PDA

View Full Version : alternator(2 battery ?)

headbanger
08-14-2009, 08:34 AM
ok heres the question I hooked up 2 batterys in my car the way I hooked them up is I grounded the negative for battery in trunk to the body in trunk then ran heavy gauge wire to the front batterys postive side.On my way home this evening noticed my stereo started cutting on an off an gauges were reading to low and car started missfiring I finally made it home an turned it off an it wouldnt start back the batterys was dead theyve been working great for like 2 or 3 weeks I figure alternator is shot but was wondering if having batterys hooked up like this caused alternator to fry or if it just happened.Also does any one know off higher amp alternator I could put in that doesnt cost a butload of money like factory one from another car that will fit.thx alot guyz

Pico
08-14-2009, 10:04 AM
As far as I know if you run 2 batterys you'll need a batter isolator.
It will regulate the charge between both batteries, by charging the second battery when it gets below a certain voltage

russiankid
08-14-2009, 10:58 AM
Your second battery is basically a back up for when your sound system really needs it and as Pico said it will be charged when needed.

headbanger
08-14-2009, 12:33 PM
Ok.I talked to guy a few minutes ago who has been rebuilding alternators an starters for years an he said that havong batterys hooked this way would not affect alternator in anyway.He explained it all to me an it makes since.But what about the alternator itself it seems like some1 on here a while back was selling an alternator off another car that would fit ours but charged at higher amps.Do any of you know what car it was off of?