PDA

View Full Version : Did an oil analysis- high lead & silicon

w261w261
07-30-2009, 06:30 AM
For the first time in my life, I sent off some oil to an oil analysis company. All was generally well with my 220,000 mile motor, but there was a somewhat elevated level of silicon and lead. Here's what the comment field read:

<< Lead and silicon both read mildly high in this sample. Lead may show a little extra wear at the bearings, while the silicon may show a dirty air filter, and that could be influencing the bearing wear. A fresh air filter might bring both of these levels down to average levels. Otherwise your Honda looks good. Insolubles (oil oxidation due to heat and use) were low at 0.4%. No gas or coolant was found. The universal averages show normal wear after about 3,500 miles use on the oil. Suggest resampling this engine after another 3000 miles. Lead and silicon should improve >>

My air filter is a K&N, which a few months ago I took out and re-oiled with K&N oil per the instructions.

I have always wondered about the K&N statements that their filters allow increased power while maintaining the same level of filtration as paper filters. I don't know how significant the elevated levels of lead and silicon actually are (lead was 7 against a "universal average" of 3, and silicon was 18 vs. an average of 10.

I may take out the K&N, replace it with paper, then retest next oil change. Perhaps it's in my mind, but I did think I got a bit extra power after I put in the K&N, which I wouldn't be happy losing.

Comments?

Oldblueaccord
07-30-2009, 06:40 AM
I run a KN cone on my TB. Have for years. I did more cuz I am cheap and in the long run saved me alot compared to buying the EFI filter. I don't think they filter as good esp when oiled new. I have read that the dirt trapped on the filter helps filter the incoming air so maybe let it run in some more and see what your numbers are.

What oil brand and weight do you run ?

wp

lostforawhile
07-30-2009, 06:51 AM
they have tested these filters and it's been shown they increase air flow at the expense of filtration, not just K&N but a lot of aftermarket filters. putting oiled foam in the 86 for the SU's little more work to clean more often,but much better filtration. silicon is the result of sand in dirt thats been ingested into your engine.

lostforawhile
07-30-2009, 06:53 AM
as far as the lead,have you added any fuel additives? some of them contain lead,which will show up in the oil.

w261w261
07-30-2009, 07:10 AM
as far as the lead,have you added any fuel additives? some of them contain lead,which will show up in the oil.

I throw in a bottle of Techron occasionally, that's all. I can't remember if I used one over this last oil change interval. As far as what kind of oil I use, it's 10w-30 dino, varying, but always a major brand.

I wonder if the increase in silicon is meaningful in terms of engine life? I've had the K&N in for probably 50k miles at least.

lostforawhile
07-30-2009, 10:27 AM
I throw in a bottle of Techron occasionally, that's all. I can't remember if I used one over this last oil change interval. As far as what kind of oil I use, it's 10w-30 dino, varying, but always a major brand.

I wonder if the increase in silicon is meaningful in terms of engine life? I've had the K&N in for probably 50k miles at least.
silicon means dirt in the engine, so i'm sure it's affected life.

Civic Accord Honda
07-30-2009, 11:11 AM
oh god i dont want to know what kind of results the civic would have...:lol: when i took my old oil filter apart it was clogged in metal shavings O_O......

but i think you have nothing to worry about just maybe try cleaning the filter again

DBMaster
07-30-2009, 02:54 PM
I used one of those Amsoil "lifetime" foam filters for several years when the car was much newer. I found it to be a PITA when it was time to clean and re-oil it. I went back to paper filters when the foam started deteriorating. Whatever benefit there is to the "better airflow" from these filters was not noticed by me in power or fuel economy so I decided to stick with the throwaway filters. I replace them every 30K miles and they cost $10-15. I think we all get wrapped up too much in the small stuff.

lostforawhile
07-30-2009, 03:00 PM
I used one of those Amsoil "lifetime" foam filters for several years when the car was much newer. I found it to be a PITA when it was time to clean and re-oil it. I went back to paper filters when the foam started deteriorating. Whatever benefit there is to the "better airflow" from these filters was not noticed by me in power or fuel economy so I decided to stick with the throwaway filters. I replace them every 30K miles and they cost $10-15. I think we all get wrapped up too much in the small stuff.well i don't have much choice, i have to cut a couple of those down to fit in my air cleaners

paul
08-02-2009, 06:32 AM
What are your driving habits like (e.g. lots of high rpms, short trips etc)?