new trucks that got only slightly better fuel economy.

ShyBoyCA6
11-05-2009, 05:23 PM
i do keep up with the news but if they do it again cause they are doing it for the new 2010 mustangs

stat1K
11-06-2009, 03:57 PM
no you clearly don't because neither of the cars you mentioned even qualifies for the program...

ShyBoyCA6
11-06-2009, 04:14 PM
ok people the cars that i mention means that i want to buy a car and like i said before screw the clunker so dont open your mouth and i know these cars dont qualify man :squint:

Vanilla Sky
11-06-2009, 06:38 PM
Wat? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPHuE5pDlEs&feature=related)