PDA

View Full Version : 3g Service Bulletin . Ignition Question

kukerdan
07-26-2009, 04:00 PM
Hey,

I was in my shop today for a valve adjustment and brakes.

I was checking AllData for the valve clearances, and saw the service bulletin section. I was happy to see our cars really didnt have any, some stupid cosmetic ones. But I saw one about the ignition. I def have this symtpon.
When the car is cold, and I accell, there is hesitation maybe even missing when i go from 1-2.5k rpm. The fix involved a new ignitor, and new spark plugs, and maybe something else...

Can I just pick up a sweet MSD igniton for this car? Or at least a compatible msd/accell ignition coil ? Will it Help ?

Thanks

itzdave
07-27-2009, 03:35 PM
i dunno about installing all of that stuff. but i have an msd blaster 2 coil and its pretty nice...

LX-incredible
07-27-2009, 04:58 PM
Stock ignition is more than sufficient for most builds. Ensure it is in working order and look elsewhere if the problem still exists.

Ichiban
07-27-2009, 05:02 PM
Stock ignition is more than sufficient for most builds. Ensure it is in working order and look elsewhere if the problem still exists.

Yeah, what about the TSB though?

2drSE-i
07-27-2009, 05:23 PM
Alldata is awesome huh? Step by step walkthrough on EVERYTHING. Too bad its 130 a month for most people, unless you have friends ^_^

MessyHonda
07-28-2009, 12:06 AM
i have a msd set up and for the money...other things could make you more power

lostforawhile
07-28-2009, 06:38 AM
I forgot to ask which ignitor are you talking about? some of them had issues factory, I know the aftermarket ignitors are crap,i went through two from nappa in short order, i replaced it with a used factory one eventually. I have the carbed Hitachi one. Most people who build Hondas use the factory ignitions believe it or not, but a few had issues like ours,figures. One thing i know is the ignitor from the 81-83 civic will drop right into the carbed hitachi dizzy, ran one for a long time, another thing i discovered, that ignitor on the civic,has a warning about using heat sink grease between it and the metal bottom of the dizzy case,to insure heat transfer, same ignitor on our cars, it's on two metal posts with no heat sink grease,figure that one out. I do want an MSD eventually,but because i want the rev limiter, not just for power, Summit racing also has a good set of ignitions very close to the MSD setup, but they have more features for less money. One feature i really like,they will operate at a much lower voltage, so if you have an electrical system failure,they will run longer before quitting,might be enough to get you home.