PDA

View Full Version : AC problem

beeanner
07-11-2009, 05:47 AM
I have an issue with my 87 accord's ac. After 2 weeks of trouble shooting, and many dollars wasted on freon, stop leak and dye stuff, i still have a major leak in the system somewhere. It usually only takes around 8 hours or so for the whole system to be completely empty of freon. With the Oklahoma temps hiting 105, a little cool air in the 3g would be nice :)

When the system is charged and full it runs like a champ. Blows nice cold air.

Ive checked all the hoses and joints. No leaks. Cant find any signs of leaks on the compressor. The only thing I havent done yet is to pull the evaporator out from the dash area. I havent seen any signs of dye on the ground from the drain tube from the evaporator though.

Im I overlooking something? Could the compressor leak that bad and not have dye all over it?

Also, the car has been converted to 134.

Any ideas and thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!

Bluntman
07-11-2009, 08:49 AM
I have an issue with my 87 accord's ac. After 2 weeks of trouble shooting, and many dollars wasted on freon, stop leak and dye stuff, i still have a major leak in the system somewhere. It usually only takes around 8 hours or so for the whole system to be completely empty of freon. With the Oklahoma temps hiting 105, a little cool air in the 3g would be nice :)

When the system is charged and full it runs like a champ. Blows nice cold air.

Ive checked all the hoses and joints. No leaks. Cant find any signs of leaks on the compressor. The only thing I havent done yet is to pull the evaporator out from the dash area. I havent seen any signs of dye on the ground from the drain tube from the evaporator though.

Im I overlooking something? Could the compressor leak that bad and not have dye all over it?

Also, the car has been converted to 134.

Any ideas and thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!

Are you using the uv dye and a blacklight type flashlight to see the dye marks? The dye I bought came with a pen light.

beeanner
07-11-2009, 09:34 AM
Are you using the uv dye and a blacklight type flashlight to see the dye marks? The dye I bought came with a pen light.

Ive been using the blacklight flashlite to check for leaks. I saw the pen light with dye at advanced auto but havent tried it yet.

I check the dryer surrounding area for leaks as well and found nothing. Im positive the dye and light are working as I can see the dye left on the low preasure nozzle when we fill it.

Bluntman
07-11-2009, 10:44 AM
Ive been using the blacklight flashlite to check for leaks. I saw the pen light with dye at advanced auto but havent tried it yet.

I check the dryer surrounding area for leaks as well and found nothing. Im positive the dye and light are working as I can see the dye left on the low preasure nozzle when we fill it.

Check the condenser in front of the radiator with your light.
http://i89.servimg.com/u/f89/12/59/29/63/conden10.jpg (http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=637&u=12592963)

Ayeobe
07-11-2009, 11:40 AM
Yeah, the condencer was my problem. Well, still is. Quite uncool.

beeanner
07-14-2009, 08:29 AM
Just wanted to say thank to everyone for the recomendation on checking the condensor. That turned out to be the problem. The area where the discharge line bolts up was leaking something bad. New oring on the line and so far so good!

It doents seem to blow super cold air, so im guessing the expansion valve could be going south as well. But for now its blowing cold enough to make it more enjoyable to drive.

2drSE-i
07-14-2009, 09:34 AM
Hey, oklahoma huh? where at?

I feel ya, Yesterday i took a ten minute drive and was severly dehydrated when i got home lol...

Bluntman
07-15-2009, 09:45 AM
Just wanted to say thank to everyone for the recomendation on checking the condensor. That turned out to be the problem. The area where the discharge line bolts up was leaking something bad. New oring on the line and so far so good!

It doents seem to blow super cold air, so im guessing the expansion valve could be going south as well. But for now its blowing cold enough to make it more enjoyable to drive.

Glad it worked out for you. This is the site to fix anything on these cars. Seems like everyone has had the problem that anyone is asking about. I learned quite a bit about these cars on here, somebody always knows a little something to head in the right direction.

beeanner
07-20-2009, 01:06 PM
Hey, oklahoma huh? where at?

I feel ya, Yesterday i took a ten minute drive and was severly dehydrated when i got home lol...

Oklahoma City area. Bethany actually. If you see a faded champagne colored honda with a bald dude drivin, that would be me! lol.

LX-incredible
07-20-2009, 03:12 PM
Did you add oil to the system? Oil helps to seal between the vanes/rings of the compressor and will increase pressure differential, dropping the temp. It will also obviously increase compressor life and reduce refrigerant leaks. Just don't add too much...

2drSE-i
07-20-2009, 08:49 PM
im actually almost positive i saw you a couple of weeks ago. i live on meridian, about 2 miles north of the airport.

Xulfiqar
07-24-2009, 12:09 PM
the original condenser in the 3g will not cool down the R134a refrigerant, you need a multiflow unit upfront to cool this gas down and also a multiflow evaporator coil to make it absorb heat, pretty bastard gas this R134

Thats why I put in propane - and its just absolutely freezing inside the car

and speaking of A/C I just got my hands on a brand new oldschool ND compressor for a 3G - its the one with a curved magnet pulley - and BOY does it pump - it can drop temps in the cab in any arabian heat conditions - try finding this type of compressor you can identify it by a large bulging head and giant magnet in front of the pulley

LX-incredible
07-24-2009, 12:27 PM
The condenser will handle R134a, it just won't be as cold as the R12. I'm pretty happy with the 134, even in the AZ heat. Colder than any new car I've been in at least.

The evaporator is parallel flow on these cars, but I have yet to see a suitable condenser to fit...

mephi
07-25-2009, 01:07 AM
the original condenser in the 3g will not cool down the R134a refrigerant, you need a multiflow unit upfront to cool this gas down and also a multiflow evaporator coil to make it absorb heat, pretty bastard gas this R134

Thats why I put in propane - and its just absolutely freezing inside the car

and speaking of A/C I just got my hands on a brand new oldschool ND compressor for a 3G - its the one with a curved magnet pulley - and BOY does it pump - it can drop temps in the cab in any arabian heat conditions - try finding this type of compressor you can identify it by a large bulging head and giant magnet in front of the pulley

Propane works...but it seems like it would be incredibly dangerous to have sitting right behind the bumper. It's also illegal to use as a refrigerant in many states in the US. Technically it's also illegal for someone without proper training to recharge or service an r-12 system though...

That said, there are several fairly flammable refrigerants that are acceptable for use. Even R-134 will burn. It has an auto ignition point of around 750 degrees C. It just depends on how dangerous you want your A/C system to be.

Pnem3
07-31-2009, 12:14 PM
As I have said before in other threads, I have propane / isobutane (60/40) in my AC system. It's a direct drop in. You don't need to change the compressor, the oil, the condenser, the lines, or the seals. It's safe for the environment. Its CHEAP. It's more efficient and therefore strains the compressor less and uses less gasoline (better gas mileage). It's COLD! It isn't for everyone but for some of us it works great.