PDA

View Full Version : Moon Roof

Immeraufdemhund
10-02-2002, 05:19 AM
I was thinking about taking a moon roof out of a 88 accord, cutting a hole in my roof and putting it in. I was wondering if the wires are already up there, or if i need to run them. If i have to run them were do i run them through? It's going to take me some time to get everything from the junkyard, but i'll keep peeps posted. If you know that it is impossible for me to do this without having a CERTIFIED person do it....LET ME KNOW!

Mike's89AccordLX
10-02-2002, 05:49 AM
I was thinking about doing the same thing with my 89 accord lx. I want a sunroof really bad.

ACCORD EX
10-02-2002, 06:31 AM
don't get a sunroof ! they just cause rust ! :(

MIKE

Immeraufdemhund
10-02-2002, 06:22 PM
even if installed properly? and for me i'm not going to worry about rust because i have friends who can paint. and two I'm not going to have this car but for a couple more years. After that i'm either going to sell it or fix it up. I'd prefer the fix it up, but i dont know if i'll have the time.

Mike's89AccordLX
01-04-2003, 02:32 AM
I still want a sunroof but am not sure on the installation.

ACCORD EX
01-04-2003, 06:24 AM
i don't think it's cool ! i wish i didn't have it ! i have a stock one and there is rust startin there ! damn ! :( :crying:

MIKE

88' Accord Ltd
01-04-2003, 11:47 AM
Yah you have some rust there but then thats after how many years? you gotta expect some.

87accordlxi
01-05-2003, 02:21 AM
Originally posted by Immeraufdemhund
even if installed properly? and for me i'm not going to worry about rust because i have friends who can paint.

doesnt matter. any place where water can get in and sit is prone to rust. i have a factory sunroof and it is rusting, which causes leaks and thus more rust. and aftermarket jobs, are no better than factory. i ended up sealing mine up with silicone.

Mike's89AccordLX
01-05-2003, 02:29 AM
Well I guess I won't get one then. I will just spend the money elsewhere on the car.

socal3rdgen
01-05-2003, 02:35 AM
well just think of this. do you know that nice shiny headliner you got there. well once you put a sunroof in it doesnt fit right. they put a POS thin ass-fabric as a headliner. so i found a headliner last week and it is a bitch to put in. and plus you have to do modifications. and it still has some wrong parts.

Mike's89AccordLX
01-05-2003, 02:45 AM
well i'm definetely not getting one now. I like my headliner

AccordEpicenter
01-05-2003, 07:17 PM
I sincerely doubt that you could install a factory roof where there is none without it looking like garbage and creating an insane amount of work. An aftermarket one is easier (just cut a hole and fit it) but they ALWAYS LEAK, trust me ive had 2 of em. The aftermarket one on my accord coupe leaked soo badly mold started growing inbetween the seats from all the moisture. Also if youve ever seen the factory honda set up, its not just a hole, its about 2 or 3 layers of metal and a fancy track/motor and glass set up, and it also is plumbed for drain lines at the corner of the glass... i think itd be way too complex to be worth it to make it work right

87accordlxi
01-06-2003, 09:09 AM
when the glass is closed, it is NOT completely watertight. thats why the drain holes are there. but not every drop of water gets drained out, so it sits. its no big deal at first, but after 10-12 years you start to see rust. it's just inherent in the design. and epicenter is right, the roof structure is very different on sunroof-equipped accords

Immeraufdemhund
01-06-2003, 03:55 PM
Say you welded on some stuff to make it the same as factory. I was talking to honda the other day and they told me that they send their cars to a place to have them put in. I know it would be a lot of work, most work on our cars is. I'm thinking that since i can weld and plumb, that i might be able to do it.

dosh8er
01-06-2003, 11:08 PM
hrm.. strange.. I have no rust problems in my roof's metal... is that impossible.. i think not.. but the paint on the top is a nice crappy faded color/splotch.

Sun roofs are more hassle than the pleasure, especially if you personally install it. And everybody's right, they DO leak A LOT.

But i don't have any signs of rust... could someone tell me where THEIR'S has started to rust? I'm rather intrigued.

Jareds 89 LX-i
01-06-2003, 11:49 PM
Mine has no rust at all anywhere in the sunroof area (and yes, I've looked all around there with a flashlight), and it even spent 13 years in road salt :( . But no rust at all....it does leak though. I think my rear drain lines are plugged

maka_RTH
01-07-2003, 12:14 AM
i don't know about rust, but on both my current accord and on my '87 i loved my sunroof, and they didn't leak either ;) i guess i've always been lucky

AccordEpicenter
01-07-2003, 09:32 AM
i have no sign of rust in mine and i live near Buffalo and they use tons of salt on the roads. My last accord didnt have rust in the moonroof either.

slammedLXI
01-10-2003, 11:04 AM
when i bought my car the sunroof was already sealed with silicone, im guessing thats why (rust which led to leaking)

MrBen
01-31-2003, 07:18 PM
Mines an aftermarket moonroof installed shortly after the car was bought in 86 and no rust.

Mike's89AccordLX
01-31-2003, 08:08 PM
I think I will ask some people I know at the tech college here in town. I'm going to be doing the mechanic program and maybe I could find someone to do it for me for cheaper.