PDA

View Full Version : Protecting brake line?

nfs480
07-25-2009, 03:04 PM
I'm in the middle of replacing the front brake rotors, calipers and pads and in the process of removing the caliper bracket mounting bolts the threads stripped completely off. The local Honda dealer won't have replacements for me until tuesday and i'm a bit worried about leaving the brake hose disconnected for that long. Is there anything I should do to protect or seal it off (the hose to the caliper).

MessyHonda
07-25-2009, 06:15 PM
should be fine just bleed the lines when you get the calipers installed

russiankid
07-25-2009, 06:22 PM
You will have to bleed the lines like Messy said. If any moisture or anything gets in there, it will be bled out. I doubt any critter or something of that nature will get up in there as it will kill it.

turabaka
07-25-2009, 06:51 PM
If you're worried you can buy caps that go in the hose at Autozone. They're usually sitting behind the counter so just ask for them.

Dr_Snooz
07-25-2009, 07:50 PM
I'd be curious to know how you stripped those out. Those are pretty heavy duty bolts.

nfs480
07-25-2009, 08:40 PM
They were in there really tight. I literally stood on my breaker bar to break them loose, and when I finally got them out, they were smooth, no threads of any kind. I put a ziplock baggy around the brake line just to be safe and I was planning on flushing all of my brake fluid to begin with so I guess I should be fine. I actually went out and bought an air compressor and impact wrench after this since i'm tired of hurting myself with super tight bolts like these, gotta love living in a state with road salt.

russiankid
07-26-2009, 08:13 AM
Get new brake lines too. I replace all of the brake lines and crush washers when I ripped my brakes apart.

Dr_Snooz
07-26-2009, 08:29 AM
They were in there really tight. I literally stood on my breaker bar to break them loose, and when I finally got them out, they were smooth, no threads of any kind. I put a ziplock baggy around the brake line just to be safe and I was planning on flushing all of my brake fluid to begin with so I guess I should be fine. I actually went out and bought an air compressor and impact wrench after this since i'm tired of hurting myself with super tight bolts like these, gotta love living in a state with road salt.

Heavy. Does PB Blaster not work for you? If you zip tie those baggies off, you should be fine.

nfs480
07-26-2009, 01:53 PM
I sprayed them every day with PBBlaster for a week in advance, and they were still that tight.

nfs480
07-28-2009, 06:34 PM
ok, job is done. I've got new calipers, pads, and rotors on the front of the 3g.

markmdz89hatch
07-29-2009, 07:51 AM
Phil, did you have to chase out the tapping for the bolts on the calipers bracket? ...or did you just replace the bracket along with the calipers?

nfs480
07-29-2009, 08:45 AM
I'm assuming you're talking to me, but my name is Paul, not Phil. I replaced the bracket along with the calipers, I had purchased semi-loaded reman calipers from O'Reilly auto parts that included the hardware. Then I bought the pads from Majestic Honda.

markmdz89hatch
07-29-2009, 08:52 AM
I'm assuming you're talking to me, but my name is Paul, not Phil. I replaced the bracket along with the calipers, I had purchased semi-loaded reman calipers from O'Reilly auto parts that included the hardware. Then I bought the pads from Majestic Honda.

Sorry Paul, I got your name confused with someone else (I have no idea how though, now that I think of it). Anyway, thanks for the info on the calipers.

Just curious though, why did you opt for pads from Majestic instead of just getting them from O'Reilly as well?

carotman
07-29-2009, 11:42 AM
I had those threads stripped too on my civic. It's a common problem over here in Canada.

markmdz89hatch
07-29-2009, 12:28 PM
I had those threads stripped too on my civic. It's a common problem over here in Canada.

i just threw up in my mouth a lil bit... ...you have a craptasterrific-civic? haha, j/k.

2drSE-i
07-29-2009, 12:47 PM
i just threw up in my mouth a lil bit... ...you have a craptasterrific-civic? haha, j/k.

He lives in canada, hes gotta have a crappy car to drive in the winter ;)

Oh and you were thinking of nswst8, whos name is Phil.

nfs480
07-29-2009, 09:42 PM
Sorry Paul, I got your name confused with someone else (I have no idea how though, now that I think of it). Anyway, thanks for the info on the calipers.

Just curious though, why did you opt for pads from Majestic instead of just getting them from O'Reilly as well?

I had originally purchased the pads and rotors from Majestic before I had decided to replace the calipers, I usually just use Genuine Honda parts when I can but since they didn't have calipers available anymore I just bought some from O'reilly's, but I think in the future i'll be buying them from there.

russiankid
07-29-2009, 11:25 PM
When I was going to replace my calipers with reman ones, one the boots was a little twisted on the reman one. Pulling the caliper apart to fix it revealed that the piston had huge scores in it that were filled....so I opted to just rebuilding my current ones that were perfectly fine.