PDA

View Full Version : Sold on the Virtues of Synthetic Oil

DBMaster
07-13-2009, 12:34 PM
OK, maybe this is not exclusive to synthetic oil, but my primary colling fan motor burned out a couple of weeks ago. I thought maybe the A/C was not blowing as cold as it should when I was stuck at lights. When the temperature reached 100 outside I thought I had a cooling issue because the temp gauge would go up a bit if I had to sit at a light for more than a couple of minutes, but it would drop right back down as soon as I started moving.

I have a new fan on order and I removed the old one thinking at least the radiator would get a little better airflow for the next few days. I know that a friend of mine used synthetic oil a number of years ago to keep a car with a missing fan shroud from running hot in the summer. I am just amazed the car is not overheating with the big fan not working.

Dr_Snooz
07-13-2009, 07:17 PM
People claim a lot of benefits for synthetic oil, better mileage, less wear, etc. Preventing overheating is a new one to me. What do you think is going on?

MessyHonda
07-15-2009, 10:07 AM
People claim a lot of benefits for synthetic oil, better mileage, less wear, etc. Preventing overheating is a new one to me. What do you think is going on?

friction is friction....heat will always be around as long as your running the car

2ndGenGuy
07-15-2009, 10:15 AM
That's new to me as well... I didn't think the oil had the capability of absorbing that much heat and dissipating it elsewhere... Most of the heat I thought was due to the firey fire that explodes inside your cylinders.

DBMaster
07-15-2009, 03:28 PM
The Amsoil people still claim that their synthetic oil reduces engine temperatures by 20-50 degrees F. I replaced the fan thermo switch a couple of years ago. It does work, but even now with 100+ outside temps and the big cooling fan missing my little fan does not come on after the car is parked. So, SOMETHING is keeping the engine cooler. The other car I was referring to in my post was an 88 Thunderbird that belonged to my best friend. He had a mishap with it that bent the radiator support so he removed the fan shroud. The temp gauge would climb to H when he was stuck in traffic in the summer, but when he switched to Mobil 1 the temp stayed normal. Much of the heat in the engine does come from combustion, but the rest comes from friction.

Tdurr
07-15-2009, 04:11 PM
oil does help with cooling. And real synt oil actually puts a small film of oil on the metal(stick to it) so start ups are not as harsh on your motor.

There was a guy with a 350 z that did one of the best test i have ever seen for mineral vs synthetic oil. Dono where it is tho.

2ndGenGuy
07-15-2009, 05:19 PM
Yeah I know oil cooling helps somewhat, but to keep a car from overheating makes it sound like you've taken the entire task off the cooling system. There were vehicles that were primarily oil cooled... so I suppose it makes sense somewhat... but ehhhhhhh........