PDA

View Full Version : Paint removal question

Ayeobe
07-12-2009, 07:21 PM
So that accord i was gunna get, some asshat painted it with some shitty black. Its peeling at spots and you can see the nice minty champagne under, but im not sure how or if there even is a way to remove that craptastic paint. Its on the lights, on the trim, on the windows... I would kill the man who did it, but if its the owner of the car, i need him alive to sign it over to me lol.

So, in order to make it less of a total abomination for the time being, do you guys know how to remove a layer of bad-quality paint, hopefully withought taking off enough to mess up the good stuff under?

jasonrebellion
07-12-2009, 08:27 PM
maybe with a shitload of rubbing compound

ghettogeddy
07-12-2009, 08:31 PM
maybe a razor blade if you can get it right you might be able to chip it off with out hurting the under to much

Ayeobe
07-12-2009, 08:35 PM
Hahahaha... Wow that would be awesome, though insanely time consuming. I would literily shave the car..

And...rubbing compound? I wonder how that would work..

MessyHonda
07-12-2009, 08:35 PM
yeah this is something you will have to do by hand... maybe like a heat gun with out trying to hurt the underneath paint

Ayeobe
07-12-2009, 08:41 PM
Oh god, i did 11 hours with a heat gun once... A 20foot extended ramvan totily coverd in vinil stickers. Hell...

Hey, another question, also for rectifying some foold mistakes.. There is a sticker on the dash. I wonder how THAT would come off withought dameging the dash. I mean, the paint i dont realy care so much, its mostly to get my friend to shut up about how shit the car looks, but i need the sticker gone.

So, Maybe a somewhat abrasive buff for the paint, followed by a waxing? I dont know.. the paint is peeling off by itself, though, so its not on too good..

CzEcHy
07-12-2009, 08:58 PM
Acetone (Nail polish remover one), pour it on a rag and wipe fast..

Shouldn't damage the clear coat (never has damaged mine and I've used it alot)

Just make sure you pour it on a rag and don't let it sit

Ayeobe
07-12-2009, 09:02 PM
Perfect then! Itll be some kinda undertaking, but then, so will the entier car..
Thanks!
Now what of the damn sticker on the dash?

CzEcHy
07-12-2009, 09:07 PM
I'd take a razor to the sticker, then again use some acetone on a rag to get rid of the sticky left behind..

Ayeobe
07-12-2009, 09:12 PM
I dont know if i trust my hand on the dashboard's soft whatever it is to remove a sticker...

Man what fool decided to put a damn sticker on the dash anyway?! lol

halxi
07-12-2009, 09:16 PM
Heat gun on the dash, get it hot then peel just a corner with a razor blade and peel the rest up by hand. If you do it right, it shouldnt leave too much of the glue behind.

As for getting the rest of the paint off the car. HIGHLY compressed air should blow most of it off if its really flaking that easy. A pressure washer will do so also.

to get it off the lights (glass lights anyway) simply take a straight edge razor blade, then some acetone/lacquer thinner and wipe it clean.

CzEcHy
07-12-2009, 09:17 PM
Ya the razor part around my car always turns out bad.. But I don't seem to have problems with the paint removal (had to use alot of acetone when I painted my trim, even taping it all off the paint spray paint still managed to get everywhere..)

You could even try removing the sticker by hand without blade if you want, then just rub the hell out of whatevers left with a rag and water on the rag, it shouldn't hurt anything

Ayeobe
07-12-2009, 09:35 PM
Thanks alot, guys!
I will have to get the hood open... the batt is dead. No juice at all. So i gotta get under the hood to pop the lights and see what's what. The damn hood release is jammed ...so its gunna be fun. The back lights and front "lights" have paint on them though, so ill use that suggestion.

Thanks again.

ghettogeddy
07-13-2009, 07:41 AM
go out pop the hood push down the pull up on the hood it may release

Ayeobe
07-13-2009, 05:17 PM
Thing is the hood dosnt pop, heh. its not the part after the pop, but the pop itself... The handle thing to do the pop is all dissasembled, so i dont know whats up with that. I gotta talk to the mechanic i guess.

Thats prolly a small failure causing some big pains in my ass.

Dr_Snooz
07-13-2009, 06:42 PM
Sounds like you have quite the project ahead of you.

Most stickers come up with your fingernail. If it's been on for a few summers, I can't imagine it giving you a lot of trouble.

If the cable to the hood release is still around, then use some pliers to pull on it while your buddy pulls up on the hood.

Not sure about the paint, but I'd definitely start with the easiest, least destructive method first. It's crapping off on its own already, so it shouldn't be too hard to get it all off. I'd start with the pressure washer halxi noted above first.

Good luck!