PDA

View Full Version : A/C COMPRESSOR: '88 Accord LXi Coupe

RAYThOM
07-20-2009, 11:19 AM
I need to replace the above compressor. I'm on a fixed SSD income so "inexpensive" (not cheap) is the operative word. There are so many parts websites with so may different prices out there it's hard to sort out good from the bad. So, do I buy from one of these sites, or maybe eBay, or NAPA or PepBoys perhaps? Can I find quality parts at the local recyclers? What can you tell me? Thanks. Ray

Bluntman
07-20-2009, 11:51 AM
As far as I am concerned Napa is the best for remanufactured parts. There rebuilders are quality. They are a bit more expensive than the autozones, Pepboys etc. But if it is remanufactured parts that is all I use ( you get what you pay for).

Bluntman
07-20-2009, 12:00 PM
Here is a link to Napa prices. They have repair kits etc. The new comp. may be out of your budget, but this site gives you the retail Napa prices on things.
http://www.dmauto.com/web/dmauto/Catalog/NAPA_ECAT/1988/Honda+++++++++++++++++++++++++/Accord++++++++++++++++++++++++/2.0+L+1955+CC+L4++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++/12/
And NAPA gives 10% discount to AAA members, and most of the time they will not ask to see your card, they do not need the card, just say you are a member, they should just go with that.

Dr_Snooz
07-20-2009, 07:45 PM
I second the vote for Napa. Their stuff is always tip-top. Avoid Kragen, Autozone and Pep Boys. They are all about cheap and their stuff will fail at very bad times.

Another option is to go to a site like rockauto.com or drivewire.com and look for rebuilt parts from the OEM manufacturer (in this case, Nippondenso). You're sure to get a very well built compressor and your only worry is price.

If money is a real concern then get down to the junkyard. Most of what's there is worn out and/or broken, but occasionally you can find a gem. You need to know what to look for and what to avoid, but a smoking good deal is entirely possible. What's more, most yards let you buy a warranty so if you do end up with something that doesn't work, you can take it back in 30 days and get another. Let us know what you find and if you have any questions or problems as you look.

One question I would ask though is how you know it's the compressor. Was that a diagnosis made by a reputable shop or someone looking to pay his newly reset option ARM mortgage payment with your car?

Welcome to the board by the way.

:welcome:

lostforawhile
07-20-2009, 08:57 PM
If you go to a yard, you need to find a compressor thats in a system that still has pressure, if it lost it's charge,and has been sitting,the system is probably full of moisture, and the compressor junk. don't get the cooler aire i thought they might work,but everyone says they suck.