PDA

View Full Version : 88 honda lxi turn over but no fire?

jamesh23
07-08-2009, 10:53 PM
I have a 88 lxi 5 spd hatch, its got 254000 miles, Some days it will fire right up and run good all day, some days it will fire up good a few times, ill leave it parked for 15-20 mins and come back and it turns over but will not start, I can roll it down a hill and pop the clutch and it will run. other days it will turn over and not start at all. The most recent case was yesterday it wouldnt start at all so i left it, today i was going to sell it so I had to get it started, well I went to push it down a hill and got it going about 20 tried popping the clutch it started, made a deep tone like it was running and than died, tried popping it about 2 more times and it did the same thing. This was in the heat of the day by the way. No I went back to it around 12:30 at night and it started right up but I smelt a strong odor of gas, whats wrong with it? im about to just give it to the junkyard.

Hauntd ca3
07-09-2009, 12:38 AM
main relay

jamesh23
07-09-2009, 10:58 PM
fuel pump relay?how hard is that to put in?

Rendon LX-i
07-09-2009, 11:32 PM
its a bitch to get to bro...its easy but just hard to get to...

Hauntd ca3
07-10-2009, 01:53 AM
thankfully havnt had to do one on mine yet, but if they anything like a cd6, it'll be a prick of a job to get at, but it just unplugs and plug the new one in.

SOHC
07-10-2009, 11:31 AM
Sounds like your getting little to no Spark to the cylinders, you might what to check your plugs, Wires, distributor and your coil.

Ayeobe
07-10-2009, 11:38 AM
Yeah check the main relay. If it dosnt start when its hot out, its most likely that. When i was at mechanic school, one of the teachers literily made me buy it withought even testing it out, and sure enough it was the main relay. I suggest not putting it back into place when you take it down..lol

On my car, it was bolted right up under the dash way up next to the cluster... If you lay down next to your pedals, and look straight up with a light towards the corner of the dash, you should see it.
I'd get a pic, but mine aint there anymore, lol.