PDA

View Full Version : time for new motor

fijisac
07-07-2009, 04:30 PM
well i finally did a compression test on my car 2day and the results have mad me mad for bout 2 hours cause i did a dry compression test and got 60 psi in all 4 cylinders. then i did to do a wet compression (dat when you squirt a teaspoon of oil through the spark plug hole, dis test will tell u if ur rings r bad.) i got 70 psi in all 4 cylinder. then i decided to cylinder leak down test. and i got 20% leakage in cylinder 1,3,4 and i got 60% in cylinder 2. so after a shit load of people telling me i should have never bought da car, i am now thinking bout wut 2 do with the car itself. well wut do u think i should do

Civic Accord Honda
07-07-2009, 05:18 PM
should try replaceing the head gasket and does it use any coolant? how many miles? burn any oil?

Rendon LX-i
07-07-2009, 05:37 PM
get a civic

Civic Accord Honda
07-07-2009, 05:47 PM
get a civic

:slap: !

nfs480
07-07-2009, 06:16 PM
get a civic

I think you mean, fix the 3gee!

2drSE-i
07-07-2009, 06:41 PM
That seems like pretty solid leakage throughout the motor. Should be 120 per cylinder if im not mistaken. You probably do have a blow headgasket.

Rendon LX-i
07-07-2009, 06:49 PM
Just giving the kid shit lol......just fix the the head gasket lol and go from there...

fijisac
07-07-2009, 06:54 PM
lol head gasket, i just changed dat bak in February and i'm not buring any coolent, or oil

88Accord-DX
07-07-2009, 06:55 PM
I don't see how it ran with them numbers. Used motor is your best shot at this point if you want to keep it. :wave:

ZackieDarko
07-07-2009, 06:57 PM
did you warm the motor up first?

i know it wouldnnt account for all that pressure loss but maybe it isnt as bad as you think?

fijisac
07-07-2009, 06:58 PM
I don't see how it ran with them numbers. Used motor is your best shot at this point if you want to keep it. :wave:

lol i was thinking da same thing but i really want to rebuild da motor but i will have 2 c how much money i got

Civic Accord Honda
07-07-2009, 07:36 PM
i dont see how you could have that bad of compression if you dont burn oil... with numbers like that your rings would have to be shot and if that was it would be burning oil like mad and smoking lol... then again valve seals could be playing a big part of tho

fijisac
07-07-2009, 07:41 PM
now that you think bout it, i have not seen any smoke while driving (even under load) but yea dats ture, if it was my ring then i would b blowing out black smoke, dis it hella strange, do u think dat the pcv valve could cause dis problem?

88Accord-DX
07-07-2009, 07:45 PM
lol i was thinking da same thing but i really want to rebuild da motor but i will have 2 c how much money i got

Rebuilding the motor isn't going to be cheap. Sounds like if you get the block bored out & get some oversized pistons & rings your might be good. The thing is, you have to mic the rod & crank to see if you can still use standard size rod & crank bearings.

I will say, rebuilding a motor isn't for the average shady tree mechanic. It might look easy on paper & on the net, but if your not sure on what your doing, it might be a waste of money.

Rebuilding my engine ran me about $1,200 for the engine alone, not including other parts I felt needed to be replaced. That was doing it myself with block & head work done by a machine shop.

fijisac
07-07-2009, 07:48 PM
Rebuilding the motor isn't going to be cheap. Sounds like if you get the block bored out & get some oversized pistons & rings your might be good. The thing is, you have to mic the rod & crank to see if you can still use standard size rod & crank bearings.

I will say, rebuilding a motor isn't for the average shady tree mechanic. It might look easy on paper & on the net, but if not sure on what your doing, it might be a waste of money.

