PDA

View Full Version : Weird Knock sound when Brakes applied.

SOHC
07-08-2009, 12:49 AM
I get a wierd Loud Knock when I start to press my brakes.... I think it might be the stabilizer bar sliding back and forth?

2oodoor
07-08-2009, 03:16 AM
control arm bushing(s)

SOHC
07-08-2009, 10:02 AM
Theres a Brand New Control arm in it. I put it in Last week.

2oodoor
07-08-2009, 10:49 AM
Y?

something is loose obviously, check everything..those are not supposed to be torqued balls azz tight because they need to move up and down freely but sometimes they are left a little too loose so you have end to end movement.. not what you want.

SOHC
07-08-2009, 11:01 AM
I take a pic of y I replaced it, I do believe I cranked it down quite tight, but I could be wrong. Its a nice day today no more bloody rain ( 2weeks) I think I'll go make sure,

thanks Roodoo

Strugglebucket
07-08-2009, 12:09 PM
Also check to make sure you don't have a broken caliper bolt.

SOHC
07-08-2009, 05:31 PM
when I touch the brakes I get a *ting* sound, like its coming from my coilover, But I can feel it in the Wheel and on the pedals. so I have no Idea what it could be I was under my car for like 4 hours today lloking for that sound checking every bolt!

AZmike
07-08-2009, 07:31 PM
Did you check the radius rod nuts on the front cross member?

1ajs
07-08-2009, 08:28 PM
motor mounts

axles

struts

plastic gravel gard it makes a fare bit of noise beleave it or not...

ur shocks?

hows ur bearings on the front?

hows the disks doing

also u check ur pads?

Oldblueaccord
07-09-2009, 06:37 AM
If you feel it in the pedal then it sounds like the rotors are warped. Also any loose steering part will make this "rockin" noise much worse.

wp

SOHC
07-09-2009, 01:01 PM
I hear the *ting* sounds when ever i hit a bump or when I shift, It pretty much happens when the Front end drops during a shift or a small dip, enought to make the coils bend.

Oldblueaccord
07-12-2009, 01:34 AM
Standard front end check:

1: jack up one side of the car until one tire is off the ground. The other side tire must be on the ground. I use the jacking point under the doors.

2: grab the tire in the air at the 3 and 9 o clock postion and shake/rock back and forth. slow at first. You might need someone to help look underneath. This checks tie-rods,steering rack etc. start kinda slow and work your way up a little harder. Your looking for loosness at the joints. Use common sense of course the steering wheel will move or the other tire may move if you shake the shit outta it.

3: Grab the tire 12 and 6 o clock. Rock back and fourth.This checks the wheel bearing and ball joints(upper and lower) and upper links(bushings). There should be no play in the wheel bearings.

4: this check might show ball joints/upper link a little better. Use a pry bar under the tire at the 6 o clock pos. pry up look for slop ,looseness while prying. The upper link ball joint and bushings near the body are what your looking at.

This is your basic "front end check" any good mechanic should know. It works for all makes and models of cars.

Try this.

wp

SOHC
07-12-2009, 07:22 PM
I've done that. everything is tight, I get a Ping sound out of my coilovers now.

Dr_Snooz
07-13-2009, 07:45 PM
I notice you say coilovers. As in not stock. If you did some suspension work, make sure your mounting bolts are all tight. You didn't hack up the springs or anything, right? Ham-handed suspension butchery can cause all kinds of fun. Odd noises could very well be the least of your worries.

Dr_Snooz
07-13-2009, 07:47 PM
I just read your other post. You might want to be looking for rust in your shock towers.

SOHC
07-14-2009, 11:03 AM
I notice you say coilovers. As in not stock. If you did some suspension work, make sure your mounting bolts are all tight. You didn't hack up the springs or anything, right? Ham-handed suspension butchery can cause all kinds of fun. Odd noises could very well be the least of your worries.

Yeah there coilovers, no I didnt even try to modify them, its all stock. I bought the car like this off my mother! I can post a pic if you'd like.

gp02a0083
07-14-2009, 11:43 AM
check the brake calipers , if its got the floating pins (the part that has the rubber seal that you use to bolt the caliper to the spindle) this happened on my 87 lxi, when i swapped the from brakes to the 89's i took both pins out and put anti seize on them

jsut take the caliper off and see if they got play in them