PDA

View Full Version : ...the self proclaimed lip king.

markmdz89hatch
08-06-2009, 06:57 AM
Ok, so at this point I've managed to successfully make a few lips for our front bumpers (both pre [and hatch] and post facelift).

...but NEVER before have I been so lucky to own a Genuine Honda 3G lip.

...now, I am that lucky. The story with this is, the owner (now prior owner) of this purchased it brand spanking new in 1992 from the Honda dealership in Cleveland Heights, OH after the dealership went on a hunt trying to find one. At that point, the dealership informed him that this was the last one in the country. For some reason (and now to my benefit) he never installed it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140337394392&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

http://i.ebayimg.com/17/!B(rS!dQBGk~$(KGrHgoH-CsEjlLlvGm7BKdh!d,Ksg~~_12.JPG

http://i.ebayimg.com/15/!B(rSB0Q!mk~$(KGrHgoH-CsEjlLlvGm7BKdh!keh4!~~_12.JPG

pics of other lips to come. Yeah I know there's a few threads already with these, but I don't think I've put one together of the lips I've personally made.

Tomisimo
08-06-2009, 07:51 AM
lucky you.. now You have the last lip out there, which is as good as a first one..

Joay
08-06-2009, 08:35 AM
Sweet and sour Jesus, is this the one that Tommy keeps flashing around with HONDA embossed on the side? God I want one of those so bad. What a find, brand spanking new.

2ndGenGuy
08-06-2009, 09:10 AM
Holy shit and it's brand spankin' new1 Nice find man!

Nafs Asdf
08-06-2009, 09:54 AM
Wow! How many seconds did it take from finding the listing to clicking the buy it now link? I'm guessing not very many.

Civic Accord Honda
08-06-2009, 10:39 AM
holy shit awesome!!

88LXi68
08-06-2009, 01:55 PM
once again mark, great pick up!

epic1400cs
08-06-2009, 02:45 PM
BN for $50!? I hate you. I paid more than x3 and am still fixing it! No, that's great bargain deal of the century :D

carotman
08-06-2009, 04:00 PM
Wow that's nice.

87roach
08-06-2009, 06:19 PM
fuck me thats nice. its mine but brand new.. god I would love that! can I hate you now? :P

Rendon LX-i
08-06-2009, 08:59 PM
fucking a mark......

LX-incredible
08-06-2009, 11:01 PM
Yup I saw that one, It was up for a day or two. Glad to see someone on here got it.

AccordB20A
08-07-2009, 02:40 AM
ahh been there done that.
http://imagehost.wohdog.sytes.net/honda-accord-photos/accord7.JPG
that pic is so 2005, I remember a few members on here going OOHH and AHHH when they saw it........
shame they dont fit a facelift bumper so i sold mine to nafs asdf

markmdz89hatch
08-07-2009, 06:34 AM

that pic is so 2005, I remember a few members on here going OOHH and AHHH when they saw it........

Yes it is a shame. Which is why I took it upon myself to make a few of my own that do fit it. Pics to come.

frantik
08-07-2009, 08:25 AM
pimp

and teg lips fit facelift bumpers pretty well and are OEM so good enough for me :D

Joay
08-07-2009, 10:21 AM
Yes it is a shame. Which is why I took it upon myself to make a few of my own that do fit it. Pics to come.
:omg: Yes pls.

markmdz89hatch
08-07-2009, 10:58 AM
:omg: Yes pls.

tried to find some and came up empty-handed

The coupe I made a HUGE lip for ended up getting yunked, and I'm not sure if I have any good pics of it. If not, I'll just make another one and post it up.

2drSE-i
08-07-2009, 01:08 PM
Wow mark, 50 bucks too... asshole :kekeke:

AccordB20A
08-07-2009, 01:30 PM
we dont even get those integra lips over here that i know of lol

Hash_man_Se_i
08-07-2009, 03:51 PM
nice find... and only $50, thats a steal!

etvergara23
08-14-2009, 12:57 PM
congrats! I've always wanted that lip....

thegreatdane
08-14-2009, 01:29 PM
oh my fucking god! Mark you bastard!! AAAAHHHH!!! Thanks for not letting us know about that auction :mad: I am never ever speaking to you again!!

nswst8
08-14-2009, 02:57 PM
Mold it. Make a mold that way you can reproduce it for yourself and a few lucky others that can talk you into fabbing one for them.

markmdz89hatch
08-16-2009, 06:27 AM
Mold it. Make a mold that way you can reproduce it for yourself and a few lucky others that can talk you into fabbing one for them.

