PDA

View Full Version : Help Fuel Cut-off/ Main Relay on Carb 88 LX

sbeasley
07-18-2009, 09:52 AM
OK, I have read all of the Hell Week 3G threads about the Main Relay. I'm 99.9% sure mine needs to be re-soldered, but I cannot find it.

* I have removed change drawer and lowered the fuse panel.

* I have been upside down with a flash light for so long I'm light headed. My face has a 5 o,clock shawdow of mouse fur from the ac duct. lol :wtf:

* I mistakingly removed the Cruise Control Brain Unit hoping the relay was hiding up there.

* I also have the pain in ass power antenna assembly at my mercy if I had a replacement antenna mast. :gun:

I do not understand where it could be, could it be that they are located in a different spot on carbed models?

I have seen pics of the part so I know what it looks like, could it be behind the guage cluster- not visible from below?

Please help me if you have been through this on a 3G Carbed vehicle. :violin:

Thanks - Steve -n- Las Vegas
p.s. it is 122 degrees here so i'm a little grouchy

sbeasley
07-18-2009, 09:57 AM
The main relay looks like this:

It is mounted on the driver's side outside wall of the car (not the firewall but the side wall). It is behind the fuse block above the cruise control box and below or to the side of the antenna motor. At the very least, remove its mounting bolt because it's a real exercise in contortion to get to it with the dash in.

Mine must be in a different spot, I'm going to start tracing wires,

sbeasley
07-18-2009, 10:11 AM
Maybe I'm too big to see this damn thing. <I'm 6'-2" 220lbs>

It is getting hot here, I need some help before my ass gets 2nd degree burns.

Funny thing is there appears to be no more wire harnesses in the vicinity of where it should be except the large bundle of wires heading up the firewall towards the engine bay.

import racer
07-18-2009, 10:25 AM
You have to have fuel injection to have a main relay,if your carbed you have a cut off relay.It's on the back of the fuse panel under the dash.It's a grey square unit,

sbeasley
07-18-2009, 10:53 AM
OK that grey Shindengen plug in unit from the fuse box, I had removed it and the car started and ran so I had kept looking. I tried it again after your reply and it cranked and ran without the grey box, but I just needed to wait for all of the fuel to be used from the carb.

I have opened the grey unit and pulled the circuit board and all soldier looks fine to the naked eye. Should i melt / re soldier each spot just in case?

My car is starting to die in this extreme heat wave we are having here in Vegas. It cranks and runs fine when it is cooler outside but will not crank like the fuel pump isnt working when the temps get in 120's.

thanks

import racer
07-18-2009, 03:41 PM
just try another relay from the j/y.