PDA

View Full Version : 1989 Accord Engine Extraction CV axel wisdom...

parkersnine
07-01-2009, 06:58 PM
Can someone tell me the easiest way to deal with the cv axels. Should I remove them completely or is there another method that will save time and effort? I have read to loosen the big 'ole axel nut then tear apart the front suspension and pull it out of the tranny. Seems I read another thread were they were left attached were they join the back spindle.

2ndGenGuy
07-01-2009, 07:59 PM
Just pull them out completely. It makes everything so much less of a hassle trying to keep them from coming apart, finding a place to hang them and move them out of the way when you're pulling stuff out. Spend a half hour or whatever it takes removing them completely, and it will save you a ton of time down the road. You'll have much more room in your engine bay to reach stuff and won't have to reach around them.

Bass Man
07-01-2009, 09:03 PM
CV axles are easy once you get the end nut off. Just take the lower arm off the spindle, then the steering arm off the spindle, then you can just pull the axle right out! You should have a drain bucket under the tranny under the axle you are pulling.

parkersnine
07-02-2009, 03:15 AM
Thanks for the tips..How hard is it to get the cv back in and tight? Was told that I will have to get a shop to torque it down because i will not be able to get it tight enough...I am having trouble getting the nut off since I do not have air tools. The half inch drive and cheater bar did not cut it...tore up the wrench. I hear pb blaster helps. I soaked it in Liquid Wrench for a few days.