PDA

View Full Version : struts

jasonrebellion
07-27-2009, 07:28 PM
would it make my car handle bad if I only replaced the front struts and not the rear dampers? It seems like only my front end is bad and it bounces a lot and if i hit a big enough bump the tire actually scrubs the fender well.....so i figured i'd just replace the front 2 and repalce the coil spring.....anybody got any experience with this? Before I bought the car it sat for 2 years so i figured the weight of the front end and the heat and just sittting made the seals brittle and wear out....the back seems to be fine though...any help would be appreciated

nfs480
07-27-2009, 07:32 PM
You should be fine just replacing the fronts, I do know you're supposed to replace them in pairs so i'd say you're ok leaving the rears.

jasonrebellion
07-27-2009, 09:55 PM
I guess if it rides funny I'll do the rears..can't be any worse than it is now....to get to the rear upper bolts, don't you have to let the seat down? Mine has the key thingie and I don't have a master key to the car, only the valet key i'd guess you'd call it...so i can't open trunk, or lock glove box with my key or get the seats to come down

AZmike
07-28-2009, 05:02 AM
There is a plastic handle in the trunk to fold down the seat back that doesn't require a key.

If your springs are not rusted severely or broken there is no need to replace them. The factory service manual lists standard ride height if you're concerned that they have compressed over time--it's not common. Replacing just the front shocks only should be ok.

jasonrebellion
07-28-2009, 10:57 AM
thanks for the info mike, I'll have to look that up, there's no rust and they're not broken..so that'll save me about 70 bucks...