PDA

View Full Version : 1989 accord lxi tranmission options

Rxracer
07-30-2009, 11:58 AM
Ok, simple qeustion for all the gurus here, Tranny went out in my co-workers 89 lxi, its a FI and Auto,
what options do i have for the trans?
looking to fix it for cheap for him, is there any other trans i can use that are the same but in different modles? some preludes maybe? Easy to source and cheap.
please let me know
thanks
Rob

Joay
07-30-2009, 12:31 PM
2G Prelude (84-87) will bolt up, although those are probably at least as difficult to find, if not more so, than another Accord.
Also don't know if you can use carbureted transmission.

Rxracer
07-30-2009, 12:57 PM
by chance does anyone know what the trans code is on the 89 lxi? im not 100% sure on what tranny it is, if its a 4 speed or a 5 speed or what. so any info on this would be a great help.
thanks
Rob

MessyHonda
07-30-2009, 02:18 PM
any 86-89 accord auto tranny will work...the carburated models came with a higher gear

russiankid
07-30-2009, 02:56 PM
Its a 4-speed.

danny nr crew
07-30-2009, 03:06 PM
wait wait wait so any 2gee prelude trannys bolt up to ours?????
wat do u get out of it?
also would u have to change anything to make it work?

Rxracer
07-30-2009, 03:12 PM
So would i need to swap the tranny ECU if i got one out of a carb model or an older one?

BTW you guys are great help, some of the best help i have had on any board!

Rob

ecogabriel
07-30-2009, 03:34 PM
Carb ECU is different from FI ECU. Besides, the transmission is not electronically-controlled so it does not have an ECU.
So besides being geared differently (which it won't prevent it from working) there is no problem in using any 86-89 transmission

russiankid
07-30-2009, 04:00 PM
On our auto transmission, you just have the gear selector cable, transmission cooler lines, reverse switch wiring, and the cable running to the throttle to control downshifts/upshifts.

Rxracer
07-30-2009, 04:57 PM
Wow guys thanks for all the info.
Sounds pretty simple. I have changed the trans in my 92 civic hb about 7 times. So I should be able to do this no problem. Any tips for removal and install. Thanks
Rob

Joay
07-30-2009, 05:40 PM
wait wait wait so any 2gee prelude trannys bolt up to ours?????
wat do u get out of it?
also would u have to change anything to make it work?
If you use the 1.8 transmission you have to use the Prelude clutch & flywheel because the bellhousing is smaller, but that's it.

russiankid
07-30-2009, 05:52 PM
Wow guys thanks for all the info.
Sounds pretty simple. I have changed the trans in my 92 civic hb about 7 times. So I should be able to do this no problem. Any tips for removal and install. Thanks
Rob

Make sure to prop the engine up using a jackstand on the oil pan. Pop the lower ball joints on both sides along with the tie rods. Drain transmission and then pop the axles out. On the passenger side, you can pull the knuckle out far enough to tuck the axle against the torsion bar so its out of the way. For the drivers side, swing the knuckle out and the axle will rest on the exhaust and support the knuckle on a jackstand. Then,remove all the connectors,linkages,mounts, and slowly lower the trans.

Forgot to mention you will need to undo the pink forks from the control arms...these bolts may be stuck which would require you to cut them off and get new bushings/bolts.

Rxracer
07-30-2009, 06:31 PM
You all know this car is an auto right? How bad are the tourqe converter bolts? Sounds slot like working ony old hatch. Do the accords have a transmission cooler?
Thanks
Rob

rc87
07-30-2009, 07:05 PM
RX Racer:
Re oil cooler - 87 LXi does - so I assume 89 would also - it's hoses not metal line oil cooler, so no big. Good time to replace the hoses if needed (oil rated hose of course).

I changed the torque converter on an 85 - no big deal. Auto tranny is light enough for one person to manhandle around. Just get the car up high and safe so you have room to work. You will want to pull srarter to and be sure to check condition of bendix gear before reinstalling-you don't want to do this twice (starter ring gear is on converter with auto tranny).

ecogabriel
08-16-2009, 01:31 PM
RX Racer:
Re oil cooler - 87 LXi does - so I assume 89 would also - it's hoses not metal line oil cooler, so no big. Good time to replace the hoses if needed (oil rated hose of course).

I changed the torque converter on an 85 - no big deal. Auto tranny is light enough for one person to manhandle around. Just get the car up high and safe so you have room to work. You will want to pull srarter to and be sure to check condition of bendix gear before reinstalling-you don't want to do this twice (starter ring gear is on converter with auto tranny).

Did you have a problem with the starter ring or with the converter itself?
If the problem was the converter do you remember the kind of problem it had?
Thanks!