PDA

View Full Version : ARGH! Motherfuckin spindle nut!

Nafs Asdf
07-14-2009, 01:53 AM
So my plan today was to get my left cv joint replaced and put on my new springs, but I can't get past the spindle nut. :rant:

I soaked it with wd 40, put a screwdriver in the rotor to lock it in place and jumped up and down on my "breaker bar" (compiled from a bunch of sockets and extensions to get more leverage). But that bitch wont come loose. Also tried to break it loose with the wheel on and the car on the ground. Getting the thing to hold in place really isn't the problem, just that the nut is so fucking tight.

I guess I'm pretty much out of luck since I don't have any impact tools, or is there something else to try?

86ccord
07-14-2009, 06:11 AM
PB blaster.. try that. that stuff is hella tight!

carotman
07-14-2009, 07:01 AM
Sometimes they can be a real pain to remove.

I had to go to the dealer for my girlfriend's 98 Accord spindle nut. The 3/4 drive impact gun wouldn't even make it move :( They had to head the thing red hot twice before it came loose.

markmdz89hatch
07-14-2009, 07:42 AM
I bought a tool specifically for that task because I had the same thing happen.

it's a 3/4" drive 42 inch long breaker bar. ...and I specifically bought a 3/4" drive 6-point socket for the task too.

anyway, what I did before I had this tool (don't laugh, it actually worked) was bust out my dremmel with a cutting wheel on it and cut a deep score in the nut front to back, then hit it with a cold chisel and it split without marring the threads on the c/v. All I needed to do was get a new nut, which is cheap from Honda. ...or you can source one from a yard if it's in good shape.

markmdz89hatch
07-14-2009, 07:46 AM
Also, I DO NOT recommend it, but you can (yeah, done this too) take your breaker bar and socket, position it on the nut and put the bar so that the handle end is on the ground.

Then... ...start your engine! Put her in drive, roll forward enough to where the bar touches the ground, and then giver her a little gas. Be prepared to have a snapped breaker bar if the nut doesn't crack loose, but sometimes you gots to do what you gots to do.

danny nr crew
07-14-2009, 09:43 AM
wat i do to take those asses off is get a friend to press the brakes for u get a braker bar with the 6 point socket and also get a big ass hollow metal tube and slide the tube into the breaker bars end and jump or pull on the end of the tube

2ndGenGuy
07-14-2009, 09:54 AM
6 foot steel pipe on your breaker bar. That is all.

markmdz89hatch
07-14-2009, 10:29 AM

Been there, tried that.

First attempt: Snapped head off breaker bar.

Second attempt: New breaker bar. Bent the shit out of the tube and started twisting the head off the breaker bar.

Nafs Asdf
07-14-2009, 12:11 PM
I bought a tool specifically for that task because I had the same thing happen.

it's a 3/4" drive 42 inch long breaker bar. ...and I specifically bought a 3/4" drive 6-point socket for the task too.

anyway, what I did before I had this tool (don't laugh, it actually worked) was bust out my dremmel with a cutting wheel on it and cut a deep score in the nut front to back, then hit it with a cold chisel and it split without marring the threads on the c/v. All I needed to do was get a new nut, which is cheap from Honda. ...or you can source one from a yard if it's in good shape.

Hmm, that's not a bad idea. The cv joint I got came with a new spindle nut, so that's not a problem. Gonna see if I can't get it impacted loose first tho.

Nafs Asdf
07-14-2009, 12:17 PM
Another thing I tried was putting the end off my ratchet on top of the scissor jack and try to jack it out... Dunno if it was a good idea or not because I couldn't get the socket and ratchet to stay put. It would start to turn sideways and pop off the nut.

codyJDM
07-14-2009, 10:22 PM

Hell yeah. I do the same thing! lol.

lostforawhile
07-14-2009, 11:01 PM
did you drive the staking out of the nut first? it is staked into the notch on the splines, get rid of the extensions and crap, you need a half inch breaker bar, and a proper socket, plus a long pipe for leverage, have someone stand on the brakes, put the socket and breaker bar on the nut, and jump on the pipe.

3gmodifier
07-14-2009, 11:34 PM
a few times i would put the nreaker bar on there and use a stock scissor lift/jack and put it under the end of the breaker bar. jack it up till the car is off the jack stand and push down on the car and use its weight to break it. after breaking a couple of breaker bars i bought a 3/4 inch drive wrench and socket. now i can stand on the fucker and jump and the bar doesnt even flex.

markmdz89hatch
07-15-2009, 08:00 PM
a few times i would put the nreaker bar on there and use a stock scissor lift/jack and put it under the end of the breaker bar. jack it up till the car is off the jack stand and push down on the car and use its weight to break it. after breaking a couple of breaker bars i bought a 3/4 inch drive wrench and socket. now i can stand on the fucker and jump and the bar doesnt even flex.

Agreed, 3/4" is WAY stronger than 1/2". I have a collection of good quality, expensive, breaker bars that have twisted, or broken heads on them courtesy of my axle nut woes.

Only problem sometimes with jumping up and down on them, sometimes you just end up looking like a clown and still get nowhere.

Naf's --> If you did get a new nut with the axle, I wouldn't waste any time fighting with it, and instead I'd just bust out the dremmel, but be careful not to mar anything else like the hub, etc while you're cutting away. Good luck.

A18A
07-15-2009, 08:05 PM
^cool sig

MessyHonda
07-15-2009, 09:56 PM
32mm socket...your best bet now is to cut it off or get a bigger breaker bar

russiankid
07-16-2009, 10:00 AM
Give it some love taps with a hammer. Then heat it up with a torch till its hot as shit. Then break it loose.

cygnus x-1
07-16-2009, 09:35 PM
Then heat it up with a torch till its hot as shit.

Your bearings will not be happy if you do that.

If you already have a new axle and nut just go right for the dremel. If it won't come off with a huge breaker bar there's no use messing with it further.

C|

Dr_Snooz
07-17-2009, 06:36 PM

This is genius. A diamond cutting wheel is a few bucks from Lowes. You can try to get all mighty, or just handle it with the Dremel.