08-01-2009, 02:58 PM
and also i alrdy considered the rotors being warped
already replaced them
still continued to shake
maybe new brake pads
but the pads that are on it now are pretty new

Oldblueaccord
08-01-2009, 03:40 PM
Its worn parts in the front end. tie rods, ball joints, upper control arms all need to be checked out.

Do a search for "Standard front end check" under my name I did a write up I dont have it on this computer. it doesnt cost you anything but time jacking up one side of the car.

wp

ps2man21
08-02-2009, 07:38 AM
thanks;
by the time this is all over with
ill end up replacing everything in the front end
lol
i dont mind
i just need more money (:

lostforawhile
08-02-2009, 07:48 AM
check summit racing for parts they carry moog and you'll be suprised at how cheap they sell this stuff. try to stick with OEM , moog, or nappa brand .try to stay away from autozoned or unadvanced's parts, not worth the money and usually junk.

ps2man21
08-02-2009, 07:56 AM
yea already had to put new cv axels in the car
due to the fact they were clicking like a bitch
then brake rotors when i come across the car shaking while braking
just got 4 new tires yesterday

lol

Dr_Snooz
08-02-2009, 08:15 AM
while driving my accord
on the interstate
i reach speeds of 80mph
when i braked
the car shook violently

not sure whats wrong
any ideas?

LOL, your post looks like some kind of haiku.

"Fallen sick on a journey,
In dreams I run wildly
Over a withered moor."

(http://www.toyomasu.com/haiku/)

You must be an English major. I am too. Welcome!

lostforawhile
08-02-2009, 08:21 AM
yea already had to put new cv axels in the car
due to the fact they were clicking like a bitch
then brake rotors when i come across the car shaking while braking
just got 4 new tires yesterday

lol
alignment? i wouldn't put new tires on until you rebuild the suspension and fix the alignment, the upper control arms will cause wierd camber problems if they are worn out.

ps2man21
08-02-2009, 11:54 AM
well what do you all suggest i do to fix this problem
what should i look at replacing first

ps2man21
08-02-2009, 11:56 AM
and as far a alignment goes
i read somewhere that alignment doesnt cause the car to shake
just to pull in one direction and wear on the tires

the car does pull just a tiny bit left just a tiny bit but nothin i was concerned with right away

lostforawhile
08-02-2009, 02:29 PM
and as far a alignment goes
i read somewhere that alignment doesnt cause the car to shake
just to pull in one direction and wear on the tires

the car does pull just a tiny bit left just a tiny bit but nothin i was concerned with right away
if your toe is screwy or your alignment is messed up,sure the car is going to shake, if it's toed in the car is skipping down the road on the edges of the tire. same with toed out but on a different part of the tire.

SOHC
08-02-2009, 03:40 PM
The rotors or drums are probly warped, just take it into a shop and ask them to resurface them.

Rendon LX-i
08-02-2009, 04:56 PM
if its shaking in the front its not the rear drums....thats like a rare deal with it comes to drums

jack up the front...move well side to side an up and down. if you see any play then you have to replace the joints or tie rods ends either one.....R cars are 23years old or so they going to need some TLC......

Other thing since you replace your rotors and your having the same problem you might have sticky calipers....so it over heats then when you brake there for not releasing when you hard brake....thus wraping em again. common deal.

mephi
08-02-2009, 11:04 PM
LOL, your post looks like some kind of haiku.

"Fallen sick on a journey,
In dreams I run wildly
Over a withered moor."

(http://www.toyomasu.com/haiku/)

You must be an English major. I am too. Welcome!

Yay English Majors!!! What do you do for a living?

Back to the topic at hand, I have had new rotors come warped out of the box. That was an experience I never want to repeat. Nothing like having a simple job go straight to hell. Also check all of the bushings, and every ball joint in the front suspension. Check for movement in the steering rack. Finally look for damage to the major components.

Dr_Snooz
08-03-2009, 05:49 AM
Yay English Majors!!! What do you do for a living?

Back to the topic at hand, I have had new rotors come warped out of the box. That was an experience I never want to repeat. Nothing like having a simple job go straight to hell. Also check all of the bushings, and every ball joint in the front suspension. Check for movement in the steering rack. Finally look for damage to the major components.

Mostly I build spreadsheets oddly enough. ?? The stores like to say they sell rotors that don't need to be turned prior to install but they've obviously never tried them out.

Ichiban
08-03-2009, 09:13 AM
Hah my girlfriend is an English Major. She works for a heavy vehicle registration office.