Rebuilding my engine ran me about $1,200 for the engine alone, not including other parts I felt needed to be replaced.

well dam, dats a lot for a rebuilt motor, i think dat idea is out, i just might get a used low mileage motor then

Civic Accord Honda
07-07-2009, 07:51 PM
does it smoke on startup for the first couple of seconds?

fijisac
07-07-2009, 07:54 PM
does it smoke on startup for the first couple of seconds?

well i just checked right now and it does not smoke at all but i do smell bad emissions tho, lol

88Accord-DX
07-07-2009, 07:58 PM
If your valve lash is out of whack (to tight) than your leak down will be bad. It seems like if it ran something else might be the problem. Make sure your timing is correct also on the timing belt.

fijisac
07-07-2009, 08:06 PM
If your valve lash is out of whack (to tight) than your leak down will be bad. It seems like if it ran something else might be the problem. Make sure your timing is correct also on the timing belt.

well my timing is ok but i do need to check the valve lash

88Accord-DX
07-07-2009, 08:16 PM
well my timing is ok but i do need to check the valve lash

I doubt your valve lash is out of whack that much, but make sure when your doing a leak down test on any cylinder that the camshaft lobe isn't touching a valve on either the exhaust or intake at TDC on each cylinder your testing.

fijisac
07-07-2009, 08:24 PM
I doubt your valve lash is out of whack that much, but make sure when your doing a leak down test on any cylinder that the camshaft lobe isn't touching a valve on either the exhaust or intake at TDC on each cylinder your testing.

well my instructor told me dat if there is 20% leakage in a cylinder, its ok, but i can head the air pressure from the valve cover and from the oil dip stick tube so i would think dat the ring are bad but i'm not blowing out black smoke, dis is very strange

Civic Accord Honda
07-07-2009, 08:36 PM
does the car drive and run fine? have decent power? if so i wouldn't worry about it much..

Demon1024
07-08-2009, 12:32 AM
Lol you did open the throttle all the way for the test right?
And as was said warmed it to operating temperature?
Sounds like bent valve on the 60% imo
did the people you bought it from say they just replaced the timing belt?
And im betting it doesnt run real good if you decided to do a comp test right :)

fijisac
07-08-2009, 05:27 PM
Lol you did open the throttle all the way for the test right?
And as was said warmed it to operating temperature?
Sounds like bent valve on the 60% imo
did the people you bought it from say they just replaced the timing belt?
And im betting it doesnt run real good if you decided to do a comp test right :)

well yes and no
yes i did go WOT and it was warmed up when i did da test and the reason why i did the test was because my friend did not wanted 2 do it on his 5.0 so he told me to bring my car cause i was easier 2 do

1ajs
07-08-2009, 08:49 PM
well i finally did a compression test on my car 2day and the results have mad me mad for bout 2 hours cause i did a dry compression test and got 60 psi in all 4 cylinders. then i did to do a wet compression (dat when you squirt a teaspoon of oil through the spark plug hole, dis test will tell u if ur rings r bad.) i got 70 psi in all 4 cylinder. then i decided to cylinder leak down test. and i got 20% leakage in cylinder 1,3,4 and i got 60% in cylinder 2. so after a shit load of people telling me i should have never bought da car, i am now thinking bout wut 2 do with the car itself. well wut do u think i should do

what kinda shape is the body in rust wise ect? it its in good shape i would say just hunt for a motor to swap in it not all that hard to do can be done in a afternoon or over a weekend

1ajs
07-08-2009, 08:56 PM
sure u had the tester set up properly?

fijisac
07-09-2009, 04:53 PM
sure u had the tester set up properly?

well i did follow da instructions from da text book, disable fuel and spark, WOT, warm engine up, ect. well i i'm not to sure bout rust but the front end needs some work done so when i get da money i think i will just swap out da motor and change out da front end on it

Lil Mike
07-09-2009, 05:28 PM
why do you always type da it drive me nuts.

fijisac
07-09-2009, 05:46 PM
why do you always type da it drive me nuts.

well i write because it is shorter and faster to typeand i will stop doing that if it drives you nuts:cool:

Lil Mike
07-09-2009, 10:16 PM
well i write because it is shorter and faster to typeand i will stop doing that if it drives you nuts:cool:

please do, thanks :flash: back on topic, the car runs with that low compression?? i would try a different leak down and compression tester.

fijisac
07-11-2009, 07:54 AM
please do, thanks :flash: back on topic, the car runs with that low compression?? i would try a different leak down and compression tester.

yea i know, my friends told me 2 use a different compression tester and see if the result is the same