PDA

View Full Version : Crank Bolt = Bitch... Big Thank You!

DocStirling
07-17-2009, 03:10 PM
I was following a water pump thread and someone said to put a 1/2" extension down the timing site hole {Auto only} (I used a fat 6" one in the timing hole, with a 6' breaker bar on 2- 12" ext. and a 17mm Impact socket on the crank nut (left turn)) I don't remember who you were but I owe you a case of good beer!

I remember last time I did this I rented a 3/4" Impact and f**k around w/ that and finally got it, although my compressor only had enough poop to hit it once or twice before recharge.

This nfo and the no black box + mechanical secondaries have to be some of the best advice I've received from this site!

I just wanted to thank you guys

P.S. figuring out the Prothane bushings for front and rear at this time.

2ndGenGuy
07-17-2009, 03:38 PM
Uh... :hsugh: that was me... yeah... that's it... :naughty: me.... :squint: I'll be up to collect my beer shortly... :beer:

Congrats on getting that bastard off!

Vanilla Sky
07-17-2009, 07:09 PM
I've pulled 2 or 3 cranks and have never had an issue. I just find the longest cheater bar that I can and have at it. Works every time.

Dr_Snooz
07-17-2009, 07:23 PM
Glad you were able to get it sorted. Repay us by keeping it running for a long long time.

Demon1024
07-17-2009, 10:11 PM
I took mine to 2 shops who both gave up after breaking sockets before i got a 4 1/2 foot breaker bar. One of the best tool purchases i've ever made

russiankid
07-18-2009, 06:28 AM
I just went to a muffler shop, handed the mechanic a $20 and he used a plasma cutter to heat up the bolt and then a nice impact gun.

A18A
07-18-2009, 07:07 AM
i put my breaker bar on it, and the a pole over the breaker bar, and then a iron rod in the pole, had about2 - 2.5 metres of leverage, came off with ease :) if only the cv joint nuts where as simple

DocStirling
07-18-2009, 07:34 AM
Thanks guys, I'll keep it running for a while longer, I have been working on it since 2000, It's a good little car, but everyone keeps asking why I don't buy a new car... Because I like it and she's cheap to work on.

Hey 2ndGenGuy your welcome up to throw back a few any time, but since were in Wa. WE NEED TO Drink responsibly or Not ;)