PDA

View Full Version : dying carpet,

lostforawhile
08-07-2009, 10:25 PM
hey looking to get that red carpet from Charlie, anyone else ever dyed carpet? i did some searching and a lot of people say to soak it in ritz dye, i would think that wouldn't work,but some people have had it hold up five years already with no fading, say to make it a little more concentrated then usual, I don't think going from dark red to black should be a problem, most people had to do two applications and let it dry between the two. any thoughts? of course it would be dyed OUTSIDE of the car lol. I'm thinking ritz is an acid based type dye,which is whats recomended. I saw some expensive kits to do this,but a lot of people have been successful with the ritz. I don't want to use spray cans of course, that stuff makes the carpet stiff as a board.

nswst8
08-07-2009, 11:05 PM
Its worth a try, I could see red tint in the black color showing up.

But if that didn't work I would suggest carpet dye with the use of a carpet rake.

Its what I used on a few of my rental properties, it wasn't perfect but effective.

lostforawhile
08-07-2009, 11:08 PM
Its worth a try, I could see red tint in the black color showing up.

But if that didn't work I would suggest carpet dye with the use of a carpet rake.

Its what I used on a few of my rental properties, it wasn't perfect but effective.
well i figure with it out of the car and completly submersed in the dye, and a couple of applications,it should totally cover it. the rit is the stuff you put in hot water, the hotter the better. it's not spray stuff.

SZfiftyfour
08-08-2009, 07:09 AM
It can't hurt to try it, I've been wondering if this would work as well. So what are you gonna use to submerge it? The bathtub might work...

lostforawhile
08-08-2009, 07:42 AM
It can't hurt to try it, I've been wondering if this would work as well. So what are you gonna use to submerge it? The bathtub might work...
not sure yet, in my searching on the web it looks like this has been tried with sucess

charliekuney
08-08-2009, 08:43 AM
WWCD? Ask a carpet store.

lostforawhile
08-08-2009, 11:53 AM
WWCD? Ask a carpet store.well i've searched on the web and found a bunch of people who had this come out really nice using the rit, just takes patience.

ghettogeddy
08-08-2009, 11:57 AM
are you gona match the drapes lol

jk jk
anyways

should go get one of those lil cheap kid pools one the carpet would fit in you can get them for like 10 bucks at walmart
then load it with water and dye and stick it in there for a day or so lol should be about right

lostforawhile
08-08-2009, 11:59 AM
are you gona match the drapes lol

jk jk
anyways

should go get one of those lil cheap kid pools one the carpet would fit in you can get them for like 10 bucks at walmart
then load it with water and dye and stick it in there for a day or so lol should be about right
not a bad idea, they have em for five bucks here, carpet is being dyed black,plain and simple. shouldn't be a problem turning a darker color to black at all.

2oodoor
08-08-2009, 01:40 PM
you can alwayss use the kiddie pool as a ghetto jacuzzi afterwards in these hot August days...
Do you have to rinse the rit out once applied.?

Geddy he don't have no drapes. LOL rofl

jk Tim