PDA

View Full Version : Climate Control lights

midnighttuner
06-30-2009, 02:11 PM
I inherited a 1989 SE-i Accord and when i use the ac the lights for the fresh setting and front vents don't light up. The rest of the lights work fine. If it needs a new bulb where can i get one and how would i get to it?

ecogabriel
07-01-2009, 05:06 AM
Those lights are LEDs; in general they do not burn but they are soldered to the climate control circuit and over time the solder cracks and the LEDs no longer turn on. I had the same problem but with the upper vents and recirc lights.

There is a thread somewhere in here that shows you how to disassemble the climate assembly and get to the circuit board with the LEDs attached.
The real PITA is getting there; once you get there it's pretty easy to re-solder them or even change them if you do not like the colors.
I did not change my leds but I resoldered all of them; maybe I would change the A/C led for a blue one in the near future. That switch can be removed independent of the climate cluster.

Talking about solder, the clock on my 1986 LXI did not work too. It turned out to be a solder problem; re-soldered a couple joints and now works like a charm.

midnighttuner
07-01-2009, 04:03 PM
Thats gonna suck... Well they work when I give them a good flick or go over a bump...

ecogabriel
07-01-2009, 07:52 PM
look for the thread; it is somewhere in here.

It is a PITA because there is a bit of work to get the assembly out and then disassembling it to the point of leaving the LEDs exposed. A bit of work for a 2' solder repair... well, maybe 10' if all the LED contacts are re-soldered. But by no means it is impossible; it depends on your experience, skills, and willingness to do it.

If you have other things to fix in the car that may be more important, leave this repair for later. Your A/C and heater would work anyway; but if you are like me that cannot stand seeing something that should work not working... just look for the thread; it has pictures and all

Pico
07-01-2009, 08:20 PM
Welcome to the forum
Here's the how to on the lights http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=118
just have to use the search button or check out the how to section. most questions can be answered there

midnighttuner
07-01-2009, 10:00 PM
My car works for the most part. The lights need to be fixed (PITA but no prop). The A/C needs a look over (Might be the fan). Paint and Interior (Can't wait to see the original shine back/Yup Leather seats). Any real important part such as the engine itself works.

midnighttuner
07-01-2009, 10:00 PM
My car works for the most part. The lights need to be fixed (PITA but no prop). The A/C needs a look over (Might be the fan). Paint and Interior (Can't wait to see the original shine back/Yup Leather seats). Any real important part such as the engine itself works.