PDA

View Full Version : Auto transmission problem

beeanner
07-14-2009, 08:35 AM
You guys were super helpfull on ideas to fix my ac, so I thought I would toss this question out there.

When shifting the car from park to rev / drive, its VERY rough. Generally it makes a clank/pop noise when going into gear. And when driving down the road it seems to shift rough as well. Tranny has 270k on it as well.

Ive checked the fluid, the level and color is fine. I put some Lucas Oil tranny lube in it and it seemed to help a little, but not enough to make me not worry that the tranny is about to fall out from underneath the car.

Any recomendations on where to start on trying to get this thing shiffting better?

LX-incredible
07-14-2009, 09:19 AM
Use honda fluid.

turbo87
07-15-2009, 04:38 AM
check your engine and gearbox mounts.

Dr_Snooz
07-15-2009, 05:30 AM
At that mileage, your valve body is probably wearing out. As noted above, check your motor mounts, dog bone mount and your driveshafts. Try a flush. Honestly though, try to park on an incline so you can get a rolling start before shifting into gear and start looking for a manual to swap in.

2oodoor
07-16-2009, 04:04 AM
you need to repair your mounts or you will never get off the torque converter

Vanilla Sky
07-16-2009, 09:32 AM
I'm going to say that it's a broken front mount. The liquid filled ones are prone to breaking, especially after a quarter million miles. Inspect that mount first, and if it's broken, replace with a new mount.

Do you live in a hilly area, or do you live on flat ground? I'd have a hard time imagining that transmission not needing a rebuild after that many miles in the mountains. Not too hard to think of out in the desert, but in the mountains, no.

If your mounts are all fine, then I'd get some Honda ATF-Z and do at least a drain and fill. If that helps but doesn't cure the problem, do another drain and fill. Each drain and fill gets around half of the old fluid out, so doing it twice gets you to about 75% new fluid.

I'd also think about adding a transmission cooler to your car. I pulled a cooler from an Aerostar van in the junkyard. It was $8 and helped out tons. I live in Florida, so I didn't really have to worry about thermostatically controlling it during the Winter.

beeanner
07-20-2009, 01:00 PM
Thanks for all the info folks! Ill look into the mounts and try the honda tranny fluid after a flush.

I would think about doing a manual swap, but im not a fan of manual's. Long legs, and all around just being too lazy to shift makes me enjoy auto trannys :) .

Also another question to ask. Front power windows seem to roll up slower then snot till about 90% then kinda stop, stutter, move a bit, stop, move some, ect, until they are all the way up. Any ideas on the cause of that?

Its a beater, but at 30mpg and no car payment im having a ball trying to fix all the crap :)

headbanger
07-20-2009, 02:28 PM
what is car idling at?