PDA

View Full Version : Automatic transmission acting up

helmut
07-13-2009, 11:04 AM
I have noticed that the transmission works adequately when I first drive the car. Everything is normal for the first 30 minutes of driving. After that you can see the engine race a little when shifting gears. Also when I come to a stop I do not need to even put my foot on the brake as the car will not move forward until I step on the gas pedal. The transmission has a ton of miles 425000. It's a 1989 Honda Sei.

gp02a0083
07-13-2009, 11:12 AM
the trans is probably done , sounds like it need a rebuild or replacement

2ndGenGuy
07-13-2009, 12:04 PM
Did you try doing a fluid flush? Old burnt fluid will do that, and it sounds like it's getting hot after a while. How's the level and color of the fluid?

1987AccordLx-i
07-13-2009, 02:14 PM
check the fluid level and condition.. i remember on my first 3g the fluid level got too low and it started slipping major.. if the fluid is good then theres a chance that the trans is just telling you that its ready to die.. clutches are probably gone... id replace it or rebuild it...

2drSE-i
07-13-2009, 03:44 PM
Holy jesus 425k! On an auto! gives me hope anyway.

You might try adjusting the throttle cable thingy...lol. Let me see if i can find the how to

2drSE-i
07-13-2009, 03:45 PM
Its called the TV (Throttle Value) cable.
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40885

Dr_Snooz
07-13-2009, 06:50 PM
That mileage on an auto is absolutely unreal. I think your trans is done. At that mileage, don't bother trying to rebuild it. Just throw it out and buy a new one. Everything inside will be completely worn out so just pitch it. It's crazy that it's not slipping though. I suspect you've taken very good care of it.

lorirocks
07-13-2009, 11:52 PM
Mine just started acting up a bit too... I have 372'000 on my car. Basically it all works fine, except the clutch isn't locking in anymore on the highway (at speeds above 50mph/85km/h) like it usually did. It stopped locking in after a 1200 mile drive I've just done from Brisbane to Melbourne.... but the transmission has done a few funny things in the past which have somehow fixed themselves, so I'm not sure if I should wait or get something done.

I've only noticed 2 changes... obviousely less power when climbing hills and reduced milage on long distance trips. Before I was getting around 600 miles out of a full tank and now it's considerably less.

I played around a bit with the TV cable, but I don't think that's the problem. The Transmition fluid is full... and a good color, because I change it every 15'000 miles. I was just wondering if anybody has experienced this themselves? A friend of mine had the same car and since he'd gotten it, his clutch never locked in either...

A good way to tell if it's locked in is to vary the depression of the accelerator a bit on the highway and see if the Rpm's change... if they stay proportional to the speed then it's locked in... if they relfect what your foot is doing then it's not locked. When doing 60mph my rpm's would sit at about 2'500... going up and down hills... put now it's 2'500 down hills and up to 3'000 up hills.

By the way... does anybody else like the sound that trademark sound the transmition of the 3rd gen accord makes? I love it! (that kind of whining sound)... I've driven a later 2nd gen accord that made the same sound... but you get in the manual 3rd gen and it just isn't there. Still the extra power in the manual is nice.

But since I do have the auto, I drive a bit like a grandma to keep it in good shape.

Anyway... thanks in advance for any help...

gp02a0083
07-14-2009, 11:35 AM
600 mi out of a tank...... average of 37.74 miles a gallon?

if its loosing power up a hill, mine was starting similar symptoms , the trans is on its way out soon probally

2oodoor
07-15-2009, 04:22 AM
If it is not slipping there is hope dude, do a fluid change and fine tune the TV cable. Also engine tune up affects these as well.

ecogabriel
07-20-2009, 07:52 PM
Yeah, I like the sound too; it is like a small turbine spinning up