PDA

View Full Version : how do I replace my rear wheel bearing?

POS carb
07-31-2009, 06:53 AM
are these units pressed in?
Are there any tools to do the job with the suspension arm still on the car?

lostforawhile
07-31-2009, 08:11 AM
are these units pressed in?
Are there any tools to do the job with the suspension arm still on the car?you don't, you buy a hub, new or used with the bearing already in it,they don't come out, they are simple to replace, drive the staking out of the nut in the center of the hub, should do this with the car on the ground, break that nut loose,just like the front,it's the same nut, now jack up the car and take off the wheel, remove the brake drum, unscrew the nut in the middle of the hub, pull off the hub, put the new one on and reverse the process. make sure to stake the new one after you torque it down. it's really easy the brake parts stay on the car other then the drum, they are all attached to the backing plate, and the hub sits over it. there is a thick washer over the hub under the nut,make sure you put it back in the right place, i've changed them in fifteen minutes on the side of the road before.

markmdz89hatch
07-31-2009, 08:13 AM
holy crapola. You're still around Eric? haha.

anyway, the rears are real simple to remove/replace. It's the fronts that are a bitch.

For the rears:

Just grab your 32mm spindle socket and a breaker bar, crack the nut free, then crack the lug nuts free, jack up the car, remove the lugs, pull the wheel off, remove the spindle nut, pull off the rear hub assembly (held on by that spindle nut), slide the new one on, thread on and torque up the spindle nut (I would use a new one if you have it), put the wheel back on, drop it and tighten everything back up.

Easy peazy lemon squeezy.

lostforawhile
07-31-2009, 08:16 AM
holy crapola. You're still around Eric? haha.

anyway, the rears are real simple to remove/replace. It's the fronts that are a bitch.

For the rears:

Just grab your 32mm spindle socket and a breaker bar, crack the nut free, then crack the lug nuts free, jack up the car, remove the lugs, pull the wheel off, remove the spindle nut, pull off the rear hub assembly (held on by that spindle nut), slide the new one on, thread on and torque up the spindle nut (I would use a new one if you have it), put the wheel back on, drop it and tighten everything back up.

Easy peazy lemon squeezy.http://www.google.com/images?q=tbn:K__8v4XzQh8RrM::mediamucus.files.word press.com/2009/02/geico-gecko-16.jpg eh mate,don't forget to unstake the nut and restake the new one

lostforawhile
07-31-2009, 08:19 AM
Oh some people will say you can get the bearing out of the hub,don't even try lol, had to machine the race out of one to make an adaptor for machining a wheel, and it was a sob, had to beat the bearing cage out with a sledgehammer