PDA

View Full Version : EGR removal

import racer
07-18-2009, 03:44 PM
If i block of the egr can i remove the tube on the intake to exhaust manifold and weld it shut.

fijisac
07-18-2009, 03:58 PM
well yes u can do that but u will have to weld both sides up (intake and exhaust sides) and you will have a lot of NOx when you go for the emissions test.

1987AccordLx-i
07-24-2009, 11:38 AM
you can fab up a plate to cover the egr holes... i think someone did that here

import racer
07-25-2009, 03:04 PM
Yeah I'm gonna make a block off plate for egr,do i need to keep it pluged in or will i get a cel code w/o it.I already welded the intake pipe shut,gonna do the same to the exhaust mani later.

1987AccordLx-i
07-25-2009, 03:36 PM
Yeah I'm gonna make a block off plate for egr,do i need to keep it pluged in or will i get a cel code w/o it.I already welded the intake pipe shut,gonna do the same to the exhaust mani later.

depends... do you still have the vac line hooked up? if so then youll get away with just leaving it plugged in.. but if the vac lines off then youll get a code..

MessyHonda
07-25-2009, 06:16 PM
i just pluged it where it comes off the manifold and left it plugged in till i get my b16 mani ready

import racer
07-26-2009, 08:55 AM
I'd like to do a B-series intake but not sure how everything hooks up,so B-series don't have EGR on them.

MessyHonda
07-27-2009, 12:36 AM
yeah...when you convert to obd1 you cant use egr anymore

import racer
07-27-2009, 01:33 PM
Converting to obd1 is to expensive for me .

mushroom_toy
07-27-2009, 02:25 PM
depends... do you still have the vac line hooked up? if so then youll get away with just leaving it plugged in.. but if the vac lines off then youll get a code..

I nor Tim get a code.

1987AccordLx-i
07-27-2009, 11:26 PM
I nor Tim get a code.

oh wow.. thought the lift sensor would have thrown a code..

shawn
09-10-2009, 10:08 AM
my pgm-fi light comes on with 12 blinks under the seat. I blew air into the egr valve and the engine shut off. so it seems to be working. but for some reason this light comes on after about 5 min of driving. I don't know what to do. is the egr sensor located in the egr vavle because according to the codes post 12 blinks means egr sensor???

Rendon LX-i
09-10-2009, 11:32 AM
o shit another wa member.....TIGHT. is your egr connected still... your prolly have a bad valve or a vac leak.

ecogabriel
09-10-2009, 12:35 PM
my pgm-fi light comes on with 12 blinks under the seat. I blew air into the egr valve and the engine shut off. so it seems to be working. but for some reason this light comes on after about 5 min of driving. I don't know what to do. is the egr sensor located in the egr vavle because according to the codes post 12 blinks means egr sensor???

If you draw vacuum from the EGR it will open and kill the engine. Our EGR valves have two parts to check; one is vacuum, the other is the sensor. If the sensor on top of the valve is defective the ECU cannot "see" the amount of exhaust gas to inject in the intake (it cannot sense how much to open/close the valve) so it sets the code.

EGR valve do not work all the time; it does not work under idle conditions or sustained speed. It works under acceleration so it may take a few minutes for the code to be set. All of that happened to my car and the sensor was dead. you have to replace the whole valve though.

Dr_Snooz
09-10-2009, 07:52 PM
There's a very good troubleshooting procedure in the manual available here (http://honda.roadpwnage.com/manuals/pages/usdm-accord-1989-full.php).