PDA

View Full Version : oil leak

89lxisedan
06-30-2009, 06:11 PM
hey i'm new to the motor thing and i know oil can leak from head gaskets and the intake gasket but where else can it leak from? i have a bad oil leak that is coming from somewhere and i just replaced the intake gasket so i doubt its that. but anyway in the past few days of just sitting in my driveway it lost a quart of oil. if you have any idea what it is i would appreciate it

russiankid
06-30-2009, 06:23 PM
Get under the car and check. It can come from anything, oil pan gasket, valve cover gasket, oil pump, crank seals, camshaft seal, distributor o-ring, PCV system.

89lxisedan
06-30-2009, 06:40 PM
ok thanks i'll jack it up tomorrow and look at all those

w261w261
07-01-2009, 04:42 AM
If it was just sitting there static and lost a quart of oil I'd look right at the oil drain plug. Does it have the aluminum washer on it, which is designed to be replaced every couple of changes? You can buy more at the dealer. Maybe the plug isn't tight, or the threads on the plug socket have been stripped.

89lxisedan
07-01-2009, 06:19 AM
alright i'll check that too although when i changed my oil it was tight and would not leak but it's always a possibility

Joay
07-01-2009, 06:28 AM
If it was just sitting there static and lost a quart of oil I'd look right at the oil drain plug. Does it have the aluminum washer on it, which is designed to be replaced every couple of changes? You can buy more at the dealer. Maybe the plug isn't tight, or the threads on the plug socket have been stripped.
Do you have to get those from the dealer? Mine is definitely leaking.

jasonrebellion
07-01-2009, 06:42 AM
Do you have to get those from the dealer? Mine is definitely leaking.

no, you can get a drain plug and gasket for 3 bucks at autozone. you can buy the gasket by itself for like 2 bucks. it'll probly be somethin like 10 to 15 at a dealer

russiankid
07-01-2009, 08:09 AM
Are you talking about the crush washer? Just get an aluminum one from any auto parts store.

Joay
07-01-2009, 09:19 AM
That's what I figured but the dude at the Autozone seemed confused when I asked for one. Anyone know what size it is?