I make it a rule to open the box at the parts counter and inspect the part before I leave the store with it. I've sent back 3 master cylinders for my car, 1 for my Chev truck and one clutch cylinder for my Toy truck because of stripped threads, right in the store. Maybe for brake rotors I should bring a small lathe and dial indicator? Or a surface plate and feeler gauges?

mephi
08-03-2009, 10:38 AM
Mostly I build spreadsheets oddly enough. ?? The stores like to say they sell rotors that don't need to be turned prior to install but they've obviously never tried them out.

Right now I deliver pizza, but will hopefully be working for the Navy as a mechanic in about a month. Not exactly what I expected when I thought to myself, "I think I'm going to major in English."

About the warped rotors, it is apparently a more common problem than I had thought when I first installed them. Several long time mechanics I have worked with, or who taught me have had similar problems. It is still fairly rare though.

1987AccordLx-i
08-03-2009, 12:15 PM
alignment? i wouldn't put new tires on until you rebuild the suspension and fix the alignment, the upper control arms will cause wierd camber problems if they are worn out.

my left front side has insane negative camber... i was thinking it was the upper ball joint goin out... what would be the problem? please help.. i have to replace the dam tire like every 500 miles

mephi
08-03-2009, 01:05 PM
my left front side has insane negative camber... i was thinking it was the upper ball joint goin out... what would be the problem? please help.. i have to replace the dam tire like every 500 miles

Ball joint(s), bearing failure(you'd probably notice the noise with this one though), bushings on either the upper or lower control arm, or accident damage, bending the arms or body.

ps2man21
08-03-2009, 02:27 PM
hopefully goin this weekend to get some new calipers and take the rotors i just bought back to get them replaced since there still much under warranty

mephi
08-03-2009, 06:49 PM
hopefully goin this weekend to get some new calipers and take the rotors i just bought back to get them replaced since there still much under warranty

You could always just have them turned. They might do it for free...the store I went to did.

Demon1024
08-03-2009, 11:24 PM
+1 on the ball joints upper/lower
check the boots on them. cracked or torn = replace
might not be easy to move around, try using a long bar pried against something to move them. but if the boots are done the joint probly is too

1987AccordLx-i
08-04-2009, 05:43 PM
Ball joint(s), bearing failure(you'd probably notice the noise with this one though), bushings on either the upper or lower control arm, or accident damage, bending the arms or body.
na the bearings dont make noise at all.. and the boots are gone on the upper one.. i can see the joint.. i was thinking on just getting the whole upper arm from the pick-a-part.. worth it?

+1 on the ball joints upper/lower
check the boots on them. cracked or torn = replace
might not be easy to move around, try using a long bar pried against something to move them. but if the boots are done the joint probly is too
is it easy to remove the lower ball joint? i heard its hell

ps2man21
08-04-2009, 06:13 PM
today i decided to hop in the accord and take it down the road to see in what situations it started to shake when i applied brake;
well
for the first couple of miles i didnt have any problems at all
it wasnt until i hit a long road with no stop light that i had a problem
i would reach a speed of about 55 to 65 and apply the brake
and wouldnt you know
shakin like a bitch

i also noticed when i applied the brake without holding the steering wheel
it would sort of jerk to the left

any suggestions

mephi
08-05-2009, 01:05 AM
Sticking caliper and warped rotors? Replace the calipers and have the rotors turned. Also some possibility of tire being out of balance.

ps2man21
08-05-2009, 09:45 AM
yeah thats what i was thinking
soooo
yeah
gonna get right on it
hope it fixes the problem
ill keep you updated

Oldblueaccord
08-06-2009, 05:09 AM
even doh i am on vacation all week I found time to search for you.
Standard front end check:

1: jack up one side of the car until one tire is off the ground. The other side tire must be on the ground. I use the jacking point under the doors.

2: grab the tire in the air at the 3 and 9 o clock postion and shake/rock back and forth. slow at first. You might need someone to help look underneath. This checks tie-rods,steering rack etc. start kinda slow and work your way up a little harder. Your looking for loosness at the joints. Use common sense of course the steering wheel will move or the other tire may move if you shake the shit outta it.

3: Grab the tire 12 and 6 o clock. Rock back and fourth.This checks the wheel bearing and ball joints(upper and lower) and upper links(bushings). There should be no play in the wheel bearings.

4: this check might show ball joints/upper link a little better. Use a pry bar under the tire at the 6 o clock pos. pry up look for slop ,looseness while prying. The upper link ball joint and bushings near the body are what your looking at.

This is your basic "front end check" any good mechanic should know. It works for all makes and models of cars.

wp