I intend to. I'm already looking into molding options for it so I can help make this available to others. Maybe I can figure out a way to (once I make the mold) mod one of the repro's to fit the post-facelift bumper one day.

In time in time.

wprocomp
08-21-2009, 09:12 AM
I will give you $200 for it

markmdz89hatch
08-21-2009, 06:11 PM
I will give you $200 for it

Oh how tempted I am to put it up for sale on here for someone to get it. I didn't buy it to sell, or to make any $$ on, but instead just to save it from the hell that someone might have put it through. haha.

...but you know it only fits pre-facelift right?

MessyHonda
08-21-2009, 06:16 PM
wow great deal...did they ever make lips for the 88-89 bumper?

Tomisimo
08-21-2009, 06:37 PM
No Messy,there was one type tho, came om B20 CA3 accords, its a thin lip, like a window trim thin. thats it.. But if TEG lip fit facelift, its as good as an original, as long as Honda staamp is on it.

AccordB20A
08-22-2009, 04:33 AM
yes some facelifts come with a bumper lip thats like only an inch in size tho not big like that one.

Joay
08-22-2009, 07:09 AM
How different are they? Like how hard would it be to...uh, un-retro-fit one of those to an 88/9?

1987AccordLx-i
09-04-2009, 12:27 AM
http://imagehost.wohdog.sytes.net/honda-accord-photos/accord7.JPG

how did you make that lip? will it work with the 88-89 front end? what car did it come off of?

Nafs Asdf
09-04-2009, 01:44 AM
how did you make that lip? will it work with the 88-89 front end? what car did it come off of?

It's mine! no really, that lip is on my car now. It's an original jdm 86-87 3g lip. Will not fit 88-89 models. I think thegreatdane modified one for the facelift bumper, check his posts out.

AccordB20A
09-04-2009, 02:27 AM
indeed at least that car went from one b20a powered car to another :)

markmdz89hatch
09-04-2009, 05:11 AM
It's mine! no really, that lip is on my car now. It's an original jdm 86-87 3g lip. Will not fit 88-89 models. I think thegreatdane modified one for the facelift bumper, check his posts out.

I'm working on that now myself too. I have a few samples of urethane on their way to my house now, and I'll see what is the best material to use to get it as close (as far as rigidity, flexibility, heat/distortion resistance, etc) to the oem lip as possible. That's just the tip of the iceburg though. Once I do that, I need to make a silicone 2-piece mold and buy that VERY expensive liquid urethane (2-part liquid mix). ...and that will only get me as far as being able to make a respectable replica of this stock pre-facelift bumper. Once I get the hang of that, I'll make one and mod it to fit the facelift, then make a mold of that too. It's going to be a VERY expensive and VERY lengthy process, but I'm determined to do it. Hell I might have the only example of a brand new, never ever used lip for one of these cars.

The Urethane mix alone is about $300, and the silicone needed to make the mold is another $150-200, and that doesn't even take into account the many many hours I'll be doing prep, trial-and-error, tinkering, modifiying, trimming, and fitting, etc. ...but I really want to do this.

Joay
09-04-2009, 07:11 AM
How hard is it to mate to a newer bumper? I've never looked closely at a pre-facelift in person so I don't recognize the differences. Obviously it's difficult to make anything fit something it doesn't fit but how far off is it?

Nafs Asdf
09-04-2009, 07:12 AM
How hard is it to mate to a newer bumper? I've never looked closely at a pre-facelift in person so I don't recognize the differences. Obviously it's difficult to make anything fit something it doesn't fit but how far off is it?

the sides are a bit longer, otherwise it's pretty much the same I think.

markmdz89hatch
09-04-2009, 07:30 AM

Naf's is right, the sides are a bit longer on the facelift bumper, and the front is a tiny bit wider too I think. Basically, it's a pain in the balls. I'm hoping I can just modify the sides and use the same front piece for pre and post facelift bumpers, but we shall see.

