PDA

View Full Version : changing auto trans fluid help

Mantis88LX
10-02-2002, 06:22 AM
ok so is it good to change the trans fluid? i heard some stories that auto trans fluid is a detertion and if im having slippage problems and i change it then it will get worse?? :wtf:

anyways, so were is the drain pan and filter located? ot is there just a drain plug?

how man bottles do i need to put back in after draining, drain bolt/ pan

thanx

DBMaster
10-02-2002, 07:07 AM
There is just a drain plug. It is a bolt with a square hole in the middle at the bottom of the transaxle case facing the passenger side front wheel. You simply use a 3/8" ratchet handle with no socket to remove it. You clean any debris from the end of the plug (it has a magnet in it) and put it back in after draining. I have reused the metal washer for 13 years now with no leakage so don't worry about replacing it.

I pull my car up on ramps when I do the job and it takes exactly three quarts of fluid to fill it back up. There is no pan and the filter screen is internal which does not allow for changing.

I think if I had thought about this when the car was new I would have installed an inline spin on filter in one of the cooler lines, but I guess there's no point in doing it now.

Mantis88LX
10-02-2002, 07:10 AM
3 guarts fills it back up to the normal level?

YK86
10-02-2002, 07:25 AM
3 quarts is about right. I used to have to add alittle more so I always grab 4 bottles of Honda ATF (make sure you use Honda!!). And there isn't a filter or pan but you do have to clean the drain plug which is also a magnet that collects all the fine metal shavings.