PDA

View Full Version : Wheel bearings..and oil Q...

Dutchboy
10-01-2002, 06:09 PM
1))ok wondering if anyone else has replaced the wheel bearing and noticed any change in the braking??????

i think that since my car had both calipers focked that since it pushed the one pad against the rotor that it screwed the bearings and now they have side to side play..I can wiggle the wheel more on the side that my brakes squeek,,
and my brakes are perfect on high speeds and vague on slow...

so i figure that the bearings straighten out becasue of the motion at high speed and slop around at the lower speeds therefore the poor pedal somtimes....
Anyone else have this.??????:)

2)) And also is there oil supposed to be coming out of the breather pipe off the oil pan.???
i changed the seal a few days ago and then it was leaking again i so thought ...but the only place i could see was from the tube>>???....so i twisted it more and it seemed to stop..

sorry for the long post ,,,,,:lol
Ben :stick: :smokin:

ACCORD EX
10-02-2002, 06:21 AM
all i noticed when i changed the bearings that the horible sound ( woooooooooooh ) disappeared at high speeds !

about the breather pip thing check your pcv valve !

MIKE

Dutchboy
10-02-2002, 09:43 AM
thanks ACCORD EX....

well im guessing that youve done them before...so how is it???
Will I be able to remove them by myself or do you suggest getting them pressed out???

and as for the breather pipe....since i just redid the oil pan gasket...i couldnt get that tube on to easy after i was done since it was so stiff...so i cut it and just got it on by bending it and all....i think that the leaking is stopped now...i think i will replace the old one anyway....Oil must condense in the vent and run back down after shutdown....I just replacedd the PCV about 10000km ago..

BEn

ACCORD EX
10-02-2002, 10:24 AM
oh sorry ! i didn't get the oil pan thing at first !

anyway about the wheel bearings i only changed the front one , and i couldn't get the bearing out of the hub by my self ! tried everything ! so i took the hub with me to a shop and they couldn't get it out either ( hydrolic hand press ) , i finally got it at a shop had an automatic press !
so take the hub to a shop and press the old one out and the new one in ! ( oil or grease ( bearing grease ) the new one before putting it in )

good luck !

MIKE

YK86
10-02-2002, 10:37 AM
I just did my bearing. You defiently have to get a shop to press it in since the hub is pressed into the bearing and then the bearing is pressed into the knuckle.

As for the pipe in the back, I need to replace that too. It's like rock hard now and I always see oil slowly leaking out.

Dutchboy
10-02-2002, 01:20 PM
oh okk...thanks..,,.YK86 ....what do you figure the cost of the replacement including the shop work be at so i have a rough idea of what i need to save up for????

and i guess that means that the little pipe does leak if you have the same thing....That is good becasue i thought that the oil pan might have been leaking ......I WAS so mad when i first saw it....so i let some rubber off the tires..hehehe.....blue smoke rose and it was fun...

BEn

night
10-02-2002, 04:00 PM
you mean there is vertical play in the hub ?
thats the only reason to touch the bearings. other than if one went bad. but then the noise is unmistakeable.

and the inner race almost always has to be torched/cut off the hub

YK86
10-02-2002, 04:39 PM
I paid for the bearing and getting it pressed in which was roughly $120 CAD including taxes (about $80US). I did the other labour myself which was about an hour and a half. So assuming you pay about $60/hr for labour, I guess the total would be around $200???

Dutchboy
10-02-2002, 04:41 PM
well the thing is i know my dads had it on his cars that when the bearings were worn or loose that the brakes didnt perform to well on the front....
My front brakes squeel...I just replaced all the components last month...so cant be that...
and i can wiggle the wheel..and you can hear a faint "clunk"....My balljoints are all good and you can see it that its the rotor making the sound...
so i figure that the bearings are worn in the race or something...
Like i said...brakes work perfect at high speeds. now that i fixxed the rear adjuster problem ....but at low speed they sqeak and the peddle goes lower...

man this is along one again;....thanks to all you read this far..
Ben

Dutchboy
10-02-2002, 04:43 PM
Oh also i have wheel wobble and i read that bad bearings can cause that too....The weird thing is i dont have a howling sound or anything...
unless i dont realize it..
BEn

Dutchboy
10-02-2002, 04:44 PM
for both sides that price is???
or one???
BEn

you posted at the same time

ACCORD EX
10-03-2002, 01:03 AM
you don't have to change both sides ! :)

MIKE

POS carb
10-03-2002, 09:33 AM
NAPA wanted $50 just to press mine in, I was like Fuck that and I hammered them in with a big socket and hammer combo, also change your lower ball joints while your at it because i think you have to take out the wheel bearing to get to it, I don't remember, I did them at the same time.
But if your wheel bearings are bad your car will sound like your driving with some 33" super swamper off road tires "Brrwooooooaah"

Dutchboy
10-03-2002, 09:43 AM
ok thanks....when i get the money i think i will at least take the knuckle off and check them that way.. so if they need doing then i wont have to take it apart twice...
I will have to see if the balljoints cant come out without the hub off...Thanks POS carb....i would do them at the same time then too..

BEn

ACCORD EX
10-04-2002, 01:40 AM
the ball joint also needs a special press ! :) and the knuckle need to be removed ! so do them at once ! :)

MIKE