1987AccordLx-i
09-05-2009, 02:22 PM

Dang! haha does any other lip besides the 1st gen teg fit the facelift? i want it to look good how yours does

EDIT: will the pre-facelift bumper fit the 88-89 coupe? i like the look a bit better then the facelift one... looks too bulky and fat imo

Civic Accord Honda
09-05-2009, 06:49 PM
Dang! haha does any other lip besides the 1st gen teg fit the facelift? i want it to look good how yours does

EDIT: will the pre-facelift bumper fit the 88-89 coupe? i like the look a bit better then the facelift one... looks too bulky and fat imo

yeah u can put a hatch/preface bumper on it ^_^

1987AccordLx-i
09-07-2009, 09:39 AM
yeah u can put a hatch/preface bumper on it ^_^

so only the ones from the hatch will work?

Nafs Asdf
09-07-2009, 11:34 AM
so only the ones from the hatch will work?

86-89 hatch or 86-87 coupe/sedan, they all have the same bumper

1987AccordLx-i
09-07-2009, 11:47 AM

ok cool... i thought they had different mounting points or something different

Civic Accord Honda
09-08-2009, 12:50 AM

yep ^ except there is no such thing as a 86-87 coupe lol

Nafs Asdf
09-08-2009, 01:19 AM
yep ^ except there is no such thing as a 86-87 coupe lol

ok, but if there was it would have the same bumper ;)

A18A
09-08-2009, 01:44 AM
they look way cool on a facelift bumper lol
http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/3161/frontview.jpg

A18A
09-08-2009, 01:44 AM
they look way cool on a facelift bumper lol
http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/3161/frontview.jpg

markmdz89hatch
09-08-2009, 07:29 AM
ok cool... i thought they had different mounting points or something different

They do. You'll also need the bumper support (the steel part) and the styrofoam backing inside the bumper cover. ...then you're good.

Rendon LX-i
09-08-2009, 07:53 AM
i got a G1 lip and the side are wey to long...some assuming its not for a 86 style bumper but a 88-89 should work nice.....I have a cb7 stock lip on my accord...bolted right up...so i might try to get a nice lip so there so many out there for a cb7...Just letting you know

Nafs Asdf
09-08-2009, 10:10 AM
They do. You'll also need the bumper support (the steel part) and the styrofoam backing inside the bumper cover. ...then you're good.

Styrofoam schmyrofoam... got none of that over here.

chillphillyphil
09-10-2009, 06:14 PM
Geee, sure wish someone would make some molds of their ORIGINAL OEM lip! You could make some money .

markmdz89hatch
10-14-2009, 06:42 AM
Geee, sure wish someone would make some molds of their ORIGINAL OEM lip! You could make some money .

Well I just got off the phone with a company that sells mold making (silicone) and tons of different liquid urethanes for reproducing products. I already picked up a full sample pack of all the products they have, and picked out one that will be a very very close match to the oem abs lip.

...good part is, the urethane, hardener, pigment/dye, and release agent is only going to cost me about $65-80 (depending on the amount of urethane I'm going to need).

...the real big problem though is the damn silicone for the mold. I'll need about 5-6 gallons of the crap and to the tune of about $100 per gallon I'd rather stick a fork in my eye. I'm still going to try and make this happen, but it'll definitely be delayed until Jan/Feb of next year if not longer.

carotman
10-14-2009, 08:00 AM
I'm missing one of the sides for my lip so count me as one of your customers! (Unless I find am OEM side lip)

mykwikcoupe
10-14-2009, 09:23 AM
Well I just got off the phone with a company that sells mold making (silicone) and tons of different liquid urethanes for reproducing products. I already picked up a full sample pack of all the products they have, and picked out one that will be a very very close match to the oem abs lip.

...good part is, the urethane, hardener, pigment/dye, and release agent is only going to cost me about $65-80 (depending on the amount of urethane I'm going to need).

