PDA

View Full Version : Block Heater Idea

garfunkle55
08-11-2009, 10:09 PM
Not really sure if this will work, but I figured I would see what everyone thought about it.

The thing is I don't like waiting for my car to warm up, but I wait cause you gotta. Just makes life easier.

So what I'm thinking is instead of hooking up a block heater and having the cord hanging around some where. You could hook it up to the alternator power output with a switch. And when you hop in your car you flip the switch, activate your choke, then start the car. Hopefully making your car warm up much faster even without an outlet. Once its where you'd like it just flip the switch off and head out.

Anybody know if this would work? Just an idea.

lostforawhile
08-11-2009, 10:36 PM
Not really sure if this will work, but I figured I would see what everyone thought about it.

The thing is I don't like waiting for my car to warm up, but I wait cause you gotta. Just makes life easier.

So what I'm thinking is instead of hooking up a block heater and having the cord hanging around some where. You could hook it up to the alternator power output with a switch. And when you hop in your car you flip the switch, activate your choke, then start the car. Hopefully making your car warm up much faster even without an outlet. Once its where you'd like it just flip the switch off and head out.

Anybody know if this would work? Just an idea.it's been tried in the past on other cars, the problem is if you are in cold weather, the point is to have the block heated up before you start the car. if you have to start the car then turn on a heater it defeats the reason for having it,also it would take forever to heat up, block heaters are designed to heat a block over a long period of time,like overnight. it's been tried on cars,boats,planes etc, and it nver worked right, always back to the plug in model. I remember Tannis expermented with this and gave up.

2ndGenGuy
08-11-2009, 10:49 PM
Yeah I think the firey explosions inside your engine will heat it up quicker than an electric element. :D

labeledsk8r
08-11-2009, 11:41 PM
Yeah I think the firey explosions inside your engine will heat it up quicker than an electric element. :D

word

one thing i looked into when i was out west was a magnetic block heater and a oil dipstick heater, both of these items can be removed rather quickly and keep the motor somewhat warm (not as good as a freeze plug installed unit, but still) you can pick up a normal catz magnetic unit for around 45-70 bucks depending were you go

garfunkle55
08-12-2009, 12:31 AM
I gotcha, thanks for the heads up before I went and wasted some money on it.

Just another idea, throwin it out there for whoever makes the decisions around here. Maybe there could be a sub-section in Carb Tech thats strictly for Weber carburetors, or perhaps a general aftermarket carbs section. Like I said, its just an idea I had.