PDA

View Full Version : '89 Accord chimes/beepers, seat belt light, and low fuel light MIA

automan9482
08-10-2009, 10:41 AM
This is a weird problem that I have yet to figure out, RE: beepers and fasten belts light. They just plain don't work under everyday conditions. However, if the battery is disconnected for anything, and then reconnected, the key-in/seat belt beeper/seat belt light/headlight chimer will work for 2-3 cycles. That is if the ignition switch is turned on after the battery is reconnected, then turned off, and on, then off, they work. After the second or 3rd time of turning the key "on" (or start) they won't work unless the battery is unhooked again.
I replaced the "beeper unit" located under the dash as suggested on a different forum, but it didn't change jack. Not crucial, but something that'd be nice to have working again. Any thoughts?
Also, the low fuel light has never worked. The gauge does work, and seems fairly accurate though. Where do I start with that?

1987AccordLx-i
08-10-2009, 10:53 AM
This is a weird problem that I have yet to figure out, RE: beepers and fasten belts light. They just plain don't work under everyday conditions. However, if the battery is disconnected for anything, and then reconnected, the key-in/seat belt beeper/seat belt light/headlight chimer will work for 2-3 cycles. That is if the ignition switch is turned on after the battery is reconnected, then turned off, and on, then off, they work. After the second or 3rd time of turning the key "on" (or start) they won't work unless the battery is unhooked again.
I replaced the "beeper unit" located under the dash as suggested on a different forum, but it didn't change jack. Not crucial, but something that'd be nice to have working again. Any thoughts?
Also, the low fuel light has never worked. The gauge does work, and seems fairly accurate though. Where do I start with that?
ive been having a similar problem... my key-in chime doesnt work AND my low fuel light...

lostforawhile
08-10-2009, 12:56 PM
ive been having a similar problem... my key-in chime doesnt work AND my low fuel light...check the reverse light fuse

Dr_Snooz
08-10-2009, 07:57 PM

You sure you want all that racket working? It took me months to find all that crap and unplug it. Now I have peace in the car.

EX-ileAccord
08-10-2009, 08:03 PM
There is a gray box under the dash that controls all the beeping, just under the radio. Sounds like yours is ready to give up. pretty sure it controls the low fuel light and some other things too.

automan9482
08-11-2009, 08:28 AM
Hey all,
reverse lights/fuse are ok. Yes, I'd like everything to work, I'm just picky like that. As for the beeper unit, what I replaced was under the dash on the driver's side, under the steering column, attached behind the lower valance under the column. You're saying this unit is actually under the radio?? I wonder what the hell I replaced? You don't mean to the left of the radio, do you?

lostforawhile
08-11-2009, 09:21 AM
Hey all,
reverse lights/fuse are ok. Yes, I'd like everything to work, I'm just picky like that. As for the beeper unit, what I replaced was under the dash on the driver's side, under the steering column, attached behind the lower valance under the column. You're saying this unit is actually under the radio?? I wonder what the hell I replaced? You don't mean to the left of the radio, do you?

you replaced the dimmer unit for the lights or the chime. look under the radio behind the center console area and there's a large gray or black box, largest box on the car in that area.

automan9482
08-11-2009, 01:08 PM
I'll replace the correct one under the stereo then. Haynes manual just shows a typical dash shot, and shows the unit close to the column, which was the same answer I got elsewhere. I didn't even think to look under stereo.
http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu201/lovesastickshift/100_1082.jpg

Cheers! :beer: Thanks!

Civic Accord Honda
08-11-2009, 02:38 PM
you replaced the dimmer unit for the lights or the chime. look under the radio behind the center console area and there's a large gray or black box, largest box on the car in that area.
yep and its held on with 2 10mm bolts... once i found mine i stuck a soldering iron in the speaker to shut it up :lol:

b20a86lude
08-11-2009, 04:01 PM
hey is there any way yo update that thing with a diff sound

automan9482
08-11-2009, 04:10 PM

You mean did I add any upgrades, or will I? I only put in the Prelude CD player to replace an aftermarket stereo that was fried. The speakers etc. are all factory. As far as doing any upgrades, I like what it has, and don't plan to change it.

1987AccordLx-i
08-11-2009, 05:09 PM

+1.... can i hook up the headlight bell so that it rings when the doors are open or the key-in? i love how the bell sounds and i think it would be pretty cool to hear that when the doors open

automan9482
08-12-2009, 08:15 AM
D'oh, I misundertood your ? b20a. If there's a way to make the chimer have a different noise, I don't know what it is.

lostforawhile
08-12-2009, 02:07 PM
D'oh, I misundertood your ? b20a. If there's a way to make the chimer have a different noise, I don't know what it is.

if you could get the box open it would be easy, but it's sealed together so you can't open it.

automan9482
08-29-2009, 07:13 PM
I replaced the timer unit today, and got the seat belt and key beeper to work, but still no headlight chime. 2 out of 3 ain't bad I guess.

lostforawhile
08-29-2009, 08:07 PM
I replaced the timer unit today, and got the seat belt and key beeper to work, but still no headlight chime. 2 out of 3 ain't bad I guess.

checked for voltage at the chime?

automan9482
08-31-2009, 04:47 AM
Haven't looked to see what or where to test for the chime yet, I've got half a dozen projects all wanting attention. Glad to have the beeper working though, maybe now I won't lock the keys in. :bong:

charliekuney
08-31-2009, 08:51 AM
Mine is very...intermittent...and I only have one key. My last coupe came with eight keys.