PDA

View Full Version : Weber help

86lxiricer
08-04-2009, 01:37 PM
after extensive searching of the forum I have a few questions of the weber install. Where do I plug the vacuum hose from the distributor advance diaphragm into does it connect to the carb? Looks like there are two hoses coming from it which one needs to get pluged and which one needs to get connected? Also I searched for a step by step install for the weber it's the 32/36 and couldn't find one if there is one can someone post a link for it? Thanks for the help

greentee76
08-04-2009, 04:07 PM
Connect the port closest to the engine on the dizzy to manifold vacuum, I used one of the ports on the big Y connector at the very back of the intake manifold. I had it run to the port on the carb originally, but manifold vacuum gave me both better mileage and power.

On edit: Your vehicle info say you have a LXI which would be fuel injected, is this for a different car?

greentee76
08-04-2009, 04:22 PM
This is probably the best writeup we're gonna find: http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38161&highlight=weber+install

86lxiricer
08-04-2009, 05:45 PM
I've quit working on the car today and had a few drinks so bare with me here LOL. What is the dizzy? I used to have an 86 lxi which was really nice lowered 2in and had 17 inch adrs but I put it through a bus stop went to jail all that good stuff no I wasn't drinkiing just young and dumb. Me and my gf purchased this 89 lx

itzdave
08-04-2009, 07:03 PM
dizzy is the distributer. the thing that the spark plug wires go to - not where the spark plugs are...

mephi
08-05-2009, 01:01 AM
You want to plug the vacuum line from the port closest to the distributor body directly to manifold vacuum, so the y port on the very back of the manifold would be best. You are going to need to get an adapter of some kind to get the two different sized nipples to connect though. The one on the back of the manifold is much bigger.

As far as the install goes, get the adapter plate. Since you are using the 32/36 I don't think you need to make any manifold modifications besides filling the coolant port to the carb with some sort of epoxy. Bolt the adapter plate on, make sure there are no butterfly clearance issues, bolt the carb on, and make the linkage work the best way you can. There are several threads on weber linkages floating around. If you need a pic of mine I can get it on here by tomorrow, but I have a 38 so there are some slight differences. Oh, don't forget the choke.

86lxiricer
08-05-2009, 08:50 AM
Ah dizzy that is way easier to type then distributor I like it. Cool thanks for the help guys by the way that link to the step by step was great you guys never cease to amaze me! I'll let you guys know how install went.

86lxiricer
08-07-2009, 10:26 AM
ok so I got the carb off hooked up hose from dizzy to manifold but in the link about the weber install it says to keep the thermovalves. I know one was on the carb the other is on the thermostat housing so where is the other one? I think it was this bolt I took out from back of manifold It had two vacuum line ports and was blue. when I took it out coolant came out is that the other thermovalve? If so where do I hook it up? If I'm wrong on the locations please let me know.

2oodoor
08-07-2009, 10:51 AM
I only used the thermvalves as plugs for the holes they are in to begin with:tongue:

You really can go without using them as vacuum switches and just connect the hose from vaccum to the dizzy. You will need a step down adapter of some sort to go from the larger port to the small hose used for the dizzy advance.

86lxiricer
08-07-2009, 11:33 AM
Ok that's a relief I was going out of my mind trying to figure out how to hook them up.so that is there function vacuum I figured they were an important part of the cooling system or something. One last thing to put me at ease, the control box basically controls the emissions crap right? So just about all those hoses are useless now because the weber eliminates the emissions crap? What's the best thing to do with that air suction valve I removed the black box do I leave it open or find like a block off plate or something?

greentee76
08-07-2009, 03:57 PM
Just block of the air suction valve. I removed mine completely and plugged off the port on the exhaust manifold. I actually ran mine just disconnected for awhile, as long as there isn't vacuum run to it I don't believe it will do anything.

mephi
08-08-2009, 12:50 AM
Ya...Just remove all of that stuff. My black box is removed, my air suction valve is gone, exhaust manifold is plugged with the pipe end welded shut. EGR is also plugged and disabled. I am only running 3 vacuum lines right now. One for brakes, one for dizzy, and one for the evap.

2oodoor
08-08-2009, 01:47 PM
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64982&highlight=clutter+weber

this may be of interest

86lxiricer
08-08-2009, 04:45 PM
another great link thanks again! The weber install is going smoothly just can't wait to tune her up and test drive! I got the coolant port on Mani plugged with quicksteel, capped off vacuum hoses and currently changing rear fuel filter and front fuel filter.

86lxiricer
08-18-2009, 05:17 PM
Finally got car started and wow! You can hear that weber sucking in air. sounds mean as hell! Havnt taking her for a test drive yet got to do regular maintainence like flushing the coolant system and an oil change.So far I am really impressed. Thanks to everyone who helped me out!

Bass Man
08-18-2009, 05:28 PM
I got the rear vacuum hooked up to a T that goes to the vacuum on the back of the carb and that runs to the dizzy. I wonder if that's wrong. I gotta check.