PDA

View Full Version : need help setting timing after cam got spun

ekoms
07-18-2009, 07:35 PM
*UPDATE*
after resetting the timing 8 times today & after installing another new Tbelt & tensioner, I finally got it set perfect like below. "T" on the flywheel, "up" on the cam is up, & the dizzies aimed @ #1 on the cap. Im in the process of putting in a new clutch & tranny seals, new axles, new front control arms, I got these all installed today & a new PS rack going in tomorrow :) so we'll see if she still backfires & how good she runs once I get her back on the road in the next few days. but the timing is finally set correctly.

well today I finally got around to changing my timing belt on my 82 & I guess somehow the cam gear got spun alittle & would not fire afterwards. so I popped off the tbelt, spun the crank to the T mark on the flywheel & spun the cam to #1 with the up mark up & the left dot aligned with the arrow. with all the marks lined up I put the belt back on & crank her over. she fires right up easier than ever & has more power, but now I cant adjust the timing via distributor. the marks on the flywheel " -2 16 +2 " are not there any more. I need to set it to +2 after 16 @ 750 rpm. I know the firing order is 1342, looking @ the rotor from in the cab on passenger side its like

----------------------------front----------------
-----------camgear / valvecover--1 2-----------
----------------------------------3 4-----------
---------------------------firewall---------------

Im stumped, any1 have an FSM for this car ?

thanks.

ekoms
07-19-2009, 07:40 AM
well since this car is my DD I had to take the chance & I ran it last night for work. I did great, idles smoother & has even more power than before. there are some hills in my area that I couldn't use 3rd or 4th gears & I could last night. I'm very happy with the power but I'm alittle afraid I might have caused damage to the valves. I read on here that older Honda's are non interference engines. is this true, does my ek1 engine fall into the category ? the only thing I can think of is I have the wrong cylinder @ TDC, which is why the marks aren't showing up with #1.

please help !

Dr_Snooz
07-19-2009, 01:37 PM
You might be timing it wrong. If you had the crank and cam at TDC both before and after you installed the belt (they like to move while you're pulling on the belt), then you are probably not setting the timing correctly. You might need to remove a vacuum line from the dizzie or something. I used to have the FSM, but it got sold along with the car years ago. Sorry.

If the engine is smooth, responsive and powerful, then I wouldn't worry about the valves. If it's more powerful than before, I would worry about being overly advanced. Just listen for pinging and use premium octane until you get it sorted.

ekoms
07-19-2009, 01:53 PM
thanks Dr Snooz, I just read online that the distributor should be like this (below). does this seam right or the way my car currently is (above in post #1)

-----------camgear / valvecover--4 3-----------
----------------------------------2 1-----------

since I don't have my manual for this car yet (still waiting) I don't know where #1 should be. towards the front or towards the firewall

ekoms
07-19-2009, 03:39 PM
-----------camgear / valvecover--4 3-----------
--------------------------------------2 1-----------

ok I got I timed right :) I spun the distributor 180, so #1 faced the firewall like above & the marks were there so I could time it right. it still runs great & has the same amount of power as last night ! but Its still not truly set right.

ekoms
08-23-2009, 11:17 AM
delete please.

2oodoor
08-23-2009, 02:14 PM
delete? no no, this is very usefull to someone with the same issue. It happens all the time even with pros. It is easy to get turned around sometimes.

glad you got it squared away

ekoms
08-23-2009, 02:33 PM
delete? no no, this is very usefull to someone with the same issue. It happens all the time even with pros. It is easy to get turned around sometimes.

glad you got it squared away

ok sorry, didnt know if it would be useful & wasn't wanting to waste board space.

2ndGenGuy
08-23-2009, 09:42 PM
Yeah, good info not to delete. It's hardly redundant on here, and if it were, sometimes it needs to get posted again just so it comes up in a different search.

lostforawhile
08-23-2009, 09:55 PM
this ought to be a sticky could really help someone.