...the real big problem though is the damn silicone for the mold. I'll need about 5-6 gallons of the crap and to the tune of about $100 per gallon I'd rather stick a fork in my eye. I'm still going to try and make this happen, but it'll definitely be delayed until Jan/Feb of next year if not longer.

talk with iceman or twonza on this. They seem to be very good with molds and such. Maybe they know of a way to go without or use as little as possible. Id be in for sure. Front and back yo

dacantu
10-14-2009, 10:39 AM
If you manage to make the mold Mark im in too. I've got the funds put aside! lol

Joay
10-14-2009, 11:14 AM
Accepting pre-order deposits?

mykwikcoupe
10-14-2009, 11:15 AM
Accepting pre-order deposits?

great idea really. The only issue would be the finish timeline and number of preorder requests. The more poeple, less out of pocket the better. However that leads to more biulds and time required.

Shywun
10-14-2009, 08:56 PM
Ya I'd definitely be in for one of those lips... I just bought an 86 accord hatch and I've been looking for a front and back lip because I don't wanna go with the full body kit... And I can't find one anywhere... So ive been looking for alternatives for making a lip fit... But if u manage to make a replica I'll pay for that

Joay
10-15-2009, 07:06 AM
Ya I'd definitely be in for one of those lips... I just bought an 86 accord hatch and I've been looking for a front and back lip because I don't wanna go with the full body kit... And I can't find one anywhere... So ive been looking for alternatives for making a lip fit... But if u manage to make a replica I'll pay for that
Integra frot lips fit pretty close (in case you hadn't heard that already) but will not be as awesome as a big, fat Accord lip like Mark's.

markmdz89hatch
10-15-2009, 07:45 AM
alright guys, thanks for the offers/ideas of pre-order (as tempting as that is) but I just can't do it in good conscience as I'll then be on a set schedule to get these done. What I'm thinking I may do is get enough to make the a side piece just to test it out and see just how close I can get to the original. That'll be the test. If that comes out as planned, I'll spend the big $$ and get enough supplies for the entire lip.

What I'm worried about though is the cost. At nearly a $600 out of pocket cost for the materials I'd have to charge a hefty sum for the lips (providing they are perfect to a high standard) so I could recoop some of the expenses. It's not that they'll be expensive compared to other aftermarket lips out there for other cars, but compared to the $5-10 a junkyard 'teg lip might cost, or the $9 garage door seal, this would be a shell shock.

I paid $185 for my factory lip for my Protege and got a deal. Dealership list on it was over $200 at that time. ...I don't expect these to be that high, but about $150 is not out of the question if I could get these done. ...and even at that, until I sold about 5-6 of them, I'd still be underwater on the project.

Joay
10-15-2009, 09:24 AM
$150 is less than I would have expected them to be based on how you make the process sound. If they came out anywhere under $300, honestly, I'd find a way to get one. I'm still looking for an OEM, but if I can't find one I really hope you can make replicas. They should've sold that lip as an option on all Accords.

markmdz89hatch
10-15-2009, 09:31 AM
$150 is less than I would have expected them to be based on how you make the process sound. If they came out anywhere under $300, honestly, I'd find a way to get one. I'm still looking for an OEM, but if I can't find one I really hope you can make replicas. They should've sold that lip as an option on all Accords.

it was an option for the 86-87 Accords and all hatches. ...just that near no-one opted for it.

mykwikcoupe
10-15-2009, 12:02 PM
you have already recieved an offer for the factory one at $200. If they look as good as OEM and can pass as factory, that seems like a great starting place. Id think it wouldnt be out of the question to sell them for $200 a piece and Im sure those of us on the board that are looking for the super clean factory look would be more then willing to shell it out. Id be in for 1 assuming I can find a better way to dress the pre facelift lenses

markmdz89hatch
10-15-2009, 12:14 PM
you have already recieved an offer for the factory one at $200. If they look as good as OEM and can pass as factory, that seems like a great starting place. Id think it wouldnt be out of the question to sell them for $200 a piece and Im sure those of us on the board that are looking for the super clean factory look would be more then willing to shell it out. Id be in for 1 assuming I can find a better way to dress the pre facelift lenses

Don't forget Mike, I'm also doing this with the goal to be able to re-use the front piece but fabricate new side pieces to fit the facelift bumper with an oem fit.