PDA

View Full Version : Headlight flip issue...

Z-CARR
07-01-2009, 08:41 PM
I usually like to just find the info I'm needing via search, but I couldn't find anything this time.

A couple nights ago my driver's side headlamp assembly was much slower to pop up than the other one. Neither one has even hinted at having a problem before. When I shut them off again it did not go back down like the passenger side. I got out and put a very mild amount of pressure on it just to see if it was hung somehow. It was very firmly stuck in place.

I thought to myself "at least it stuck UP instead of down". I pushed in the button on the dash to keep the lights up all the time and decided to worry about it this weekend. I noticed today on my way to work that the driver's side assembly had lowered 2/3 of the way on it's own despite the always up button being engaged. When I got to where I was going I got out and looked at it. I pulled up on it and it moved with very little resistance. It almost wants to fall back down on it's own.

I released the always up botton and tried to get the them both to open and close, but the driver's side moves little to none under it's own power. I haven't ever really studied the headlight assembly before and I'm in Atlanta on business this week and so I don't have my FSM, garage, or tools available to dismantle and diagnose.

What are your guesses as to the piece or pieces of the assembly that I'm going to need to replace? A gear? Or the motor itself, maybe?

Oh.. By the way. It's a 1989 LX with 200,500 proud miles (I know the miles don't matter, but I like to say it.)

Thanks in advance for your help!

1987AccordLx-i
07-06-2009, 08:08 PM
I usually like to just find the info I'm needing via search, but I couldn't find anything this time.

A couple nights ago my driver's side headlamp assembly was much slower to pop up than the other one. Neither one has even hinted at having a problem before. When I shut them off again it did not go back down like the passenger side. I got out and put a very mild amount of pressure on it just to see if it was hung somehow. It was very firmly stuck in place.

I thought to myself "at least it stuck UP instead of down". I pushed in the button on the dash to keep the lights up all the time and decided to worry about it this weekend. I noticed today on my way to work that the driver's side assembly had lowered 2/3 of the way on it's own despite the always up button being engaged. When I got to where I was going I got out and looked at it. I pulled up on it and it moved with very little resistance. It almost wants to fall back down on it's own.

I released the always up botton and tried to get the them both to open and close, but the driver's side moves little to none under it's own power. I haven't ever really studied the headlight assembly before and I'm in Atlanta on business this week and so I don't have my FSM, garage, or tools available to dismantle and diagnose.

What are your guesses as to the piece or pieces of the assembly that I'm going to need to replace? A gear? Or the motor itself, maybe?

Oh.. By the way. It's a 1989 LX with 200,500 proud miles (I know the miles don't matter, but I like to say it.)

Thanks in advance for your help!

well it could be a couple of things..
1. theres an arm that goes from the headlight to the retractor motor.. it could possibly be bent or disconnected from the retractor motor causing it to move freely..
2. the retractor motor could be bad or it could be getting ready to call it quits

jasonrebellion
07-06-2009, 09:37 PM
sounds like the motor to me, get one out of a junker and try that

labeledsk8r
07-06-2009, 10:54 PM
sounds like it could be the motor or gearing on the motor.

did you try pulling the fuse and useing the manual spiner to raise/lower it? if you twist that and it still doesnt move you will be able to tell its the gearing

Civic Accord Honda
07-07-2009, 11:07 AM
could be the plastic clip that holds the arm to the motor

itzdave
07-07-2009, 08:04 PM
where you at? i have a parts car that im scrapping... still has the working motors.

Dr_Snooz
07-07-2009, 08:39 PM
$5 says two drops of oil and you'll be golden again.