PDA

View Full Version : Help me get my car started...

LXiHatch88
08-12-2009, 10:27 PM
Ok, so I am getting to work on my hatch. Most probably don't remember me, but as a refresher, I bought an '88 LXi Hatch back in March that's in good shape as far as the body goes, but it has over 300,000 miles, and the engine idles rough and has been overheated multiple times, transmission has no 5th gear and the clutch is shot. I have an '89 LXi 4 door that's been hit pretty hard in the front with much lower mileage and runs excellent, but unfortunately it has an auto trans. So I found another '89 LXI 4 door on Criagslist for super cheap that just recently had the 5 speed rebuilt, new clutch, resurfaced flywheel, new throwout bearing, and new CV axles installed, then the kid that had it thought he was speed racer and right after all that work was done, the engine spun a bearing, so it knocks really bad now. Plan is to put the low mileage engine from the wrecked car and the trans and all that from the other 4 door together, and drop them into the Hatch. Then throw the auto trans from the wrecked car behind the high mileage engine, and toss it back into the non wrecked 4 door, and turn around and see if I can sell it for enough to essentially have no money in all this (I'd need to get $700 out of it for that to happen). But anyway life has gotten n the way over the past few months and I just haven't had time to touch the cars, until now.

So now that I'm back on it, I went ahead last weekend and pulled the engine and trans out of the wrecked 89 4 door car. Then I was going to move onto pulling the engine and trans out of the second 4 door that's not wrecked. When I realized, I have no clue what I did with the key to it. :banghead: :uh:

Being that I have 2 other Honda's, I tried the keys from both of those in it. The key from my hatch felt like it would just almost turn the lock on the door of the car with the bad motor. I jiggled it around some and pulled it in and out really fast (that's what she said), and what do you know, the door actually unlocked. I guess the ignition switch is tighter then the door lock though, because no matter how much I screw with it I can't get it to turn.

I've looked everywhere, and the only key I had to the car seems to have just dropped off the face of the earth. So what are my options here? Could a lock smith make a key for the car with basically nothing to go on? If it just absolutely comes down to it I guess I'll have to drill out the lock tumbler, but man I really don't want to do that. I've got a 5 day weekend coming up and really want to get some good progress made on this project. If you've actually bothered to read this long winded post, thank you.

ecogabriel
08-15-2009, 10:26 AM
The only thing I can think of that would be cheaper than a locksmith is asking a dealer to cut a key for you. They will ask for your registration tag and with that and the VIN they will go to the back room and get a brand new key for you.

But you may not get the registration as the cars are under repair. You may have the title signed up by the car's previous owner and that might be enough. Asking a dealer what they would ask as "proof of ownership" would be best. It does not cost that much; the new key for our Civic cost (year and a half ago) about 8 bucks.

A locksmith may make your cylinder lock to work with another key or one that he may have.

LXiHatch88
08-15-2009, 08:28 PM
Yea, I do have the title in my name, not registered though. I sent an email to the previous owner this morning to see if there is any chance they may have an extra key laying around. Long shot, but who knows...

ecogabriel
08-16-2009, 10:51 AM
Yea, I do have the title in my name, not registered though. I sent an email to the previous owner this morning to see if there is any chance they may have an extra key laying around. Long shot, but who knows...

I would call a dealer and ask them what they need from you in order to cut you a key for the car (besides the VIN) I use my tag registration (I have it with me) maybe something else would work too. You may get a brand new key that works for starter, doors, trunk, glovebox, and rear seat lock.